Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childers Road Retail Park

Options
  • 22-12-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I was out shopping there today, and got most of the stuff I needed......all good so far....

Then went back to the car and it took an hour and ten minutes to get out of the car park! :mad:

And all the while people were queue-jumping, squeezing between the barriers, driving over footpaths (3 cars did this just inside the entrance, directly opposite the guy who was supposedly "directing traffic", and he didn't even give them a dirty look).

Absolute joke! I had almost zero Christmas spirit left by the time I got home....

If you value your time, avoid it like the plague until they cop themselves on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You can't say you weren't warned from here anyways.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got caught up in the periphery of that. Coming down from National Technology Park, saw the traffic was backed up to Singland motors in the right hand lane, all the way up to the Parkway Roundabout. Thought that the Childers road surely couldn't be worse.

Took me an hour and half to get home. Gardai presumably on the Parkway Roundabout, and the aforementioned one outside the childers road.

Whatever genius allowed a retail park to be built with one entrance should be sterilised, lest his genes pass on to future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Was up there on Monday, wasn't as bad as that but not great either, in fairness its a disaster of a car park but peoples behavior makes it all the worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MarkR wrote: »
    I got caught up in the periphery of that. Coming down from National Technology Park, saw the traffic was backed up to Singland motors in the right hand lane, all the way up to the Parkway Roundabout. Thought that the Childers road surely couldn't be worse.

Took me an hour and half to get home. Gardai presumably on the Parkway Roundabout, and the aforementioned one outside the childers road.

Whatever genius allowed a retail park to be built with one entrance should be sterilised, lest his genes pass on to future generations.

It is a recurring theme with retail parks in Limerick.

Childer road retail Park
    Parkway Retail Park
    Parkway Shopping Centre
    Eastpoint (or whatever the name is of the one where Wickes is)

There are a few others, but all were built on busy roads with just one exit point.

Hell even the Crescent Shopping centre which was looking to expand in size has only two exits and both go onto the same stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We went to exchange something in Next today but went at 9am and it was very easy.

We are going to go shopping tomorrow night and have accepted that the Parkway will be busy but ANYBODY who needs to use Childers road retail park needs to park over by the GAA pitch.

All the people stupid enough to use Childers road retail park tonight were causing havoc on the Tipperary road roundabout. I was trying to leave town and because the masses were coming from Mulgrave St and Childers road it was gridlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Strange, I was down there earlier. Left there at quarter to 8 exactly and had no problem, straight out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

traffic is fairly bad all right round the parkway.. and chidlers road.. took me bout 80 mins to get from ul to town on saturday on the bus :O Kind of a joke really!! would have walked faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

My sister in law got caught there for a few hours trying to get out once. She almost had to call the gardai to rescue her because she had a small baby and was running low on milk etc.

She almost had to call the gardai to rescue her because she had a small baby and was running low on milk etc.

She must have been joking right.....................hardly an emergency. :rolleyes: I was stuck in traffic today and hungry myself but I didn't consider ringing the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

lads lads lads....try working there!
    the place is an absolute joke the majority of the time. I think that most people who shop there are too thick to realise the one-way system in place in the car parking areas, arrows are clearly painted on the ground! the lads who 'direct' traffic there are a joke too. they should get a boot up the hole! they do sweet feck all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Berty wrote: »
    She must have been joking right.....................hardly an emergency. :rolleyes: I was stuck in traffic today and hungry myself but I didn't consider ringing the Gardai.

Did you have a small baby without food? If you had a baby in the car and after 2 hours it looked like you could be there for another 2 hours what would you do?

Did you have a small baby without food? If you had a baby in the car and after 2 hours it looked like you could be there for another 2 hours what would you do?

Get out and go into Dunnes and get some more. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

daca88 wrote: »
    the lads who 'direct' traffic there are a joke too. they should get a boot up the hole! they do sweet feck all

+1 on that!

People squeezing cars through the barriers to jump the queues - not a word from those directing.

And the one that beat all was when I finally got near the exit, there were 5 cars coming out against the traffic going in, out over the path, with one of the "guys directing traffic" directly opposite them - and he didn't bat an eyelid!

