Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory - Crashing into your own car

Options
  • 22-12-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Juts wondering there. I cam close to reversing into my other car in my car. Luckily, I copped it on time. What would have happened if I wouldve? Would I still be able to claim insurance on both cars, despite the insurance being in my name on both (two seperate policies). Just a thought that popped into my head!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, you'd claim off the policy of the car you were driving. Trying to claim off both would be illegal and very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Confab wrote: »
    No, you'd claim off the policy of the car you were driving. Trying to claim off both would be illegal and very noticeable.

Not if they were with two different insurance companies. Many insurance companies in some cases will share the burden of the claims.

It would be nice to be a fly on the wall for that conversation with the assessor.

As long as you have an Insurable interest in both vehicles there is nothing untoward about it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Berty wrote: »
    Not if they were with two different insurance companies. Many insurance companies in some cases will share the burden of the claims.

It would be nice to be a fly on the wall for that conversation with the assessor.

As long as you have an Insurable interest in both vehicles there is nothing untoward about it.

Which is exactly my thinking. Someone could easily scam two insurance companies for two new(er) cars if they were both shitboxes. Not that it would be of any major benefit, but it would be an interesting dispute between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

How could you claim for 2 newer cars if they were both ****boxes ???
    the insurance companies will only pay out the market value of the car, and believe me there market value is not the same as the one used by the revenue to calculate VRT

Sorry, what I mean is that you would have the claim amounts for both cars, and in turn, buy a new single car. Im not trying to do this, dont worry! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If you only damaged a car by reversing into it (presumably at low speed) would it really be worth claiming at all considering the higher renewal premiums you'd end up getting?

Top Dog, Im not acutally claiming, dont worry! :) It just popped into my head earlier, so got me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I know mate, I saw in the OP where you said you nearly hit your other car.

I'm just looking at it from the angle that if you just reversed into another car, then the damage probably wouldn't be that huge, so would it really be worth the hassle and higher premiums to claim at all ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Surely the policy on the car you were driving would have paid out on both cars.

Unless of course you did a hit-and-run. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

:D that would fool them!!!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement