Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Blacklisted as Spammers Causes Chaos for Businesses

Options
  • 22-12-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Eircom are set to bring misery and pain to their broadband customers this festive season. It seems that they have been blacklisted for hosting spammers on their servers. This is causing problems for any customer who uses eircoms servers to relay e-mail, or for any customers who have their own e-mail server using an eircom IP address as they are effectively blacklisted too. Certain recipient servers will reject the e-mail being sent because of this fact. Currently it is affecting all my customers who have eircom broadband. If you want to check and see if your company is blacklisted go to www.mxtoolbox.com and type in your companies domain name i.e. company.com This is unbeliveable and unacceptable at this time of year when comapnies are rushing to get orders out. When I spoke to eircom corporate support they where their usual blase selves. The official line is that they should have it under control in the new year some time???!:mad::mad::mad:

AJ

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is not new, the blacklisting affects many eircom IP addresses because the dopey fuks won't manage them. Some have been blacklisted for years on end on the RBL and Spamcop.

If their mail1 and mail2 smtp servers are now blacklisted as well as the IP blocks and numbers then that is unacceptable incompetence.

Turning your DSL modem off overnight ( by 10pm) sorts the problem by moving the blacklisted IP off somewhere else .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ajhalpin

Sponge Bob, they are Blacklisted at level three which appears to mean all Eircom servers, not just IP ranges.

AJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If your business relies, even a small bit, on email and e-communication, then you should register a domain and get a hosting plan. Having your own email will get you away from relying on eircom, and it looks that little bit more professional too.

You can get simple hosting plans with domain for under €50 a year, so it's not even expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ajhalpin

Jor El,

all my customers have hosting plans and their own email servers. Its the IP addresses supplied by eircom broadband that are the problem.

AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Small companies (< 50 people) can also move their mail handling to Google for free, which you can be pretty sure is never going to get blacklisted by any company who wants to stay solvent.

For small companies, gmail gives corporation-class mail services for free, basically. It's the way I'm advising every small company to go. If the company grows, you can take control of your mail back again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If its that much of an issue just user Google as you SMTP Mail relay

You just need a google account and set that as your outgoing mail server while having eircom as your incoming.

Doesn't matter if your Sent from address is not google.com

or you can pay for one too :
    http://www.smtpbridge.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If their mail1 and mail2 smtp servers are now blacklisted as well as the IP blocks and numbers then that is unacceptable incompetence.

mail1 and mail2 are the same server....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

craichoe wrote: »
    If its that much of an issue just user Google as you SMTP Mail relay

You just need a google account and set that as your outgoing mail server while having eircom as your incoming.

Doesn't matter if your Sent from address is not google.com

or you can pay for one too :
    http://www.smtpbridge.com/

Eircom addresses are on the PBL, by design, so they don't allow you to use other SMTP servers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will somehow need to rewrite the IP headers to get around a blacklist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

ajhalpin wrote: »
    Sponge Bob, they are Blacklisted at level three which appears to mean all Eircom servers, not just IP ranges.

AJ

mail1 is not blacklisted. So your customers can relay through that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

testicle wrote: »
    Eircom addresses are on the PBL, by design, so they don't allow you to use other SMTP servers.

I use my UPC.nl address with smtp.googlemail.com

Just requires that you authenticate with your Gmail credentials.

Only ISP SMTP servers require that you have an IP address in their range to allow you to send through their servers.

I can an e-mail with a return address of mickey@mouse.com if I like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ajhalpin wrote: »
    Jor El,

all my customers have hosting plans and their own email servers. Its the IP addresses supplied by eircom broadband that are the problem.

AJ

I doubt this is the case as your post suggests that they are still using eircoms outgoing mail server which is being blocked

They need to be using their own incoming AND outgoing mail servers then they won't have this problem with eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Nets/Comms

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I can only see eircom listed on uceprotect. They are notoriously draconian in their listings - looking at the link below it seems spam from 0.298 % of eircom total ips puts the entire range on their level 3 list.

http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?ipr=159.134.198.135

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the spam is coming from bots, viruses and open relays on eircom customer machines, this is common for all ISPs. Eircom do make an effort to chase these down but its not possible to completely prevent them.

For this reason many mail servers will not accept mail sent directly from known dialup or dynamically-assigned IP ranges (the UCEProtect list is one manifestation of this).

Occassionally spam might get relayed from an eircom customer through eircoms own servers resulting in one or more of them being blacklisted (mail1.eircom.net is a cluster of servers) - they react to this fairly quickly in order to get the affected servers de-listed.

If you want to avoid your mail being rejected, then either set your client or local mailserver to relay through mail1.eircom.net, or get your own RIPE-registered static IP space.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

craichoe wrote: »

I can an e-mail with a return address of mickey@mouse.com if I like.

Do tell...

Advertisement