Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good Value or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

These cars are not really known for their reliability!
    Also I believe that getting spares for this car would be a challenge - isn't the factory that makes then closed down now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

MG was Rover and Rover are gone last I heard.

Working on that basis, it is time to avoid Saab* it seems.

*this may have been true before the closure announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Because its a Rover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Spares will be fine. Only real problem is they tend to eat head gaskets. Modified one is available afaik. Remember you may need one when buying and it's good value. Trims a bit cheap too but if that doesn't bother you...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Yeah not quite sure what to do. I want something a little sporty.Keeping in mind that at the moment I'm driving an Opel Corsa so anything that can go faster that 30 mile an hour will seem sporty to me.

I have a 5000 grand limit. Any suggestions? Hoping to keep the tax down though. At least a 02 also. I would love a celica but can't afford the one I want at the moment and the tax is a bit high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3093750

Tax and insurance would be more, but surely a better bet than an MG?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What EPM said. Make sure you understand this, before you decide to buy any car with that engine. Also, the car in the ad probably doesn't have the timing belt changed yet. If there is no proof it has been done, it will need doing straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Cheers for the replies lads. There definately does seem to be a general consensus in regards staying away from MG motors. Not to pushed on the skoda but I'll keep looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Deadalus wrote: »

I have a 5000 grand limit.

You should be able to do a bit better than an '05 Rover with that budget, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Deadalus wrote: »
    There definately does seem to be a general consensus in regards staying away from MG motors.

There is. Mainly from people who haven't a clue. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Because of this ignorance, if you know what the issues are you could get yourself a nice wee bargain :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

They can be had a lot cheaper than that, just make sure they aren't owned by boy/girl racers, have been regularly serviced, and have the headgasket/timing belt done.

Fine wee cars, nothing amazing - but if you can, I'd go for the MG ZS. Much more enjoyable to drive, and big enough. The 1.4 is also fairly nippy pushing just over 100bhp.
    Something like this.

They aren't any more/less reliable than any other car you'll come across really.

If this was £1,500, I so would.

Advertisement