Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow lines and orange phones: what's the NRA's policy?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

NedNew wrote: »
    Also noticed for those interested:

The Kilcullen-Carlow section has rumble strip yellow lines but does not (yet?) have emergency phones installed.

Quote from NedNew on the M9 thread. Galway to Ballinasloe opened this week too, with smooth yellow lines AND emergency phones. M8 Cashel to Mitchelstown has smooth yellow lines but M8 Mitchelstown-Fermoy, and the Watergrasshill and Glanmire Bypasses, have rumbles.

On what basis does the NRA decide what the lining and emergency phone provision for a given scheme should be, and, furthermore, does the NRA have any coherent policy with regard to lining and phone provision? I would speculate that M6 Galway to Ballinasloe opened with phones because it's a) quite long, and b) far from the old N6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Furet wrote: »
    Quote from NedNew on the M9 thread. Galway to Ballinasloe opened this week too, with smooth yellow lines AND emergency phones. M8 Cashel to Mitchelstown has smooth yellow lines but M8 Mitchelstown-Fermoy, and the Watergrasshill and Glanmire Bypasses, have rumbles.

On what basis does the NRA decide what the lining and emergency phone provision for a given scheme should be, and, furthermore, does the NRA have any coherent policy with regard to lining and phone provision? I would speculate that M6 Galway to Ballinasloe opened with phones because it's a) quite long, and b) far from the old N6.
    Maybe also because it's a toll road?

I reckon a lot of this apparent lack of a consistent approach is because many of these motorways were redesignated and originally designed as standard HQDC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I don't think they even have a policy, it's just luck of the draw. If this contractor feels like putting down rumble strips, emergency lines, catseyes on the inside, reflectors on the barrier etc. then so be it, if not, then so be it. :(

These things need to be made standard. Putting catseyes on the inside of the line is not a sufficient substitute for a proper rumble strip. Mobile phones are not sufficient substitute for emergency phones which link you straight to the relevant services and give your exact position.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I would say that roads that were originally supposed to be Motorways would have them included in the original contract so they would be done on time.

On the stretches that are re-designated from HQDC, phones wouldnt have been included in the original plans so they would have to be put in after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I agree with BluntGuy's post regarding the yellow lines. It's really up to the contractor what they decide to do. Up til Janruary the median could be constructed either with the armco or concrete barrier. Since then the NRA have only given concrete as the only choice of median. This should be done to other aspects of the road construction.

I prefer the yellow line rumble strips as you might cross over the catseyes without hitting them. At least with the rumble strips your guaranteed to hit them if veering off to the left into the hard shoulder.

IMO Emergency phones should be installed on any new schemes as a standard requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tech2 wrote: »
    It's really up to the contractor what they decide to do.
    I'm guessing you missed out a 'not' there somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Alun wrote: »
    I'm guessing you missed out a 'not' there somewhere?

Well in some aspects of road construction the contractor is given certain choices of constructing the road. For instance the Ballinasloe to Athlone scheme was constructed with the armco barrier which had nothing to do with the NRA, it was up to the contractor which type of H2 barrier they decided to use. (NRA gave 2 options either concrete or armco)

Advertisement