Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toby is going to lose his leg.

Options
  • 21-12-2009 9:39pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My poor, poor Toby is going to have his leg amputated tomorrow. He broke it in the elbow in April and had 2 pins and a screw put in to hold it in place. Today we were at the end of our walk. They had been in and out of the river all along and in and out of mud and puddles. As they were filthy I told them to go for a swim before we went home, a command I have them trained for, but rarely have to use. They both gave me a look that said 'do we have to?' so I found a stick and threw it in the water for them to fetch. They both jumped in, Dougal came out first and then Toby.

As Toby ran up the bank he tripped/slipped and smacked his leg and slid back into the water with his leg at a bad angle. He started howling and screaming. I had to climb down the bank and lift him out. I was hoping and hoping it was just shock but as soon as he got back on the path it was clear his leg was broken again. I got him to the vet and the x-ray has shown the break is too severe to re-set. Last time around it was very touch and go as to whether it was fixable, this time the additional damage has made it impossible.

He is in the vet's tonight and they plan on amputating tomorrow. I feel so sick. Both my husband and I are crying in shifts, Dougal is also very disturbed as seeing us cry frightens him and he is missing his buddy. Again. I can't believe what a terrible, terrible year my poor boy has had and how he's pulled through so many times (he was poisoned in September) and now after all of that he is going to lose his leg. I wish I never threw that stupid stick for them.:(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ah don't blame yourself! you were playing with them on a fun walk, and isn't it better they were having a fun time than you being a horrible owner?
    Accidents happen, with animals, with kids, with people, it's awful and it's sad, but you can't blame yourself when you did nothing wrong.
    You've done everything you can for Toby so far, you've had him in and out of the vets, getting the best care, and he's obviously in a very very loving home.

He's very clearly a fighter - and he'll get through this operation too. It's heartbreaking to see I'm sure, but he'll heal and he'll adapt and soon he'll be back to himself once he's adjusted. Just give him lots of love and care like you have. You may need to make changes about the house and so forth, to accomodate his lost leg, it'll take a while for him to get used to it, so make sure he doesn't have any obstacles or steps/jumps to do to get to bed etc. And you'll have to probably watch him when he's going to the bathroom etc.

But the main thing is - this is best for Toby, the leg is causing too much trouble and he can and will survive with three, there are so many three legged dogs/cats out there that have full and wonderful lives. He already has a lovely home, with owners and a 'brother' that love him, he'll get the care that he needs and both he and ye will adjust in time.

I know it's very very upsetting, but try not to blame yourselves, you did nothing wrong at all. Try and reassure Dougal as I'm sure he's very worried about you two and wondering where Toby is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Very sorry to hear about poor Toby Iguana! From what I hear though animals are very good at adapting to the new physical conditions.

A horse at the equestrian centre that I go to needs to have an eye removed and I thought that might be the end of him. Apparently not though! They say that he will adapt very, very quickly and be used in the school within a few months.

They say animals dont "see" physical limitations the way we do.

Hopefully Toby will make a fast recovery :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Aww Iguana you poor thing, try not to be so upset, it wasn't your fault at all. I hope you're okay. I've seen loads of dogs go on to live perfectly happy and healthy lives after having their legs amputated (some even two and they're still flying it!), including my own pomeranian. He will be fine I promise. He'll feel sorry for himself at first but after a while he won't even notice it.

I hope you're okay, he'll be fine honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The poor fella, but don't beat yourselves up. Dogs do very well on three legs, although the most difficult part is trying to keep him quiet over the next week or two. He'll adapt very quickly and will no doubt be trying to get himself into bother again in no time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They say animals dont "see" physical limitations the way we do.

That's the only thing which is getting me through right now. I suspect that once Toby gets used to just having one leg and adapts he will just accept it. He won't get upset and be full of 'if onlys.' I think that animals just get on with things, iykwim.

All the regret, fear, sadness, that's just what we are feeling and we need to avoid projecting it on to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Oh Iguana, what a shit year 2009's been for you and Toby!!! That guy sounds like a right character though - and remember, if it doesn't kill you it just makes you stronger. Toby will function very well on three legs when he gets used to it - and you already have a dog that you'll never forget, but now nobody who sees him will ever forget him!

Good luck to him with his surgery, and to you all with his recovery, and roll on 2010 for a better year for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm really sorry that this has happened, what an awful thing to just come out of the blue. But, if his leg was weak, it sounds as though this would have happened sooner or later. One of my dogs had her leg amputated, and she managed absolutely fine, not a bother on her. It was me worrying it more than she did. She would still bomb around the place.

