Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why would a 8 year old car never have been NCT'd

Options
  • 20-12-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a possibility of buying a car (privately) at a good price.
    However, it is a 2001 car and has never been NCT'd.

I intend asking the owner why it has not been NCT'd.

In the interim, is there any valid reason why a Toyota previa would not be NCT'd??

Are there any administrative problems with the NCT people?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Could be a recent import that has dodged the nct. Should still have gotten it nct'd at some stage. Is it Irish or an import?

If it hasn't got one, there's probably a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Most likely an import. Thats the main reason I could think off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Tra****ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Just got my 2003 car nct tested for the first time. It should have been done in jan 07 and again in jan 09 but i never bothered. As it should have been done in jan 09 the cert runs out in jan 11. Didn't have any hassel from the nct crowd for not doing it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dewsbury wrote: »
    Hi,

In the interim, is there any valid reason why a Toyota previa would not be NCT'd??

Don't buy it unless they NCT it. Even if it's a recent import buying privately you've no come back and if it fails it's NCT you could be out a lot of money. Make them NCT it before sale or walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The real question here is why on earth you want to buy a Previa:confused:
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I second that. The Previa's engine sits under the floor, which means you can do nothing yourself to it, unless you've got a lift.

It's hugely expensive in maintainance.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lisnagry

Yes, It has not been looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if its never been NCTd its almost certainly never been serviced....no brainer as to whether youd buy it or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Marlow wrote: »
    I second that. The Previa's engine sits under the floor, which means you can do nothing yourself to it, unless you've got a lift.

It's hugely expensive in maintainance.

/M
    The 2nd generation Previa (from 00-06) is front engined.
    Most major components are shared with the Camry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

mickdw wrote: »
    Most likely an import. Thats the main reason I could think off.

The registration office are on the ball (with UK imports at least) as I imported my car in mid october 2007 and I got a NCT booking form in the post in December before the cars brithday at the end of December less than 2months later.

Most likely this car hasnt been looked after so the owner hasnt bothered to get a valid NCT for the last number of year....or he has in fact brought it to the NCT but it failed on something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I wouldnt be all that put off, if you want them to put it through the nct you might be waiting a few months which wont work, you could offer to pay for a nct check in a garage, then if it fails you can work the cost of getting it to pass into the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

corktina wrote: »
    if its never been NCTd its almost certainly never been serviced....no brainer as to whether youd buy it or not....

What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i recently bough a 2002 MG ZR with FSH and has also never been NCT'd. treat it like any other car purchase and enter it with your eyes open and carry out all the necessary checks that you'd normally do.

ps. the MG flew through the NCT without me putting a penny into it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Hi,

It could have been used on one of the islands for 8 years.

Don't see a problem, take all the above replies in consideration of 'a good price'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

blastman wrote: »
    What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

which bit didnt you understand? quite clear to me, I would suspect that someone who doesnt bother with a two-yearly safety check also wont bother with an annual service...i would want to see the service history...otherwise i would avoid it like the plague

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

which bit didnt you understand? quite clear to me, I would suspect that someone who doesnt bother with a two-yearly safety check also wont bother with an annual service...i would want to see the service history...otherwise i would avoid it like the plague

the irish NCT test is not a good inspection of a car and i certainly wouldny buy a car based on the nct test alone.

what if the car was only imported last year, would that not be a valid reason for no NCT????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

rowanh wrote: »
    if you want them to put it through the nct you might be waiting a few months

Actually, that's just because you aren't checking NCT places a bit further away. Like in my case Athlone is always overbooked, but if I go to the NCT test-center in Tullamore instead, which isn't too far away, I can get a test within days, sometimes even same or next day.

/M

Advertisement