Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mywheels.ie regrets to inform us it is now pay per view!! argh

Options
  • 19-12-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

mywheels.ie regrets to inform us it is now pay per view.

just like to say what a shame. Was a very handy site when it was free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

That was always going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

tossy wrote: »
    That was always going to happen.

doesnt mean I have to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Aww crap, this site was incredibly handy. I wouldn't have minded a reasonable fee, or maybe a subscription service.. but 7 euro per check is taking the piss really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

Redisle wrote: »
    Aww crap, this site was incredibly handy. I wouldn't have minded a reasonable fee, or maybe a subscription service.. but 7 euro per check is taking the piss really..

yup wtf. 7 quid is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

emurphy wrote: »
    yup wtf. 7 quid is madness.

not if it saves you buying a sh!tbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Dear User,

We wish to inform our users that as and from today (19 December 2009) we must introduce a charge for access to vehicle history data.

Since the release of our service we have worked closely with our data providers in monitoring site activity and responding to user queries. During this initial period it has become apparent that unregistered access to underlying vehicle information could present a risk of misuse. It had originally been our intention to provide Irish Vehicle History checks for free, however providing the data at no cost does not facilitate usage verification. For this reason we will be introducing a fee to our users, payable by credit card to access www.mywheels.ie vehicle history data on-line.

In moving to a fee-based service we are expanding the range of information available to our users with the introduction of vehicle finance checking as well as UK import vehicle history checks.

We regret that we have had to introduce any charges and would like to assure you that we remain committed to providing the lowest price and best value vehicle history check in the market.

Regards,
    MyWheels.ie.

http://mywheels.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I checked it the other day for a written off car and it showed it as something else. Def the correct plate. Wouldn't pay them for that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The suspicious part of me says they made the side free for the first while so they get 1000's of back links.

Sure why else. It's like all the other car sale sites. You can't remember half them but everyone and their dog knows mywheels now because of the free bit

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

A lad in work was telling me the other day that a friend of his brought the site to court because he was in the middle of creating the same service on line that would not be free

• Advertisement

8vjohn wrote: »
    A lad in work was telling me the other day that a friend of his brought the site to court because he was in the middle of creating the same service on line that would not be free

On what grounds could he possibly have a case ?

Don't know tbh jhegarty, probably just bull who knows?

sounds a bit silly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There's a guy works down the chip shop, swears he's Elvis...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

i have a funny feeling the site will be short lived now... a hit and miss service is ok when free, but to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Surely one can't take another to court for what is purely competing?

I don't get this country. They absolutely kill car dealers for operating anti-competitive price cartels, while they have one of their own in VRT, and now mywheels has to charge for its service due to being overly competitive. It's absolute bloody madness.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Surely one can't take another to court for what is purely competing?

You can't , it's bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Meh, poor business model to try and charge for something that was once free.

Imagine the failure of trying to introduce a $5 a month fee for facebook.

They should have gone the banner/ affiliate route for additional income, because I just see them fading into oblivion with this model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is impossibly wrong on many levels

Firstly, sueing someone for providing the same service as you cheaper or free isn't possible unless you have patent rights over a core process of that service. This service has existed since the day HPI was formed in the UK and the processes behind it ("buy and index lots of data") date back to the 1700s and business directories!

Secondly, at least two public services already offer this info for a fee - cartell.ie and motorcheck.ie. If you had a case against a site doing it for free you'd also have a case against those doing it for a fee.

Thirdly, its a friend of a lad in work = when has a third hand source ever been accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

VolvoMan wrote: »
    .... mywheels has decides to charge for its service....
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    This is impossibly wrong on many levels

Firstly, sueing someone for providing the same service as you cheaper or free isn't possible unless you have patent rights over a core process of that service. This service has existed since the day HPI was formed in the UK and the processes behind it ("buy and index lots of data") date back to the 1700s and business directories!

Secondly, at least two public services already offer this info for a fee - cartell.ie and motorcheck.ie. If you had a case against a site doing it for free you'd also have a case against those doing it for a fee.

Thirdly, its a friend of a lad in work = when has a third hand source ever been accurate?

Sorry, did I say it was an accurate source of information? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

pity this... 7 a car is a bit much when your car shopping, you could be looking to check 10 plus cars.... a monthly subscription would have been nicer..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

This is awful! How the hell are we supposed to check the histories of several cars any more without it costing a bomb . . this couldn't have come at a worse time for me as I'm in the process of buying my first car . . oh well. The only feasible reason that I can think of for them to remove the free service is that hi spec cars were being discovered by thieves through the use of mywheels and then stolen as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Would be much better for them if it was a free service but get proceeds from advertising. Nobodys going to pay 7 quid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dear User,

We wish to inform our users that as and from today (19 December 2009) we must introduce a charge for access to vehicle history data.

Since the release of our service we have worked closely with our data providers in monitoring site activity and responding to user queries. During this initial period it has become apparent that unregistered access to underlying vehicle information could present a risk of misuse. It had originally been our intention to provide Irish Vehicle History checks for free, however providing the data at no cost does not facilitate usage verification. For this reason we will be introducing a fee to our users, payable by credit card to access www.mywheels.ie vehicle history data on-line.

In moving to a fee-based service we are expanding the range of information available to our users with the introduction of vehicle finance checking as well as UK import vehicle history checks.

We regret that we have had to introduce any charges and would like to assure you that we remain committed to providing the lowest price and best value vehicle history check in the market.

Regards,
    MyWheels.ie.

http://mywheels.ie/

If they are giving UK HPI checks for 7 then that's not too bad. Not much use for IE cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

Just noticed this morning, what a shame.

Great site but only on a free basis.

Does anyone know if you were to set up another free based site what the overheads might be?
    Getting access to the information database only, not the website or marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

mywheels wrote:
    Del2005 wrote: »
    If they are giving UK HPI checks for 7 then that's not too bad. Not much use for IE cars though.

I would take that to mean that they are introducing Irish finance checks and UK vehicle history for cars that have come from the UK.

Both are welcome-in my own case, my car was imported (by me) and is 'high risk' according to mywheels (I had a full AA check run on it before I imported it).

As others have said, €7 seems a bit much for 1 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

I've used them a lot. Won't bother now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

not if it saves you buying a sh!tbox.

Just because all the paperwork checks out doesnt mean you can avoid a ****box....imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement