Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ramps - looking for best car

Options
  • 20-12-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My back is in bits from driving over street ramps. Currently have a Primera 2006 . nice car but sharp suspension. Looking for a smaller car ( Auris size ) .

Any ideas what is the most comfortable car in this class. I will be doing 99% city driving.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Folks,

My back is in bits from driving over street ramps. Currently have a Primera 2006 . nice car but sharp suspension. Looking for a smaller car ( Auris size ) .

Any ideas what is the most comfortable car in this class. I will be doing 99% city driving.

thanks in advance.

I always thought that model Primera had soft suspension. If you think that's bad, don't drive the '00 Primera!

Maybe just slow down over the bumps, easier on the back and car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Get a 1968 Dodge Charger. Best car for ramping.
    Paint it orange, with the confederate flag on the roof.
    Weld the doors shut so you have to get in the window...

Sorry, couldn't resist that.
    My only serious input here would be that maybe petrol cars would have better front suspension for going over ramps? Diesel engines are heavier so usually would have stiffer suspension on the front to cope with the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Our E39 (BMW 5 series '00 to '04) with its super soft stock (not Sports model) suspension can simply drive over bumps and small ramps I have to slow down to a crawl in other cars for. Too soft for fast driving though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Something French like a c4 might suit. French cars tend to be smoother riding for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep old and French works with humps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

EPM wrote: »
    Something French like a c4 might suit. French cars tend to be smoother riding for the most part

+1 on that. My old Pug 406 was great on the speed bumps

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep old and French works with humps.

That could be taken in so many different ways:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

French cars, also don't drive straight over the ramp. Drive diagonally accross them, from the outer part of the driving lane to the inner. This increaes the lenght of the gradient, making a more comfortable journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Passat or A4 - make sure wheels are no bigger than 16"

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

thanks to all of you for the kind and humerous advice !!

Was looking at a C4 to be sure. Will look harder now.

Happy Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think the C4 comes with different types of suspension? Don't they have some fancy air suspension and a regular one?

edit: never mind, I thought you said a C6. But I don't even think that car has what I was thinking about. :S

I think the C4 comes with different types of suspension? Don't they have some fancy air suspension and a regular one?

Think C4 is springs but the C5 can be springs or pneumatic afaik.

Yes, its good advice to slow down over the ramps. I travel down Blackhorse avenue to work, and it has practically alpine ramps. They are so sharp and severe. Anyways, I used to have a second car, a Yaris, which I loved driving to work in. Some toe-rags danced on it a couple of Christmasses ago, it was a write off. However, it was a far smoother car than the Primera. I could take the ramps at 40kph. I have to drop to 30 Kph in the primera for similar comfort.

cheers again, and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

You'd need one of these for some of the ramps around Dublin:

bowler-wildcat-jump.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Citroen have that something-pneumatic suspension which is supposed to be excellent. Not sure about the rest of the car though... Ha only joking! Ive never driven in one but they are supposed to be comfortable.
    Or a hovercraft

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You'd need one of these for some of the ramps around Dublin:
    Yep, off-road racecars laugh in the face of 'traffic calming' measures.

Can be quite entertaining when being tailgated by our backwards-hat wearing brethren in their low-slung plastic creations. :D

Incidentally, I was told one time that whenever you encounter a speedbump on your travels, that you should give a merry toot of your horn as you negotiate it so that the local residents who campaigned for its installation know that you support and approve of their efforts to restrict the flow of traffic through 'their' area. :)

yes!! a hovercraft ... i love it. and no need to rotate tyres etc. will also try that horn thing especially as i commute past there at about 7 a.m. :D.
    I did see one low-down scobie on that road, man that guy was raisin sparks. didnt see him again. friction on the undercarriage is such a sore thing.

Happy Christmas y'all !

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Any car with air suspension should be good for ramps. I drive a mates 06 RR at times and she can take the biggest speed bumps at 50mph. We've found the faster you go into them the less effect they have on you!!! I know it's not the car your looking for but anything with air suspension should be good...

Advertisement