Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projection issues?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi guys, not quite a DJing issue but I'm doing a night soon and I'm planning to have live video projection, lots of cut up video clips etc, mainly off youtube and dvds, no more than maybe 15 seconds a clip, no sound obviously. Is this going to cause me any problems in regards copyright infringment? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Hi guys, not quite a DJing issue but I'm doing a night soon and I'm planning to have live video projection, lots of cut up video clips etc, mainly off youtube and dvds, no more than maybe 15 seconds a clip, no sound obviously. Is this going to cause me any problems in regards copyright infringment? Cheers!

Don't think so no...Visuals guy for our band uses copyrighted stuff ok all the time, and I'm pretty sure Chris Cunningham didn't get permission from George Lucas when he used Star Wars slips in his show at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

short answer : no

long answer : no

pedantic answer : theoretically

solution to pedantic answer : don't tell anyone

it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Technically *most* of the vinyl out there being used every weekend is distributed on a personal licence, not a public use one. At least thats what I've heard, correct me if I'm mistaken. If there's no issue with that I'd highly doubt Universal executives will be crashing through the windows and shooting the projectors for grabbing some MV's:p

On a practical note, is the projector the clubs or are you bringing your own? Many commercial ones are likely to shut down in a busy club in order to protect the lamp. Condensation is also not recommended. Just something to note as it would suck to have it shut down in the middle of your set and not boot for 10 mins while it cooled itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Oh its the clubs so its well up to the task! Cheers guys! Don't suppose anyone knows of some source of clips that are actually good enough quality to project as most youtube ones are v low res?

Advertisement