Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resolution problems, how do i sort em?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey all, recently due to my idiocy I smashed the screen on my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop(it fell off the couch). Anyway I brought my laptop to PC repairs in cork and got the screen replaced.

Since ive gotten it back however the resolution is maxed out at 1280X800 while before it went up considerably higher. It may be that the new screen itself is limited to this but i said i would double check it here as im really used to it being at 1280X1024.

So can anyone help me out here, is there any way of changing it to this resolution? Would installing proper drivers for the monitor or anything like that change the situation or are there emulated resolutions or anything out there?

Running an nvidia 8600gt by the way. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

So at the current time, when you go to change resolution that's the highest option and there's nothing higher? Hmm. If there's drivers for it, go ahead and download them, it's worth a try.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sounds like the new screens resolution is lower than the original.

Surely if they replaced it with the same screen (I presume they did?!) it'd have the same resolutions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Johann. wrote: »
    Surely if they replaced it with the same screen (I presume they did?!) it'd have the same resolutions.

Indeed. But they could have bought a cheaper screen with a lower resolution. A quick google shows that model used to come with a 1280*800 screen, it sounds to me like that's the issue. However it's worth a shot with drivers.

I see, it's possible.

Must be within your rights to have it replaced again, with the original screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ok so any ideas where i can find some drivers for this new screen. I have no idea myself as i dont know how to see what type of screen it is. How would i go about finding out the model of screen thats in there now?

The only problem about going back to the shop is im back in tralee until after christmas and the shop is in cork. Il ring them in the morning i guess.

Johann. wrote: »
    I see, it's possible.

Must be within your rights to have it replaced again, with the original screen?

hmmm, just looking at those screen resolutions again, something sounds off, 1280*1024 is not a wide screen, it's 4:3, where as 1280*800 is has 16:10 wide screen aspect ratio. Afaik, that laptop has a widescreen display

Well im not 100% sure what my old resolution was, but i know it was higher than what im stuck at the moment.

At 1280X800 everything just looks huge and my screen looks cramped. Its such a minor issue but its wreaking my head.

Patricide wrote: »
    Well im not 100% sure what my old resolution was, but i know it was higher than what im stuck at the moment.

At 1280X800 everything just looks huge and my screen looks cramped. Its such a minor issue but its wreaking my head.

It may have been 1440 x 900 screen resolution, that laptop seems to have come with either a 1280*800 or a 1440*900 as an optional extra. Sounds to me like the replacement is not the same as the original/

Hmm the plot thickens it seems. Tried to reinstall my driver for my video card and this came up. Anyone here think it means much?

Whaaa.jpg

Its deffinatly the correct driver too..hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

try running a linux livecd,eg mint ubuntu,does it give a better resolution,download the grahics driver from eg acer.com/support drivers or dell.ie ,whoever made the laptop .i have a dell so i use dell,support 4drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Just incase they did replace it with a cheaper screen these are the 3 that ship on that system.

WXGA (1280x800)
    WXGA (1280x800) TrueLife
    WSXGA+ (1680x1050) TrueLife

Just incase they did replace it with a cheaper screen these are the 3 that ship on that system.

WXGA (1280x800)
    WXGA (1280x800) TrueLife
    WSXGA+ (1680x1050) TrueLife
    Yup, the bottom one was what i had for sure. I remember because i thought the native resolution was excessively high before.

As for your advice gamer, i tried doing that but it says that nvidia cannot locate any drivers compatible with my system hardware, which is odd because its deffinatly the right driver as i said.

Ok so i rang up pc services today, they told me they would refund me no problem if i brought back in the screen. To which i replied that i was stuck in tralee now untill after christmas. They said that as long as the screen was still in a new condition they would refund it.

Next question, where else is there in cork that would replace my screen correctly?

Edit - Or if anyone could tell me where to buy a replacement screen il put it in myself. Tried e-bay but didnt have any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

WOULD IT BE EASIER to swap your laptop for another one of similar cpu/ram spec.most people would be very happy with a 1200x100 resolution screen.

I doubt anyone will want to swap, theirs a few nicks here and there nothing major but a lot of people find cosmetics extremely important. The laptop itself is still running great though, with 4gb ram, a 250 gb 7200 rpm harddrive, a 256mb nvidia 8600 and a 2.2 dual core processor its having no problems cutting through media intense applications.

Id normally not care about the low resolution its just that using music recording software and stuff like photoshop is a severe pain in the ass with this reslution.

Advertisement