Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tractor driving me mad

Options
  • 21-12-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

my case 4230,if it sits say for 1 or 2 days without starting will only turn over very slowly when i attempt to start it. Its as if the battery is dead but it isnt dead. Then sometimes if i leave it and go and cool off for a while,then try to start ,bingo, it starts.

Any ideas what my problem is (before it becomes a mental problem)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Probably a cell gone in the battery.Any garage can test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

My suggestion is that you have a poor connection at one of the battery terminals or where the negative lead is earthed to the frame , or the positive lead to starter . Safest to remove negative from battery first check all connections and reconnect negative last

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Is the battery level low? Try topping it up with distilled water first, might be a cheap fix for your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Does sound like a battery issue TBH, especially with the current weather. A cold snap will usually finish a weak battery. The only way to know for sure is to get the battery tested.

It might we worth checking for parasitic drain - something drawing power from the battery overnight. Try disconnecting the negative lead overnight, if that solves your problem then its likely that something is stuck on and flattening the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

Check the connections to the battery therminals aren't loose or corroded also the connections to the starter. Could be just a loose wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

i think you should check the earth wire comin from the battery to the tractor, if after tryin to start the tractor, if the wire is warm at either the battery connection or at the end where its bolted to the tractor you have a bad earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Sorry t go off topic but what are those little case tractors like ? I kinda like the look of them and they seem fairly well priced, there a few different numbers isint there 4230 4240 4130 etc what are the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

try putting jump leads straight onto ur starter from a battery u know is good and see does that make a difference,if it dosent then u have a starter problem....if it stats ok den u have a lead or battery prob, try using ur negative jumplead from tractor battery negative pole onto body of starter to bypass ur earth lead and see does that work,if not do the same with positive lead onto starter solenoid main connection and try that,if still no start ur back to tractor battery,make sure connections r clean and tight.on some of them 42 series case used short earth leads of bad quality and they never lasted too long..jus few things to try that dont cost anything..........

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Do you heat the tractor before trying to start it?Turn the key for about 15 seconds before pressing the clutch down.We had the same problem,our heater doesnt work on ours so we have to bring a lenght of wire from the starter to the plug on the exhaust manifold
    DanFindy wrote: »
    Sorry t go off topic but what are those little case tractors like ? I kinda like the look of them and they seem fairly well priced, there a few different numbers isint there 4230 4240 4130 etc what are the differences?

There a really nice little tractors but that said like any tractor you can come across a problematic example!

As for the models there is a (1) 4210-62 h.p (2)4220-approx 78 h.p
    (3) 4230-85 h.p (4)4240-approx 100 h-p
    Not aware of a 4130 though.The 4240 is a 4230 with a turbo.
    The 4230 is naturally aspirated.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

a neighbour had a 4240 a few years ago and he replaced 4 starters in it in the space of 8 years i dont know why.
    it sound like the glow plugs or heater plug if it starts on the second time round.
    if it was the battery it would not start at all .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Is there Unclefreeze in it,? could it be frozen water pump,,,,make sure there is coolant in it.
    could be a bad earth lead, check where it connects to the body,

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

if you have a volt meter. first check voltage across battery poles then check between starter positive and battery negative. shouldn't be more than 0.5 volts of difference. then check between starter and chassis side of earth strap should be no real difference. if theres a big difference in the first two readings you have bad connection or dodgy lead on the positive side if theres much between the second and third you have a bad earth conection or lead. voltage across battery poles should be over 12.5volts.

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deglance

I have the case 4230 and it drives me mad it does the exact same thing it will keep turning over until it kills the battery i bought a new battery and the same thing happened.

So this is what i have done so far i got under the tractor and took out the fuel filter the one that comes out of the tank and cleaned that (it was full of S***) and there was no diesel gettin into the tank and replaced the hand pump this sorted it out for me but i do have to change the water pump soon its leaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

pajero12 wrote: »
    Do you heat the tractor before trying to start it?Turn the key for about 15 seconds before pressing the clutch down.We had the same problem,our heater doesnt work on ours so we have to bring a lenght of wire from the starter to the plug on the exhaust manifold

There a really nice little tractors but that said like any tractor you can come across a problematic example!

As for the models there is a (1) 4210-62 h.p (2)4220-approx 78 h.p
    (3) 4230-85 h.p (4)4240-approx 100 h-p
    Not aware of a 4130 though.The 4240 is a 4230 with a turbo.
    The 4230 is naturally aspirated.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, would be a 4230 or 4240 id be after so, id ideally like one with the case xl cab i like them cabs good and roomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 corriganalan

Definetely check the power and diesel going to the heater plug. Screw out the plug and check for diesel here and when you turn the key it should glow red.
    They are a lazy engine to turn over and need all the help they can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

I have an 885xl myself and its doing the exact same thing aswell, driving me nuts also. You nearly have to plan a day in advance when you want the tractor so you can try to get it started. After reading this thread and another one here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055807969 i think my problem might be down to diesel supply problems aswell.

Advertisement