Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Astra

Options
  • 22-12-2009 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Popped in to look at this today, just out of curiosity. Really impressed, styling, build quality, super interior, it was one of those rare cars that got me thinking right away, 'How can I buy this?'. Typically the one time I want a saleperson to come and talk to me he is chatting away at the far end of the showroom, quite happy to ignore me. So I left.

But well done GM, this is really a smashing car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I think ignoring potential customers is the car salesman's default position. I've never seen a company more uninterested in selling their stock then car dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Popped in to look at this today, just out of curiosity. Really impressed, styling, build quality, super interior, it was one of those rare cars that got me thinking right away, 'How can I buy this?'. Typically the one time I want a saleperson to come and talk to me he is chatting away at the far end of the showroom, quite happy to ignore me. So I left.

no its not... its rubbish like ( and i dont mean to generalize ) All of their cars to this date.

also the sales staff dont care, their going to be let go soon anyways so why bother workin now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Pdfile wrote: »
    no its not... its rubbish like ( and i dont mean to generalize ) All of their cars to this date.

No it's not, it's actually quite good. Leaps and bounds ahead of the previous model Astra and ahead of most of the competition for interior layout.

I drove a 1.6Turbo SRi last week. Traffic was really heavy so didn't get a chance to get a real feel for it, but the cabin is very nicely laid out and the sports seats in the SRi are very supportive.

Interesting multi level floor in the boot, not 100% how useful it is, but can be raised to give a flat entry or lowered to give more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Great car great price and I had a great salesman dealing with me. Out of 5 garages he was still over €1,000 cheaper.

I would happily buy this car but SRi / SE or Elite only and not the S or SC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

My brother bought a diesel astra carvan 2 years ago, he hates it, he has had problems with the heater just cutting out and coming back on when it feels like it, opel garage checked it twice now and said its ok, but it still happens.
    Bulbs keep blowing, its a mission to change a head light bulb on it.

Everytime I see him he is complaining about something or other about the car.
    I do not know enough about them to say if they are good or bad but from my brothers experience with his, I know I will never buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cascade35 wrote: »
    My brother bought a diesel astra carvan 2 years ago, he hates it, he has had problems with the heater just cutting out and coming back on when it feels like it, opel garage checked it twice now and said its ok, but it still happens.
    Bulbs keep blowing, its a mission to change a head light bulb on it.

Everytime I see him he is complaining about something or other about the car.
    I do not know enough about them to say if they are good or bad but from my brothers experience with his, I know I will never buy one.

The old model and new model seem to be like chalk and cheese though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Was he chatting to himself?? Maybe he was busy with another customer/situation??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

whycliff wrote: »
    Was he chatting to himself?? Maybe he was busy with another customer/situation??

I was in a Skoda dealership in Cork city yesterday looking at the Octavia VRs they had in stock and there were 4 salesmen and a sales manager in the showroom. One was dealing with a customer and the others would have obviously known I was in the building but ignored me. One even said excuse me as I was in his way but never came back to me. 15 minutes looking at the cars in the showroom so I just walked out.

If they had excuses they would never be enough because all those phone calls they were making would not be as important as acknowledging a customer in the showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

My missus has had 3 of them as company cars over the past couple of years - 2 3 doors and a 5 door. The 3 door comes with sports suspension and sticks like brown stuff to a blanket without being too stiff. Very comfy seats too. 5 door is a bit boring tbh. Solid car though and lovely to drive. Not quite Golf territory, but not far off. Not even remotely like the old Astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

whycliff wrote: »

Chatting to himself?? No, he was shooting the breeze with another saleperson for sure, I actually would have sat down with him and talked figures if he had come over. I know they get a lot of time wasters, but it would have been nice to have been asked if i needed help, as it is if I was in the market I would be disinclined to go back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement