Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a red and white wine?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm sure this probably gets asked all the time, but are there are nice red and whites on offer somewhere that you would recommend? I'm having guests over for christmas dinner and would like to supply some nice wine. Generally when I buy wine, I usually go for Oyster Bay (white) or Chateau neuf du pappe (red) so I would really like to get something different.

However, I know nothing about wine to be honest so need some help! I dont want to spend much more than up to €15 a bottle though. Any decent deals around?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I'm sure this probably gets asked all the time, but are there are nice red and whites on offer somewhere that you would recommend? I'm having guests over for christmas dinner and would like to supply some nice wine. Generally when I buy wine, I usually go for Oyster Bay (white) or Chateau neuf du pappe (red) so I would really like to get something different.

However, I know nothing about wine to be honest so need some help! I dont want to spend much more than up to €15 a bottle though. Any decent deals around?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you're based, but get into your local wine shop and get some advice, talk through what you like what you don't like etc.

IMO there are far better wines than Oyster Bay for the same price, you just need to know where to look.

If you're near Tesco, then look for two Australian wines which will match the style of many Chateau Neuf du Papes:

1. St. Hallett's Gamekeeper's Reserve (€9.99)
    2. Tim Adams The Fergus (around €14)

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Also maybe try Italian reds ..
    great with any food! ,,,for whites you could also try a nice pino gris from Alsace in France i think superquinn have it for around E12, You can get a nice Italian maybe from southern italy they tend to be rich and dark , salice salentino or a taurisi maybe generally around E13

goood luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Baggio wrote: »
    Also maybe try Italian reds ..

:)

Yea ...

and believe it or not Lidl and Aldi's have some good wine in at the moment for Christmas. Obviously the more expensive ones I'm talking about.

Paulo Touillio recomends the Italian from Lidl

Moreillino di Scansano @ €9.99

I very rarely spend over 10Euro for a wine but

Trimbach Gewurtztraminer @ €17.99 is a personal favourite for special occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've had some really good reds from Spain lately. The best was a 2005 Montsant 'Barrica' (Mas Donis) from Catalunya, but I've had good Riojas as well. Most have been quite reasonable.

After dinner I usually pull out a Saracco Moscato d'Asti - it is always a crowd-pleaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

If you choose a french red wine for an average budget, choose a 2005 it was a very warm and good year in France for wine. You can have a really good Bordeaux around 20€ if you like strong wine. If you look for a more sweet wine, look around some Bourgogne, always 2005 around 15€.

Avoid totally year 2006 as the wineyard have been to much ''exhausted'' the year before, they are not a good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'm with Sourgrapes - your local (good) wine shop will direct you and will probably have a range for you to taste before you buy.

Its such a personal thing! For example, I would also be a big fan of the Trimbach Gewurtz (also Hugel, and a few others) but it is quite a flowery, aromatic wine and in my experience lots of people don't like it.

For Christmas dinner I think I would prefer to play it safe, and taste before I buy or get something I have a good idea about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

+1 on going to your local independent offie or wine shop and asking advice.
    Give them your budget and see what they come up with.
    If you don't like their attitude or suspect they don't know their stuff, go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Dunno about white but for red try any of the following: Barbera d'asti (italian), Barbera d'alba (italian) or a carmenere (chilean) - all reasonably priced. If you fancy splashing out at all, then try a barolo or a barberesco, both italian, both expensive but worth the treat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If you're looking for a decent wine to accompany your Christmas day grub, try source something from the Languedoc region of France. The most under-rated of all French AOCs. Any wine with a grenache/syrah/mouverdre blend will go very well with a turkey and gravy based dish. Chatêau La Grande Maison, a spicy warm red is a favourite of mine. Any medium priced barossa valley shiraz from Australia cuts through all that grease on a christmas dinner plate too, a good one is Dutschke St Jakobi Shiraz, very silky and peppery, with soft but warm tannins. A beautiful wine for under E20.

For white, since its Christmas you have to think of either sparkling (aperitif) or after dinner (dessert). Collavini Prosecco is a nice soft starter, not too dry and with good creamy apple/banana/bread flavours coming through. E12-14 in most offies. And for dessert, dont go for a cloying sweet dessert wine like a barsac or sauternes. Instead, choose a semi-dry Vouvray from the Loire Valley. Made from Chenin Blanc, when its done well its a gorgeous wine. My two favourites are Chatêau Valmer Vouvray and Chatelain des Jacques Vouvray. Both available for around E10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maria121

I would suggest you to have Cabernet Sauvignon type red wine that tastes awesome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement