Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation - help needed

Options
  • 21-12-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm trying to get the attic insulated before the Christmas break which leaves me fairly short on time. I have been trying to gather info about the job, and was hoping to get some clarification here before I go out and buy materials.

Firstly, I got a price for 17 euro per roll of Wool insulation, 6 inches thick. Is this better than the fibreglass? One concern I have heard is that it can attract rats. Would this actually be a problem in a semi detached two storey?

Secondly, with Wool insulation is there a need for a condensation barrier? I have read that this is necessary with fibreglass, so most rolls come with the barrier stuck on one side, but it has to be bought extra to these wool rolls so I'm not sure if it's needed or worth buying. (It's about 95 euro).

Finally, there is fibreglass stuff up there at the moment but it's nearly 30 years old at this stage. Is it worth keeping it and putting it on top of the wool, or even putting the wool on top of it, or should I just dump it?

Thanks very much for any help.

Advertisement