Best of luck tomorrow, hope it all goes okay, and then you'll have him home safe again to recover and be spoilt rotten over Christmas:D And have no doubt, he will milk it.;)

I just so honestly thought all the bad stuff was over. Shortly after the poisoning incident we started muzzling them as there is so often food around the place. Earlier on the walk the boys found a big bone and were trying to eat it. I took it and binned it and was silently congratulating myself for deciding to muzzle them just in case it was poisonous. I was also marvelling at Toby's health and spirit.

Then this happened.:(

ISDW wrote: »
    One of my dogs had her leg amputated, and she managed absolutely fine, not a bother on her. It was me worrying it more than she did. She would still bomb around the place.

Can I ask which leg it was? Front or back? Were there many things she couldn't do again? I assume swimming is out of the question. Not that I will ever bring them back to that park, it's cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

What you should do is this:

Enter the poor crither into every 3-legged race that takes place.

He'll win each and all of them hands down!:D

(Poor little luveen. He'll adjust very well though. Animals are very adjustable and stoic.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Poor Toby has had a rough year :(
    The poor thing!

But it is true they can adapt to the situation. I saw a dog last year that was missing its front left leg and back right leg :eek: I couldn't believe it but it didn't seem to bother him in the slightest!

Probably will take a bit of time getting use to but wish yous all the best and a speedy recovery to Toby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Not quite the same but I adopted a three legged cat(front left), nobody knew how she lost the leg, she was found straying and brought to an animal shelter where I got her.

I really don't think it holds her back except for the fact that she's being lazy at the moment and gaining weight which isn't good since she doesn't have as many legs to take the weight. She can jump fine and land fine (sometimes wobbles but she seems fine) and she can tear around my place as much as the other cat. She's also the alpha cat over the other bigger four legged male cat.

It will be hard for him to get used to it at first but they easily can (much easier when they're younger). My one seems to be a little fighter and takes everything in her stride and your one sounds much like her.

Also a few days ago I was thinking about starting a thread on amputee pets (slighly different note I just googled pic that and there's strange pictures, a rabbit in what looks like a tiny sleeping bag with wheels attached:confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Poor Toby, poor you!

I'm sure he will be back to himself very soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

iguana wrote: »
    Can I ask which leg it was? Front or back? Were there many things she couldn't do again? I assume swimming is out of the question. Not that I will ever bring them back to that park, it's cursed.

It was her left back leg. Unfortunately she had it amputated because of cancer, and it had already spread, which we didn't know at the time, so she only had about 8 months from the amputation until she was pts. But no, she still chased after her ball, that was her thing, give her a tennis ball and she was in heaven. I never tried her with swimming after the amputation, but I might have done if she'd been around a bit longer. She would still come out for long, long walks. For her I think it was a blessing, she'd become so used to carrying the leg up anyway, it must have been nice not to have that extra weight to carry.

Still miss her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

A few years ago one of our dogs had her right rear leg amputated following a bad fall. The recovery time is remarkable - she was only on pain killers for one week. The first few days she growled if our other dog was in the same room as her. Normally they got on fine but maybe she was feeling vunerable because she was drowsy and in pain.

Once she recovered, the loss of the leg didn't bother her at all. She ran as fast as a bullet! Our other dog couldn't keep up with her! The only problem I think she had was when she was running down a hill in the park - she was basically missing a back brake! But she soon adapted.

You will be amazed at how well Toby manages. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Poor Toby. He's had a terrible year. Don't blame yourself, Iguana - it wasn't your fault.

If it's of any help at all, my little Georgie had lost a hind leg just before we got her aged 2. She was very wobbly at first and couldn't walk far, but within 4 weeks she was able to walk the 20 mins to the park, although she had to be carried home and fell asleep in my daughter's arms on the way. 2 days later she started chasing a ball and very soon became one of the fastest dogs in the park. She's 8 years old now, and the only thing she can't do is swim (and she's still flying round chasing balls). I'm sure Toby will be flying round again too in the very near future. He'll be in my thoughts tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I think Toby is so lucky to have you as an owner:D! He'll get over this in no time and will be the same happy dog! Theres lots of three legged dogs around who got that way in much worse circumstances.

i have a dog whose hind legs are very weak,(she was hit with a tractor when young:() shes always falling trying to climb walls and jump up on things but she's still happy out! her shoulders and neck are huge from all the muscle she's built up;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Cheer up. Toby will be fine. Be happy that he will still be able to play and run after a few weeks.

At least your dog will be able to live with three legs. We lost one of our dogs this year june to bone cancer. It spread like hell and within 7 weeks after discovering we had to let her go. She was only 4 years old. Being a 75 kg Irish Wolfhound amputation was nevef an option.
    We still miss he very much.