It's true about planning, though.......all of the retail parks and shopping centres seem to have 3 or 4 entrances (get more people in) and once they've bought stuff, feck 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That retail park is the worst. I always try and park to the right when you go in as its the easiest side to get out of!

Do the lads directing traffic have any powers to be directing traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

NO they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nice one so if they tell me i cant turn right seeing as they blocked off that lane!

Not that I will be going there anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

and for some reason there's a guard outside the RP at the lights directing traffic? what a waste...thats why the lights are there no?
    get him inside the car park pulling people going the wrong way along the one ways, people causing obstructions by leaving their cars everywhere and also the hoards of scum that frequent the place!

I normally ignore them because the lines on the road tell you which way to go. Likewise in Douglas in Cork in a multistorey they kept putting their hands up to stop my lane of traffic moving to let the other move. FFS they have a stop sign right under for effin' feet. GTFO.

The guys last night from Arthurs Quay shopping centre were standing on the road helping their customers into bumper to bumper traffic. He stood in front of me, I put my hand on the horn until he finally looked at me and said "get out of my way unless you work for Traffic Corps". Fvcker had gotten 6 cars in front of me at this stage when I was already 25 minutes late because of Christmas traffic.

When I do have to go into Childers road I always go right and park down by KFC because of the small exit which is not well known or used which gets you right to the front of the queue. BUT one day they refused to let people turn right, you had to go all the way up to Burtons to come all the way back down. The traffic was not moving but do you think the monkey boys they hired to control traffic were intelligent enough to figure that out. NO FVCKING WAY.

I was in Next the other morning, as mentioned, and I was driving across the car park to find these road closed signs. WTF. I just drove through the middle of them. What a waste of money! (Car park was empty btw, just didn't want to go around because I would have crashed in the ice anyway)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I avoid the entire childers road for the 4 weeks around Christmas. Not worth the stress of the traffic tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Berty wrote: »
    Get out and go into Dunnes and get some more. :rolleyes:

Ha Ha great answer ROFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If going to Childers Road, go between 9am and 10am, or after 7pm. Any other time and you'll be screwed. I just came back from Smyths and Dunnes and got in and out no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I just go as late as possible to these places for shopping around christmas, was in Tesco on the coonagh roundabout at 11pm the other night and there was hardly anyone there, its only self service checkouts as well so its so handy , i dont get why people stress themselves out going shopping at peak times, theres so many 24 hr places now theres no need to be caught in traffic when you're grocery shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tesco in Coonagh is even empty at the best of times. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bazz26 wrote: »
    Tesco in Coonagh is even empty at the best of times. :p

sssshhhh, thats why i go there :p let everyone else queue for the crescent and childers road ones, i'll take the easily accesible, dead quiet one

Im just home from the Parkway. I went in at 1:30PM and got out at 15:05PM. The car park was choco and I found a space way down towards the loading bays but slipped in through the staff door by the toilets.

It was busy but manageable. The muppets of course took a leaf out of the Childers road crowd and blocked traffic from heading towards the Bank to park to the right.

Also the illegaly clamped a car parked on double yellow lines by Xtravision. No signs = no Clamp so they would want to take it off for free otherwise they could be sucessfully sued.

When I was leaving the parkway there were NO queues leaving at all. There was one car in front of me and both of us sailed through the roundabout, out the Dublin road, which was only busy inbound, and home. :D

An old woman did push me in Dunnes(must have been a last Turkey announcement or something) but I clipped her back with the wheel of the trolley when I saw her again. :D

But FFS the amount of people who were taking up two spaces was unreal. There was no stereotyping needed, they were all makes, models, years and sizes. There were lots of people standing mindlessly around the aisles and abandoned trolleys. I assumed they were the people who owned the cars outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

Dont know what the problem is, I left Crossagalla Industrial estate on the Tipp road today at 15.30, drove down to Lelia St and collected my wife, headed back out to Superquin, collected our Turkey & ham and a few more bits of shopping and was back in front of the Absolute hotel by 16.40. I didn't have blow the hooter, hassel any parking attendants or break the ROTR, though the cars coming from Pennywell blocking the junction tried my patience a bit.

I cant understand people using Childers Rd and Gerald Griffin St in particular this time of year, they look like car parks the traffic is so slow moving.

Advertisement