Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday closing - when did it change?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm in the right forum. Had a discussion the other night in the local about when the 2-4 closing on a Sunday changed.

Anyone have any idea when it did. I thought it was about 12/13 years ago but other reckoned it's closer to twenty.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Don't think it was twenty anyway. I can remember it pretty well. I'd say it was 12. I remember one of the lads used to run across to xtravision and stick a film on in the pub during 2-4. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

nicklauski wrote: »
    Don't think it was twenty anyway. I can remember it pretty well. I'd say it was 12. I remember one of the lads used to run across to xtravision and stick a film on in the pub during 2-4. :)

The graveyard behind the local had a lot of praying young lads between 2 and 4 on a Sunday if the law happened to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Easily 20 years ago. Around 87 or 88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah now, later then the 1980's

I remember playing pool with a friend around 1991 as a teenager and the pub would turn off the lights for that time and close the door. Just knock and you'd get in
    Of course the local garda know this rural pub was open but it wasn't being blatant about it

So this 2-4 rule wasn't 20 years ago in my experience

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Short memories, guys :)

It changed in 2000, under section 3 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act that year. Compare with 25.2.(b) of the 1988 Act.

Tell me I'm not the only one here who was of legal drinking age in the twentieth century :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »

It changed in 2000, under section 3 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act that year. Compare with 25.2.(b) of the 1988 Act.

Tell me I'm not the only one here who was of legal drinking age in the twentieth century :eek:

I remember pubs closing in the late eighties but I could have sworn that by the mid nineties the holy hour was gone.
    Oh, hang on, I'm thinking of the every day holy hour, not just on a Sunday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Right. Closing from 2.30 to 3.30 on weekdays looks to have been introduced in the 1962 Act, and removed in the 1988 one. But, oddly, it only applied to pubs "in the county borough of Dublin or Cork". 'Cos you don't want to get between a bogman and his mid-afternoon mojito.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

No - I can recall many lock-ins during the weekday 'holy hour'!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

muckety wrote: »
    No - I can recall many lock-ins during the weekday 'holy hour'!

I'm pretty sure that the OP is referring to the legal change to the Sunday closing hours so illegal weekday lock-ins doesn't really answer his question.

While it changed in 2000 for me it had been many, many years since I was asked to leave a pub at 2pm on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Right. Closing from 2.30 to 3.30 on weekdays looks to have been introduced in the 1962 Act, and removed in the 1988 one. But, oddly, it only applied to pubs "in the county borough of Dublin or Cork". 'Cos you don't want to get between a bogman and his mid-afternoon mojito.

I thought this went back to Kevin O' Higgins, and the only reason it was not extended outside of Cork and Dublin was the Duffy said that the law could not be enforced

Many the quiet afternoon myself and my mate had in the back of the Norseman, apparently the landlord agreed that holy hour did not apply culchies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pubs outside the limits were known as Bona Fide pubs.

For anyone who knows Coolock Village, here's a weird little piece of trivia, The Sheaf O' Wheat was Bona Fide, Kyles was not.

My dad was from Ballybough, and The Sheaf would have been the nearest Bona Fide pub to there, he said they did a roaring lunch time trade.

And yeah, I used to work in The Sheaf in the late 90s, used to hate that 12.30 - 2.30 shift on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never knew about this.
    (ii) the 23rd December: if it falls on a Sunday, between 10.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m.;

I know the main closing hours were introduced to help world war 1, I think somebody forgot to tell them the war is over and they can scrap them now...

But does anybody know the reasoning for the sunday hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rubadub wrote: »

But does anybody know the reasoning for the sunday hours?

Make sure people go home for Sunday dinner with their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Des wrote: »
    Make sure people go home for Sunday dinner with their families.

2000 was the year the Sunday 'holy hour' was abolished? :eek:

I would never have guessed that.

Advertisement