Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Carer wanted

Options
  • 22-12-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

My Dad had a stroke 2 years ago which left him without speech and with cognitive deficiencies. I'm looking for a carer for the afternoons: 2-3 hrs a day, 3 days a week.
    Sometimes he needs to be dressed (although my mother can usually can manage this) However the most thing I'd like a carer to do is to bring him outside around the garden/farmyard for walks as my mother isn't strong enough to to bring him back into the house when he wanders. Also he loves to go for a spin in the car but as my mother doesn't drive, it is dependent on me to bring him out.

Carer must have experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 footmaster

Hi Millertime78,
    I know a woman that is a carer, but i wouldnt say theres many men doing it, I could find out for you if you would like?, where does your parents live in galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

millertime, have you tried the agencies? Possibly a stupid question!

I'm presuming you've gone down the HSE route?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway County -> Jobs
    Put an ad in Advertiser too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

millertime78, please update your post to include the following specifics:
    charter wrote:
    2. Job Advertising
    Recruitment Agencies are not permitted to use boards.ie as a platform to advertise their positions. We do however encourage fellow boards.ie users to highlight positions available in their own organisation. When posting a job that you know is available, please include

- Renumeration package (even if its just reference)
    - Qualifications (or experience) prefered

Also next time, please read the charter before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FourMasters

MillerTime,

Firstly - have you tried the HSE? If you get a recommendation from your GP and the local health nurse, your father can be entitled to free hourly visits on a daily basis to do exactly as you suggest. It may be a good idea to emphasise the getting dressed part (and general cleaning and hygiene) but taking walks into the garden should fall under the remit of care - probably not the car drive though. It can take a while (a year *sigh*) to go through the red tape, but once it kicks in the service is very good (I'm talking Dublin). It's basically outsourced by the HSE to a third-party care agency anyway.

Before it kicks in - here are some practical interim ideas:

If there is a nursing home close to you, try putting up an advert in the local shop specifying those part time hours. You may find either a student nurse or a lower qualified nursing home worker (orderly) wanting to supplement their hours - or who would recommend a partner or relative who would suit.

Gumtree is also an option, when I was looking for similar a few years ago there were people looking for the work.

If you are sourcing your own carer instead of through an agency - make sure you do the usual checks. At least get references, and if you can - go and meet the previous referee or their relative. Your GP may also have some suggestions re retired nurses - although as you're looking for a male orderly that does in fact reduce your options.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

I'm in dire need of a male carer for the next two weekends, 8-30 - 9-30 each morning and the same time each evening.

Duties involved -

Dressing
    Washing
    Getting to bed

Must be experienced & physically able to lift etc - will pay cash.

I'm just outside Galway city near the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

This is just one of the agencies that would offer the service you are looking for
    http://www.homeinstead.ie/index.aspx
    They usually have 100's of people on their books so should be able to match you up with a male carer that suits you both.
    On a side note, there are loads of male carers working in hospitals and nursing homes.

Advertisement