Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurrah to the councils.

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Well done for getting the lads out gritting all the major roads last night.

Especially the M7.

Oh wait ... what was that? You didnt do anything? Feck all? Zip? Nada? Nothing?

If you did do anything guys it wasnt visible in the slightest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They grittted them last week when it was a bit chilly, it freezes over last night and not a bit of grit to be seen, saw a car do a 180 spin on the roundabout near the parkway last night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i saw some gritting trucks about last night, the snow and freeze made conditions much worse. Also, christ the irish can't drive on snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

zuroph wrote: »
    i saw some gritting trucks about last night, the snow and freeze made conditions much worse. Also, christ the irish can't drive on snow.

This is very true. People try to drive at their regular speeds regardless of weather conditions. Was driving from the Jetland to Dooradoyle last night and people were taking stupid risks on the roads.

Things like driving fast at a roundabout to try and zip out in front of cars that are already on the roundabout, and driving straight through junctions at speed despite oncoming traffic.

The idea of slowing down and adapting your driving to the conditions is lost on many here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Tell that to the two trucks that overtook me on the M7 going about 80, the snow filled overtkaing lane I might add.

I dont think the term "jackknife" would fit in their tiny little minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

is grit not useless when there is snowfall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

cyberspi wrote: »

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It certainly made a difference in Ennis. The problem this morning was when first few cars had been over the now, where it compacted and refroze.

Not looking for ward to the drive home, have they done anything with the roads during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

GRITTING THE ROADS AT 5:30PM SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORK LATE IS B*LLOCKS. GET IN THE FVCKING TRUCKS TONIGHT AND DO IT THEN!!!(Dunno 10:30PM onwards and again at 6am maybe

I drove from Limerick to Cork City(through Ballyanders) and back up today(N20). Gritter passed me in Cork around 1PM. Anything around Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

jmccoy wrote: »
    Nail on the head.

yeah the guys ou in UL were saltin the roads this am when i was leaving!! on snow like.. kinda a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

cyberspi wrote: »

Its meant to be spread on top of snow or black ice. Its not a preventative if thats what you mean. Unless it contains salt, which I dont think they use in Ireland. - scratch this. I cant find proof of it anywhere, I thought I saw it on boards. Something to do with cars in Ireland having less underside rust due to no salt being used in the grit mix vs the UK who use salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

The gritter truck was out on Saturday night around 11, not sure about last night as I didnt move out, the roads in the city were gritted again this evening and I suppose they'll be out agian later.

Regardless of grit, drivers need to slow down and drive with due care and attentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Condel Road moving well this morning - nice and slowly, everyone keeping well into their own sides and leaving plenty of potential skid room until taxi decided to barge way through to use the totally invisible due to snow, bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Kess73 wrote: »
    This is very true. People try to drive at their regular speeds regardless of weather conditions. Was driving from the Jetland to Dooradoyle last night and people were taking stupid risks on the roads.

Things like driving fast at a roundabout to try and zip out in front of cars that are already on the roundabout, and driving straight through junctions at speed despite oncoming traffic.

The idea of slowing down and adapting your driving to the conditions is lost on many here.

Yeah People can generally drive fairly quickly in these conditions with feck all indication of likely traction problems - God help them once they give their brakes the slightest touch though - GOODNIGHT!

I was walking on a path today convinced some 17 year old doing 50 while texting his Mates was going to skid, mount the kerb and Mow me down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Gritter was on the M7 towards Finnegans around 5:40PM. It makes no difference though because by the time the road freezes the grit that went down would be picked up by people's tyres and be long gone unless they grit tonight which is unlikely.

Advertisement