Be happy and give Toby lots of cuddles. He'll be up and running in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

hey there - any word on the operation?

i'm sure Toby will be fine, dogs recover amazingly quickly, and won't hold you responsible, it's a natural human instinct to feel sorry for him and blame yourself - but he'll be like "pant pant - we going for a walk then - pant pant"

i've seen a few three legged dogs over the years - and everyone of them has been flying around at great speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hope everything went well for Toby xxx

• Advertisement

Toby has had his operation and while I don't want to say it went 'well' as I don't think I can describe my boy losing his leg as 'well,' it went as expected with no more nasty surprises. Unfortunately a few hours later when they took him out to the toilet he was groggy and went to step onto his 'leg' and stumbled, opening up his stitches. It's not a huge setback but it means he needs to stay in hospital tonight which is disappointing as this morning the vet thought there was a good possibility of him coming home tonight. And I am desperate to have him back home with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The poor thing - I can understand you being upset at him having to stay another night there when you just want to have him home and take care of him. The upside is that this happened when he was in the vets and thus they could fix him up asap, and hopefully he'll be in better condition when he comes home. And the operation went as well as it could really, he's stitched up and is coming around. I'll be thinking of him and you guys, I hope he comes home soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Poor Toby, I hope he recovers well and is racing around again soon. And may he never have any kind of health issues again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP, I know it's no consolation at the moment, but I promise you will be suprised at how easily and quickly he will take to having 3 legs. Dogs are amazingly resiliant creatures and they get through things in a way that would put most people to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Poor Toby. Hope he comes home tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Awh poor Toby, I know its scary for you and him, but really it'll be fine, Toby will adjust far more quickly than you will, try Not to feel sorry for him as this will delay him getting used to his situation, the more you baby him the more sorry he'll feel for himself. He'll feed off your emotions and feel bad if you do, get Him out walking as soon as your vet says its ok and try to let Toby deal with anything in his own way before you step in to help, I bet within weeks you'll be bragging about how well he's doing. Looking forward to hearing how he's coping in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Sorry to hear whaty happened, must have been terrible to see.

Hope he is back to himself soon though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Oh, poor Toby :( he really has had a rough ride this year. I hope next year is kinder to him!

I met a young Dobie at the weekend who had just had her front left leg removed as she had some sort of bone cancer. My friend is a vet nurse and we called into see how she was doing as it is a friend of her who owns the dog. We let her out of the kennel and she went speeding up and down the hall with no bother at all (obviously we put a stop to her running - just in case!) and she was able to jump up a small step back into her kennel. I was amazed at how quickly she was able to adapt. Animals are really amazing! Toby will be fine, he's a little trooper by the sounds of things :) I hope he will be back home with you soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Best of luck Toby - hope you will recover soon. think of all the treats you will get over the holidays!!
    Iguana - I am sure Toby is so graceful for your care. Toby may not appear to be recovering well now but he will - it takes time. Keep the chin up! (and to Toby too!)

Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement

Well Toby is home and he is still very much Toby. The minute he saw me at the vets he came charging over to me. As I was talking to the vet he started whining and I was initially worried he was in pain, but it turned out someone had a cat in the waiting room and he was anxious to investigate. In the waiting room he was climbing up all over the front desk sniffing at the boxes of treats.

He is wrapped up in a bandage, red with white fluffy edges so festive looking. I tried to take his picture so I could post it up here but whenever I kneel in front of him with the phone he jumps into my arms. rolleyes.gif

When we brought him home we put him in the crate and gave him his favourite ball to hold onto. Then we let Dougal out of the kitchen so he could see him. They were happy to see each other but a bit upset to be kept apart. Dougal wanted to get in the crate and Toby wanted to get out. We gave them both some pork, which Toby more or less inhaled and then looked around to see where it was gone.

Then we gave each dog a chew, which was one of the first points where he missed his leg. He usually holds his chews between his paws while eating them and moves his head back and forth along it. He can't do that anymore as he only has one paw, so that caused a bit of confusion and working out. After a few minutes he started crying and I was again worried he was in pain or upset that he couldn't eat his chew properly. He kept looking at us with big sad eyes so we decided to let him out of the crate and set up a pillow for him next to the couch. Once he was let sit near us he perked up again and made short work of his chew.

I'm really happy that he is so normal and perky but tbh I'm also really gutted that he is missing his leg. I'm on a bit of a rollercoaster. I'm really up as he's so normal and then I remember that he is missing a leg and my spirits plummet. We have an agreement that we will only be happy and normal around Toby, so if we get upset we will leave the room for a cry. He is just really pleased to be home and I want him to adjust as fast as possible - though I don't think he needs much more adjusting. If he sees us upset he'll be upset.

We are planning a merry Xmas. Before this happened we had been going to go to Ireland this morning and spend Xmas with family, which we had been looking forward to. Now we will be staying here with the boys and our friend who was going to dog-sit will be coming to stay with us for a few days tomorrow. So my husband is making up a list of all the great things he is going to make us for our breakfast, dinner and tea.

Advertisement