Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian mysticism

Options
  • 21-12-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone could explain to me what this is about. Particulary the christian mysticism.
    After My initial research I assummed it was based on Christian beliefs, but more on the spiritual side of it, ie a way of life rather than just a belief (am i explaining myself right, am I making sense) like Yoga.
    When I research deeper, I am not too sure. In some countries it seems more like a cult than a religion.
    Anyway has anyone any knowledge of christian mystics in Dublin. As a parent of a teenage lad who has recently shown a interest in christian mysticisim and attended a couple of their meetings, should I be overly concerned/worried or should I welcome the fact that my son is shown an interest in this.
    Mods apologies if this thread is the wrong place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Berberis wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone could explain to me what this is about. Particulary the christian mysticism.
    After My initial research I assummed it was based on Christian beliefs, but more on the spiritual side of it, ie a way of life rather than just a belief (am i explaining myself right, am I making sense) like Yoga.
    When I research deeper, I am not too sure. In some countries it seems more like a cult than a religion.
    Anyway has anyone any knowledge of christian mystics in Dublin. As a parent of a teenage lad who has recently shown a interest in christian mysticisim and attended a couple of their meetings, should I be overly concerned/worried or should I welcome the fact that my son is shown an interest in this.
    Mods apologies if this thread is the wrong place
    Hello Berberis, I've never heard of Christian mysticism be practiced. My understanding is that mysticism is something that God causes to happen to certain chosen souls generally for the betterment of others. Generally spiritual experiences shouldn't be sought IMO because it can lead to deception by demonic forces.

Having said that I find the writing of the Christian mystics to be absolutely fascinating. I'm talking about saints like Faustina Catherine of Siena.

Do you know if your son has got involved in a charmatic group?

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What do you mean by Christian mysticism. I'd need to know a bit more before I could really determine whether or not it is harmful by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Jakkass wrote: »
    What do you mean by Christian mysticism. I'd need to know a bit more before I could really determine whether or not it is harmful by any means.

I agree. Does the OP have the name of the organisation their son is getting involved in? Is it linked with a church, or is at a stand-alone thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

I think there is no such thing as Christian mysticism. There are Roman Catholic mysticism, Orthodox mysticism, Lutheran mysticism, Pentecostal mysticism, etc. -- probably as many as there are Christians denominations. Very often these mystic practices have very little in common.

If the group your son attended are Roman Catholics I would highly recommend you The Imitation of Christ The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis. He was a 15th century German monk and his book is the classic of Catholic mysticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Slav wrote: »
    I think there is no such thing as Christian mysticism. There are Roman Catholic mysticism, Orthodox mysticism, Lutheran mysticism, Pentecostal mysticism, etc. -- probably as many as there are Christians denominations. Very often these mystic practices have very little in common.

If the group your son attended are Roman Catholics I would highly recommend you The Imitation of Christ The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis. He was a 15th century German monk and his book is the classic of Catholic mysticism.

Hi folks thanks for the replys. The group my son met with are a mixed group from what he has said. Some students his age from dcu and the leader is a man in his 40's. They meet somewhere around Parnell square in Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement