Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub with mid-week trad sessions

Options
  • 21-12-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I will be showing Limerick off to some Canadian rellies next Monday - Wednesday. Can anyone suggest some pubs that may have good trad sessions on any of these nights? I'm looking for some real traditional stuff, not 'Oirish' with loud PA systems!

Also, anyone have suggestions of what to do with them during the day given that it will probably be freezing and dark by 4pm!! Also, as it is the week between xmas and new year stuff may be closeed. I am thinking a drive round the Burren, a trip to Bunratty for some sightseeing & pints, the Angels Ashes tour gets great reviews on Tripadvisor but I would be a bit dubious! Anything else? BTW we are all late 20's

Cheers,
    TC :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Dolans on the Dock Road is your venue for all things trad. Good people running it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Is Dolans not kinda touristy or it is proper trad? It would be perfect as staying near by

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

jmccoy wrote: »
    Dolans on the Dock Road is your venue for all things trad. Good people running it too.

The Dolans front bar trad Narcoleptics?

- If the tune doesn't change after 4 hours you may have to wake them up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Dolans have a good proper trad session pretty much every night of the week. You can also try a pub out in Boher, on the Tipp Road, called Pa McGraths, the Americans will love the pub as its an authentic old thatched pub, great pint, and every Wed night they have an excellent trad session. No piblic transport tho so you will need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

The Curragower has midweek trad sessions and is a nice pub into the bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Do Gallaghers in Bunratty have music in the bar? Any good??

I am a bit wary of Durty Nellys!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

city girl wrote: »
    The Curragower has midweek trad sessions and is a nice pub into the bargain.

Where is this bar? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Go Over Sarsfield bridge coming out of town, take first right and head about 100metres and you will find it on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

does it have to be the city?
    Ive heard alot about this place, Bradshaws in Castleconnel, my Dad has been playing there week in week out for years now.

http://www.fivestringbanjoteacher.ie/html/castleconnell_folk_club.html

People just gather there for the trad session.
    Castleconnell Folk Club was set up on August 29 1995, and is still going strong today. Every Tuesday night around 9.30 the session kicks off in the back room of Bradshaws Bar Castleconnell village. There’s no group, just a gathering of musicians, some would be there from the beginning of the Folk Club. It is definitely not a club, it’s more of a rambling house than anything else. There is no membership or anything like that. The name is only a title and everybody is welcome to come along and do your party piece. There’s nobody there to judge you, there’s nobody there to criticize you. There’s nobody in charge of it, and because it is totally voluntary, it just runs itself, which makes for a very enjoyable and relaxed evening
    of song, stories, poetry and even the odd tune.

Advertisement