Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Snow Plough

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I saw a snow plough yesterday for the first time in my life on irish roads. It was on the front of a council lorry and he had a gritter on the back. It was easy to know that he had never used the plough before. He was clearing a heavy snow fall off the N4 between Longford and Carrick on Shannon, but instead of having the plough tilted to the left and pushing the snow onto the hard shoulder, the guy had the plough tilted to the right and was throwing the snow onto the lane that was coming in the opposite direction. The same guy did a couple of runs up and down this 20 mile stretch of road. I travelled up this road to work this morning and it was easy to see that he didn't figure out how to operate it. The road was very bad.

I have to say that the state of the roads this morning shows the complete incompetence of our local authority workers. The workers haven't even been properly trained on using the equipment that they have. How could we expect the roads to be clear this morning? In any other country in the world, the local authority would have men working all night in order to keep the main roads clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

reilig wrote: »
    The workers haven't even been properly trained on using the equipment that they have

Apparently they'll let anyone drive a snow plough

9f07-big.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

reilig wrote: »
    I saw a snow plough yesterday for the first time in my life on irish roads. It was on the front of a council lorry and he had a gritter on the back. It was easy to know that he had never used the plough before. He was clearing a heavy snow fall off the N4 between Longford and Carrick on Shannon, but instead of having the plough tilted to the left and pushing the snow onto the hard shoulder, the guy had the plough tilted to the right and was throwing the snow onto the lane that was coming in the opposite direction. The same guy did a couple of runs up and down this 20 mile stretch of road. I travelled up this road to work this morning and it was easy to see that he didn't figure out how to operate it. The road was very bad.

I have to say that the state of the roads this morning shows the complete incompetence of our local authority workers. The workers haven't even been properly trained on using the equipment that they have. How could we expect the roads to be clear this morning? In any other country in the world, the local authority would have men working all night in order to keep the main roads clear.

Contact the relevent County Council / NRA. They don't read boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the hard shoulder is for emergencies.... and should be kept clear....the cars driving on the distrubed snow tend to disperse it IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

I've seen lots of snow ploughing and never have I seen it being pushed anywhere but to the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I've seen lots of snow ploughing and never have I seen it being pushed anywhere but to the side of the road.

Same as that. I too have seen them abroad and they always cleared the snow off to the side of the road rather than onto the other lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

corktina wrote: »
    the hard shoulder is for emergencies.... and should be kept clear....the cars driving on the distrubed snow tend to disperse it IMHO

Nonsense. What's happened here is that the council have bought it from Europe and it has a non-transferrable blade. I remember reading about a similar case a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

deman wrote: »
    Nonsense. What's happened here is that the council have bought it from Europe and it has a non-transferrable blade. I remember reading about a similar case a couple of years ago.

ROFL, that is so typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

the council have bought it from Europe and it has a non-transferrable blade. I remember reading about a similar case a couple of years ago.

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wouldn't think so.

Fixed snow ploughs are very rare these days and are usually only found in private hands as temporary/emergency attachments to be fixed to trucks or tractors for the clearing of large yards or farmyards.

Any communal snow ploughs would come with hydraulics.
    You absolutely need to be able to swivel the plough from left to right (and up and down) if you want to do any meaningful work with it ...regardless on which side of the road you drive.

Unless of course somebody had absolutely no clue what they were buying ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

the hard shoulder is for emergencies.... and should be kept clear

What a ridiculous statement to make. So what is he meant to do then plough the hard shoulder and pile the snow in the driving lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

peasant wrote: »
    Unless of course somebody had absolutely no clue what they were buying ...:D

Well this is Ireland:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Jaysus.....I've heard it all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I wouldn't think so.

Fixed snow ploughs are very rare these days and are usually only found in private hands as temporary/emergency attachments to be fixed to trucks or tractors for the clearing of large yards or farmyards.

...:D

You said it.... these days.

I agree that in countries where snow ploughs are used every day for 4 months like here in Finland, yes, the snow ploughs are state-of-the-art, modern and new snow ploughs with hydraulics controlling the blade.

But in a country like Ireland, where a snow plough might be needed a few days a year, do you really like the local council are going too spend big bucks on a new snow plough. No... My guess is (although I could be wrong) that this county council bought a used snow plough at discount, not checking it out and not realising that in the older models, the blade is fixed.

They probably didn't even realise it until this morning :D

And it's NOT just the Irish. The story I read about before (a few years ago) happened when it was Manchester City Council bought used ploughs from Finland and it was 3 years before they realised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

2012_roads_indo_445346t.jpg

even ancient ones (this one is from 1982) have at least a hinge, if not hydraulics
    44f5_24.JPG

newer ones are fully hydraulic
    4ea9_24.JPG

I'd say that Paddy Ploughdriver was just a tad thick (or the council truck has no front hydraulics, which is more likely :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Saw the plough out clearing the road this evening on the way home from work - this time it was tilted the correct way. :)

There you go then ...thicko driver :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Could have just sent out a grader, they have serious grunt and the blades can be GPS guided!

grader-140h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, all countries needs them to point in both directions, not only for urban / one-way street, but also on very wide roads the show would be pushed both towards the median and the verge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They should've called this guy....

2048150955_97c605f1cc.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement