Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mediterranean cruise this summer?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would like to take my partner this summer for a surprise holiday. Midterranean Curise is whats on my mind. I know like Caribbean cruises are much cheaper, but I would need to get visa to go there, which is bit too much hassle at the moment.

I have never been to any cruise before, so I am wondering, do you have any recommendations on the company/provider/travel agent?

There's quite few options on travelsupermarket and tripadvisor, but I don't know any of the companies listed there.

I'm looking for something nice, with reasonable price tag.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Friends of mine went on 'Voyager of the Seas' from Barcelona for 10 days last Summer. They said it was excellent all round. Check out Cruise Critic for reviews of all ships. Here is the one on Voyager of the Seas.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=105

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Book with an American travel agents far cheaper. This site will let loads of them quote you a price http://www.cruisecompete.com

Also try http://www.vacationstogo.com they are American , but have an Irish free phone numbers.

As for the best cruise line it depends on what you are after.

Three questions :

What age group would you put yourself in ?

Do you prefer formal or casual ?

How much do you want to spend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

4 of us booked 1st time cruise with Thomson to Med this summer.
    €750 each for 7 nights all inclusive plus flights from Belfast.
    Seems not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Hi

A Cruise is a fantastic holiday. The type of cruise as jhegarty said totally depends on what you want. I have only ever travelled with Royal Caribbean - they cater for the 25 to 60 age market and have fantastic facilities on board. I find booking with the Company directly and organising your own flights works out well. They also do fantastic cruises out of Southhampton if your looking for a closer departure point.

www.cruise-chat.com has some great discussions on various ports, ships etc

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Hi. My wife and I went on a Med cruise in '05, and liked it so much we took the whole family(5) in '06 for almost the same amount as we paid in '05. Everyone had a ball. Would do it all again at the drop of a hat & a winning lotto ticket;). The kids made full use of the 24hr dining, the kids clubs etc. The oldest boy made lots of new friends from Cork, Dublin, Belfast & London, all of whom he has visited since. The company was Island Cruises, their motto was "Relaxed, Friendly & informal" - no airs & graces! (I think they have been taken over since then by Thonpson). Great to wake up in a different city/country every morning ~ Corsica, Rome, Pisa, Monaco, Niece & Majorca. The tour company we used first was Falcon & American Holidays second time round. You do need a week to recover though when you get back home:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulk1979

Hey all,

just looking at your posts there, I have cruised about nine times now, on MSC, RCCL and SilverSea....all fantastic ships, myself and my wife are only 30, and as much as I loved the service on silversea....it is however a much older client on board.

So I would stick with MSC and RCCL. MSC are pretty much the Med experts while RCCL really come into ther own in the caribbean, I booked all of my cruises through my local agent, as I personally feel it both safer and a better service from dealing with people face to face, If i recall correct most of there staff have at least cruised a few times, and they were the ones who recommended every thing for me. www.purecruise.ie is there site,

For those who dont mind the whole online booking tools etc...I know MSC and RCCL both have great informative sites that will allow you to do so, or as I said just call your agent

Hope this helps

Paul & Bec

Advertisement