Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone see the Baptism on "Corrie"?

Options
  • 22-12-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

I've just seen a repeat of last nights "Corrie" on TV3 where Sophie Webster is given an adult baptism.

I haven't been following this, and dont know what the script writers angle is on it, but it seemed to be a serious story line. Nice to see Christianity getting an airing on a Soap, although perhaps some of the details of the baptism were incorrect...

Interestingly the Radio Times didnt mention this in their write-up of the episode. It will probably be repeated again on ITV2 over the coming days.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Personally I think its written as part of an 'anti establishment' teenage phase.* There is little doubt that the character will drift from her religion as time goes on.

The one thing I do like about Corrie is that it has perhaps the most heart warming portrayal of the kindly old Christian woman on TV ever (Emily Bishop)

*Its remarkable that Christianity is now 'anti establishment'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Adult baptism by total immersion and the minister referred to as "Pastor" - I assumed that Sophie was being baptised into a Baptist or Pentecostal (certainly Protestant Nonconformist) church. So it was surprising in the episode broadcast on Christmas Eve that Kevin Webster talked about going with Sally and Sophie to "Mass".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I predict that, in keeping with the portayal of Christianity in popular media, the pastor will turn out to be a homocidal maniac who kidnaps Sophie, or that the church will soon be revealed to be a dangerous cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

hivizman wrote: »
    Adult baptism by total immersion and the minister referred to as "Pastor" - I assumed that Sophie was being baptised into a Baptist or Pentecostal (certainly Protestant Nonconformist) church. So it was surprising in the episode broadcast on Christmas Eve that Kevin Webster talked about going with Sally and Sophie to "Mass".

Either the script writers got their facts wrong or they refer to the fact that Kevin is nominally Catholic - in my experience Catholics would routinely refer to communion/the Lord's Supper as Mass, regardless of the church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

homer911 wrote: »
    Either the script writers got their facts wrong or they refer to the fact that Kevin is nominally Catholic - in my experience Catholics would routinely refer to communion/the Lord's Supper as Mass, regardless of the church

In my experience nominal Catholics refer to any Church service as 'mass'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement