Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest Broadband in Clare?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anybody know what the highest speed broadband you can get around the Clare area is? I eventually settled on a place in Crusheen a few mins outside of Ennis (previously had a thread about nice places in Ennis!).

I've tried UPC for their 10 or 20Mb, no coverage (not even in Ennis), Magnet can't offer their 10Mb, they can only offer 7.6Mb (with 12:1 contention ratio), plus thats as a max, the real speeds could be significantly worse. The phone line might not actually be able to take that much, especially if i am a good distance away from an exchange, so it could be much slower than that :(

I was just wondering if anybody knows of anything faster than 7.6Mb that could be available? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

nope, BB in the mid-west doesnt seem to be a priority for govt
    i'm in ennis, no more then a mile form the exchange, on 7.6 package, but only get 3.5 mb max, for 61 a month, eircom are thieving *****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I don't know the answer. I use Vodafone mobile BB as I couldn't get BB via Eircom where I live, it costs me €29.99 pm, they claim 7.2Mb but when I check it's often down to 40K (just a bit more than I used to get with Eircom dial-up, but half the cost)! I tried '3' which is about half the cost of Vodafone, but couldn't get a strong enough signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Have a look at the BBnet website - they cover some parts of Clare. We use them (in West Limerick) and they're OK. Not the fastest (or cheapest) but a decent bunch to deal with. Could be an alternative if you're stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

How far away from the exchange are you? The exchange in Crusheen is the small white building on the left as you come under the railway bridge from Ennis.
    The distance from here to your house will give you a rough idea what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

iora_rua wrote: »
    Have a look at the BBnet website - they cover some parts of Clare. We use them (in West Limerick) and they're OK. Not the fastest (or cheapest) but a decent bunch to deal with. Could be an alternative if you're stuck!

Agree. It works fine (here in East Clare) and the service is excellent.You actually deal with real people! And they do everything to help in case of difficulties - and pronto.
    Not sure if they have Crusheen on the list. Doesn't look like it. But give them a call.
    http://www.bbnet.ie/?county=clare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

lebowsky wrote: »
    How far away from the exchange are you? The exchange in Crusheen is the small white building on the left as you come under the railway bridge from Ennis.
    The distance from here to your house will give you a rough idea what to expect.

Basically, at the petrol station. Not sure of the distance to the railway bridge (thats the one near the bad bends, unless theres another one?), but if thats the one, its not more than a 2 min drive I guess. Thats pretty close? :o

If it worked out that my 7.6Mb was really 3.5Mb and the contention ratio is 12:1 on that.... :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Basically, at the petrol station. Not sure of the distance to the railway bridge (thats the one near the bad bends, unless theres another one?), but if thats the one, its not more than a 2 min drive I guess. Thats pretty close? :o

If it worked out that my 7.6Mb was really 3.5Mb and the contention ratio is 12:1 on that.... :(:eek:

You should have no bother getting the max package for that exchange probably 7 Mb.
    As far as contention ratio of 12:1 you would have to be really unlucky to see your speeds half as a result. I think the previous poster (Bobby) has probably an internal problem if he's only a mile from the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

lebowsky wrote: »
    You should have no bother getting the max package for that exchange probably 7 Mb.
    As far as contention ratio of 12:1 you would have to be really unlucky to see your speeds half as a result. I think the previous poster (Bobby) has probably an internal problem if he's only a mile from the exchange.

Cheers...I guess 12:1 is pretty good, although I was on 1:1 with 10Mb Magnet before, so I'm just a bit paranoid if I have 11 others lads who would be heavy users for downloads, etc. on a slower line to begin with.

Although, checking the Digiweb site, I put in Crusheen, and it says they can offer 12Mb, 12:1 contention ratio, 70GB which I'd ideally like to be a bit higher, but at the same time, its still a decent size. If this is the case, and this is available, seems like the best option. A bit pricey when you include line rental though.

Advertisement