Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with licence

Options
  • 21-12-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

Motors is the most suitable place I could find for this but if anyone knows of a better one let me know!

An old friend of mine is in a spot of bother. She has had a licence for decades now but it expired a few months ago. When she was going to renew it she realised that the date of birth on it is wrong. When she thought about it she figured it had been this way since she got it and that it was always renewed with the wrong date of birth. She wants to sort it out but doesn't know how. She's afraid that she could end up off the road or even in jail no matter what she does. So now she's driving as little as possible and hoping that no guard ever realises the licence is out of date! She's really stressed over it though.

Has anyone ever heard of a similar case or have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How much is the date of birth out by, are we talking decades or a couple of months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iwantacar2

Only 3 months. It says April when it should be July.

That shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'd say contact the Dept Of Environment about it and they will correct it when issueing the new one. Driving around with an out of date licence could invalidate their insurance, either don't drive or get the licence sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd go in with passport/birthcert etc and explain that when you looked at the old license to renew it you noticed the birthdate was incorrect. If the day and year are right, 4 and 7 are right above each other on the keyboard, so it's possible that someone just hit 4 instead of 7 at some stage.

Would it be as simple as that though? From the authority's point of view every time she renewed the licence she lied about her date of birth. They could see it as fraud. Admittedly there wouldn't be much of a reason for having a fake date of birth on a licence but I suppose people might try it deliberately to have 2 identities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Shouldn't be a massive issue, my mum's license rarely had the correct year of birth.
    Just look to amend it by calling the dept of Env.

License is valid for 5 years, post expiry, assuming the holder doesn't hit 70 in that time, for insurance purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    That shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'd say contact the Dept Of Environment about it and they will correct it when issueing the new one. Driving around with an out of date licence could invalidate their insurance, either don't drive or get the licence sorted.

AFAIK your insurance is still valid with an out of date licence as most policies say have or had a licence for the category of vehicle you are driving.

They should have spotted it when they issued the licence, normally stuff like this is checked against your PPS number to see that you actually exist at that age, someone must have been on the beer the night before :D

Did your mom's licence get corrected without any hassle bogger??

I think the PPS is the main thing scaring her now tbh. When she renewed the licence last over 10 years ago now I suppose the computer systems were as good as they are now! Maybe if she rings tomorrow she'll get someone full of the joys of xmas who'll happily fix it for her! Could take some convincing to get her to ring though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Yeah, it's all sorted now
    But my guess is ur mates license pre dated use of PPS/PRSI numbers so they took what ever was wrote on the form initially, and ever since it's just been re-issued so no checks against pps were done,

• Advertisement

Just thinking about the insurance thing, what I'm worried about with that is whether her insurance would actually have to pay a claim if it came to light about her wrong date of birth. Technically they've insured a non-existant person!

Yea Bogger, as far as I know it was applied for in those olden times! I don't know if that makes it better or worse. Like it means that either whoever dealt with the application read it wrong or she somehow filled in her own date of birth wrong. The second option could definitely lead to fraudulent thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

iwantacar2 wrote: »
    Just thinking about the insurance thing, what I'm worried about with that is whether her insurance would actually have to pay a claim if it came to light about her wrong date of birth. Technically they've insured a non-existant person!

Insurance is based on good faith. The person never knew their licence was wrong so there should be no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Either way the person concerned needs to get it dealt with before the licence is useless as a renewal tool and she needs to sit the test again. Not sure how long after expiry you have to do this so get the skates on.

Do insurance companies really practice good faith?? I think she has 5 years after the licence expires before she'd have to do the test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Would it be as simple as that though? From the authority's point of view every time she renewed the licence she lied about her date of birth. They could see it as fraud. Admittedly there wouldn't be much of a reason for having a fake date of birth on a licence but I suppose people might try it deliberately to have 2 identities.

I think you/she is reading too much into this incident. We are not living in Stalinist Russia. She will not get into any trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...... The second option could definitely lead to fraudulent thoughts!

LOL, conspiracy theorists of the world unite ! :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, to put the cat amongst the pigeons for a minute, and let's throw 'good faith' out the window for a minute, I'd argue (don't I always :p) that renewal of licence is........'not an offer to buy, but solicitation of an offer to sell'

:)
    :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well we are both the kind to think far too much into things!

You've lost me galwaytt! Are you thinking that because they're "selling" it with the wrong DOB it's their fault or have I that completely wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I wouldnt fret about it just get it sorted.

I dont think jail is on the cards :D your friend worries too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I wouldn't worry about it. The same can happen with your address if you move house before your current license expires. The address will be incorrect until you renew again.

Even though your friends date of birth was incorrect, at least she had a license. On the renewal form she just has to fill in her correct date of birth for her new license. If she is getting it renewed at the tax office she should mention it to them to make sure it's correct on the new license they issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Do insurance companies really practice good faith?? I think she has 5 years after the licence expires before she'd have to do the test again.

Wrong, the licence has to have expired for 10 years before you have to do the theory test, learners permit, an test etc.

Advertisement