Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MHRV 97% efficiency, more like 0%!!!

Options
  • 21-12-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Just back from the builders providers with 100mm rolls that I'm going to have to wrap around the supply and extract ducting of my supposedly correctly installed MHRV system :mad: I've only had it in a week or so, and knew that I would probably have to insulate the 100mm rigid ducting to optimise the heat exchange, but was going to put it off til after Christmas. But now the unit has switched itself off because even though the moist stale air is leaving the kitchen etc at least 20 degrees, it's below 5 degrees when it reaches the unit, which turns off because it thinks my heating has broken :eek:
    Anyway, the moral of the story is, without properly insulated ducting in unheated areas, your expensive MHRV system isn't worth a warm bucket of *p**. Oh, and of course the moist part of the stale air will condense when it hits the cold ducting and leave water marks on your freshly painted ceiling as well.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

d2ww wrote: »
    Just back from the builders providers with 100mm rolls that I'm going to have to wrap around the supply and extract ducting of my supposedly correctly installed MHRV system :mad: I've only had it in a week or so, and knew that I would probably have to insulate the 100mm rigid ducting to optimise the heat exchange, but was going to put it off til after Christmas. But now the unit has switched itself off because even though the moist stale air is leaving the kitchen etc at least 20 degrees, it's below 5 degrees when it reaches the unit, which turns off because it thinks my heating has broken :eek:
    Anyway, the moral of the story is, without properly insulated ducting in unheated areas, your expensive MHRV system isn't worth a warm bucket of *p**. Oh, and of course the moist part of the stale air will condense when it hits the cold ducting and leave water marks on your freshly painted ceiling as well.

completely reinforces the point about having your system installed in a warm area such as an insulated attic space.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I insulated all of the ducting..... unheated areas or not !

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Quack13

Who supplied ur system do you mind me asking?
    You can PM me if not allowed to mention here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Hi Quack, it's still a work in progress so if you don't mind I want to get it sorted first before I send the pm.
    I take your point Syd' but that's not so easy in a bungalow. There is of course, the rectangular ducting that can go in partition walls, but I have to say I was surprised at how noisy the rigid ducting is even at minimum speed. it acts just like a long didjeridoo!!

Advertisement