Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you find a book for this woman???

Options
  • 22-12-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a book for my mum for Christmas. She was a very good reader when she was younger, but then fell out of reading what with the full time job of looking after me! She's only now getting back into reading light stuff (think Maeve Binchy!) just for the sake of reading, but I'd like to get her something along the light lines, but that she can get her teeth into and that would really bring back the joy of reading for her.
    Any suggestions would be great 'cause my reading taste is totally different to hers so I don't know where to start!
    Thanking you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

My missus just read "The Lovely Bones" and couldn't put it down. I saw it on sale in Tesco for €6.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend historic fiction, but The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory is very light and a real page-turner and would definitely get someone back into reading. It's also the first in a series so if she enjoyed it there's another great one to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

The shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella is a light fun read. I think theres like 6 books in the series. I've read them all and throughly enjoyed them, then they were pinched by my granny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

z_topaz wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a book for my mum for Christmas. She was a very good reader when she was younger, but then fell out of reading what with the full time job of looking after me! She's only now getting back into reading light stuff (think Maeve Binchy!) just for the sake of reading, but I'd like to get her something along the light lines, but that she can get her teeth into and that would really bring back the joy of reading for her.
    Any suggestions would be great 'cause my reading taste is totally different to hers so I don't know where to start!
    Thanking you!!!

If you want her to completely sink into a book, get her something by Martina Cole.

Now her books are all about the old East End and it's gangsters.

It might not sound like what you are looking for but Martina writes her books from a female perspective and they will hook your mam right from the start.

Try here.

But be prepared for your mam to only half listen to you when her head is stuck in one of these books.:pac:

TIP:

Make sure you start her off with Martina's first book, if she reads them in order she will love you forever.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

guys and even a mod , im pretty sure he got it sorted in almost a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think that she'd like The Help by Kathryn Stockett . It's written from the perspective of three women,two middle aged and one young, in 1960s America. It's a very engaging gripping read and you get completely involved in the characters lives from the first page.While its an easy and undemanding read it deals with enough weighty issues to keep you turning the pages and wondering what's going to happen all the way through.I'd defy any mammy not to enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Lol...
    Only just realized this thread is a year old!FFS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

antocann wrote: »
    guys and even a mod , im pretty sure he got it sorted in almost a year
    Lol...

Me too.:o

Ah well, it shows we are helpful to those who ask for it, even if we are a little eager.:p:pac:

I'll leave it up though, maybe someone else will have a question about this subject.:pac:

I blame Cutie18Ireland for highlighting it up in my User CP. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Lol...

We can still help her mum get a nice christmas present this year lol

I would recommend any Jodi Picoult book, its light reading, but the stories a gripping, and a lot of them are written from the perspective of a mother, which she might find she has something in common with! My mother loves them, and i think she has every one published so far. She too is an avid reader who's fallen out of the habit somewhat, so she really enjoyed these.

+ on the Martina Cole books, she loves those too, but i can't stand them-no borrowing them for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Thanks guys for being so helpful (even a year later)! In case anybody's interested, I got my mum The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. I don't think she's read it and, in fact, she seems to have hidden it somewhere (out of sight, out of mind).

I might try again this year though. A few good suggestions already. I'm definitely going to find her the perfect book by Christmas!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Does she like the old style books (set in 1880-1950), like Catherine cookson and josephine cox?

My mom does, but she also like the crime books from karin slaughter and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I would defo go with Jodi Picoult....maybe start with her most well know My Sister's Keeper.

Sounds like our mum's have similar taste and that book got her hooked on reading JP books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 peeweegirl

Thanks guys for being so helpful (even a year later)! In case anybody's interested, I got my mum The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. I don't think she's read it and, in fact, she seems to have hidden it somewhere (out of sight, out of mind).

ha ha ha! Im not surprised, have you read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo??! Its not one Id imagine any mother reading! God love her she was probably scarred for life!!
    Would deffo recomend the Lovely Bones or The Help - they are both terrific & easy going.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

peeweegirl wrote: »
    ha ha ha! Im not surprised, have you read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo??! Its not one Id imagine any mother reading! God love her she was probably scarred for life!!
    Would deffo recomend the Lovely Bones or The Help - they are both terrific & easy going.

My mother couldn't put down Dragon Tattoo(neither could I). Then she read the 2 sequels back to back in about a week.

They are funny things, Mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

My mother loves the twilight books - very strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

not my kinda book but my mam and other women her age are feckin ravin' about "angels in my hair" by lorna byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The House at Riverton

The Forgotten Garden

Both by Kate Morton and both unputdownable. I've recommended both to many people and everyone has been totally entranced by them. They are well written and have very strong story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Bicycle wrote: »
    The House at Riverton

The Forgotten Garden

Both by Kate Morton and both unputdownable. I've recommended both to many people and everyone has been totally entranced by them. They are well written and have very strong story lines.

I read both those books and still have them , i gave them to my mom to read, they are very like Catherine cookson's and josephine cox's books.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bassets

If your mother is a Maeve Binchy fan then try Geraldine O'Neill, her books are similiar to Maeve, easy reading and very enjoyable, my mother, mil, and granny love her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I'd agree with the House at Riverton - not a book I'd usually go for but I got it as a Christmas gift last year, didn't pick it up until going on holiday in the Summer and then I couldn't put it down -watching Downton Abbey on UTV recently really reminded me of that book -similar storyline and setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Thanking you!!!

Is she a sex and the city fan? how about Carrie diaries

Advertisement