Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any1 help, Car wrote off my mate's car

Options
  • 22-12-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭

My mate lost his job 3 weeks ago, now some wanker has doen a hit and run on his beamer and wrote it off, third party too :mad::mad:

He lives in Oaklands, just behind the Pavillions in Swords, so many people park there cars there to use the Pavillions

The car that hit his was a Silver/White Honda, that's all i have to go on, and it happened yesterday, late morning i think

This car has been spotted on Oaklands quite a bit so we're presuming that it could be some1 who actually works in the Pavillions.

Any boardsies help with this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

Im sure this is a silly question but have you gone to the gards and let them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

scudzilla wrote: »
    My mate lost his job 3 weeks ago, now some wanker has doen a hit and run on his beamer and wrote it off, third party too :mad::mad:

He lives in Oaklands, just behind the Pavillions in Swords, so many people park there cars there to use the Pavillions

The car that hit his was a Silver/White Honda, that's all i have to go on, and it happened yesterday, late morning i think

This car has been spotted on Oaklands quite a bit so we're presuming that it could be some1 who actually works in the Pavillions.

Any boardsies help with this???
    doesnt your friend have CAR INSURANCE !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

yep, he went to the gardai, they basically said they can't do anything.

He has insurance, but third party only so he won't be covered

Corkbah wrote: »
    doesnt your friend have CAR INSURANCE !!

re-read the ops post. he says his mate only has 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

ok...first .

Contact Gardai - report the matter.

Second - if you think the car will be in the Pavillions - stalk the pavillions in hope of spotting the car with paint from Beemer (chances are person wont repair it anytime soon) ...... if found - report to investigating garda.

ps. maybe also ask the shops in the area if theres any chance their CCTV caught the incident.

EDIT: As i typed it you already said you had gone to Gardai.... make sure you get investigating garda details and case number (so you know they actually have a file on it).... and as I mentioned ...next step - stalk the pavillions in search of culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

His friend only has 3rd party it seems. Damages to his own car are not covered.
    OP, unless you cab prove it was a certain car that hit your mates he's pretty much fecked. It's up to him to insure his car and with comprehensive it's would have been covered.

Was there scrapes etc or proper damage? Does the silver car have paint from the beamer? Take photos and ask the guards but they'll just say it's a civil matter as no-one was hurt.

scudzilla wrote: »
    yep, he went to the gardai, they basically said they can't do anything.

He has insurance, but third party only so he won't be covered

really?! surely thats a breach of the law and therefore warrents a gardi investigation into the matter to try help you. That is bad though. was the honda not damaged?

maybe if you had the license plate number of the honda you could take it further

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

His friend only has 3rd party it seems. Damages to his own car are not covered.
    OP, unless you cab prove it was a certain car that hit your mates he's pretty much fecked. It's up to him to insure his car and with comprehensive it's would have been covered.

Was there scrapes etc or proper damage? Does the silver car have paint from the beamer? Take photos and ask the guards but they'll just say it's a civil matter as no-one was hurt.

We don't know where the Honda is, thats the prob.

I guess i was hoping that there's a mechanic reading this who's on his break, and has just quoted a Honda for some damage and that honda had beamer paint all over it :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Hope you find the Honda, get the reg plate number and insurance
    details if you can, similar thing happened to some one i know, Gardai
    didnt really wanna know, but luckly i came across the car involved
    took down all he's details and my friend rand their insurance
    company and they pushed it on. Was paid €700 for damage to a door
    and wing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get your mate to spend a lot of the day on foot, and if he's lucky he might just find offending Honda.

p.s. What kind of asshole drives away like that after destroying a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can the MIBI not help you out on a matter like this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

antodeco wrote: »
    Can the MIBI not help you out on a matter like this?

Nope. You have to i.d. or catch the offender for them to be able offer compo.

I suffered a hit and run earlier this year, and but for a quick phonecall with the reg. no. of the offending vehicle to the cops, would have been left high and dry.

MIBI were very quick to settle btw, repaying my insurer in full, and the cops were fantastically helpful.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nope. You have to i.d. or catch the offender for them to be able offer compo.

Did not know that. That kinda sucks to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the chances of a car that's just written another car off just being parked around the corner are pretty slim.

Any premesis with CCTV near you? did someone actually see the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

You need reg plate or some ID for MIBI to be able to proceed which I agree is a bit rubbish!

Your mate must be very annoyed about this. awful thing to do to some1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

From their website:

"MIBI deals with claims from parties involved in accidents caused by uninsured and unidentified vehicles. If you wish to make a claim on line against such a vehicle, click here. "
    http://www.mibi.ie/uninsured-unidentifi.html

I had dealings with them a few years ago: a guy (UK Reg) almost took my door off in a private car park, told me to f**k off that it was partly my fault. I went to the gardai who said that they could not do anything because it happened on private property but put me in touch with MIBI. They tracked him down and I got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I had dealings with them a few years ago: a guy (UK Reg) almost took my door off in a private car park, told me to f**k off that it was partly my fault. I went to the gardai who said that they could not do anything because it happened on private property but put me in touch with MIBI. They tracked him down and I got paid.[/quote]

Yes but you had this guys details... the identity of the honda owner is unknown in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its also worth while having a good root around the crash site for broken lenses, paint, or any other part left behind from the offenders car. There is a good chance that this car could have left a dirty streak about the city with other incidents and be on record with the cops. A good factors or mechanic could identify a smashed part of a lense or similar part.

Brother was able to trace a hit and run on his van from a broken rear lens left at the scene from a the third party car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

"MIBI deals with claims from parties involved in accidents caused by uninsured and unidentified vehicles. If you wish to make a claim on line against such a vehicle, click here. "

True, I had his details bit they say on their website that they deal with unidentified cars also. The above quote is directly from their website. I haven't had to (thankfully) use their services for this but surely it's worth contacting them to be absolutely sure.

Advertisement