Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP - How quick to learn :)

Options
  • 21-12-2009 12:02am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys
    Piece of string Q but how quick could a programmer learn PHP?

Have been programming for circa 13 years but only webdev I have done is ASP and ASP.net, the rest has been as MS product development.

2 people have asked for work to be done, 1 a site and the other to take an Open Source product developed in PHP and make 30 or 40 changes to it.

So really how long would I expect to get from not having a bean on how to install PHP, I think I need a webserver installed and PHP installed ;) , to getting a site up and running and linking to a backend.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

yop wrote: »
    So really how long would I expect to get from not having a bean on how to install PHP, I think I need a webserver installed and PHP installed ;) , to getting a site up and running and linking to a backend.
    Basic knowledge: three to four hours.
    Working knowledge: about a week with experimentation.
    Functional programming knowledge: about a month.

PHP draws on C and some Java but the concepts for most programming languages are similar and allow it to be understood easily. The only tricky areas will be REGEXP. Set up a webserver and have the error log tailed in a window so you can see your mistakes.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thank for that. It gives me an idea for sure.
    I must get a webserver downloaded, I think XAMPP is recommended so will try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭gahim

Hi,
    I'm Aran from Gahim, we are a free website builder under construction for the BT Young Scientist, unfortunatly we have come a accross an error which we just can't get our head around, when you visit http://beta.gahim.com there is a form there, that form is suppost to 'throw' that information to http://beta.gahim.com/start. When someone enters there email and password and clicks continue we use the <? echo $_POST; ?> in the value of the email field so what they have entered in the previous form goes onto this. Unfortunatly it just doesn't work, we have tried everything the ID is perfect, the pages are in php and we have even contacted our web host about it and they can't find the problem, could someone please help us? Thanks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

probably should have started your own thread.

[php]
    <input type="text" id="email" style="position:absolute;left:6px;top:62px;width:222px;font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;z-index:3" size="37" name="email" value="<php echo $_POST;">
    [/php]

also dude, abstract your css into a separate file you'll thank me in the long run.

probably should have started your own thread.

[php]
    <input type="text" id="email" style="position:absolute;left:6px;top:62px;width:222px;font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;z-index:3" size="37" name="email" value="<php echo $_POST;">
    [/php]also dude, abstract your css into a separate file you'll thank me in the long run.

That's exactly what I had on my website though what needs changing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gahim wrote: »
    That's exactly what I had on my website though what needs changing...

if you do a... print_r($_POST); is the $_POST var set? it's most likely not as if you use the line i posted in the previous post it would appear in the text box.

The var is set, everything has been triple checked, how do I put stuff into a seperate css file?

Hi I have done everything but it still is not working...

Advertisement