Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear's executive producer answering criticism

Options
  • 22-12-2009 11:10am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Blog

Andy Wilman, the executive producer of Top Gear, responding on peopel saying Top gear is not what it was anymore.
    Found this on Finalgear.com so i suppose most have read this....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting read and I'd agree with everything pretty much, we're all older and wiser so the "oh!" factor has gone. It hard to keep re-inventing a motoring show.

My own thoughts are that TG should do what Dr Who has done, that is ditch the series format and go for a short series of tip-top 60-75 min specials which can be screened over the months of winter. At the same time developing a spin off series a la Torchwood.
    In the case of TG I would use a 30 min timeframe which features one or two of the TG presenters at any one time (plus familair guests like say Sabine Schmitz) in a transport challange format show.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its good to see that Andy still has passion about what hes doing and how he does it.

I agree with what he is saying and where he is coming from,its harder to make something that we are expecting because they have done nearly everything and that is a challenge in itself that TG has managed to overcome.

I dont expect to see TG on the for much longer, I would say maybe 2-3 years, thats what, 4-6 seasons maybe?

Lets enjoy it while we still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Andy is great... Really knows when they have a good show or a ****e show... He would be great to work for... Just for that one day you do a film and he says thats good.. Hes really hard to please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they guy is lieing they do prearrange races. of course they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

its a well known fact that the episode they went Caravaning, and the caravan went on fire. Was purposely set on fire. They do script things, its a feking TV show ffs.

Do you think Simon Cowell sees all 50,000 crap singers?
    He doesn't. Although he is a feckin good driver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The comments are a bit strange. Almost admitting it's been a crap series, but seeming to say like it or leave it. One thing that is encouraging, is the admission that the three are now playing characters and this is likely to stop. That can only be a good thing. I'm not sure there's any contrition or signs that other things will improve, but will shall see in the next series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I always enjoyed it but its more like men behaving badly with very little "motoring" info on it unless for cars that are out of most of our budgets.
    I have started watching fifth gear on channel five, not as funny maybe but brilliant car reviews like the passat and the new skoda superb which is more like what people want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is 5th gear still going? oh it seems it was stalled but is back in spring http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Gear#Cancellation_rumours_and_series_17_confirmed

Advertisement