Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Automatic 2002

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a basic enough box and the engine isn't that powerful. Make sure they fit a proper stereo and an immobiliser (if one isn't fitted)
    Don't take the mileage seriously if they don't have the auction sheet from Japan (which they probably won't) Insist on a new timing belt and aux belts and 4 new tyres as the ones from Japan will be in shoite and are prob winter tyres seeing as there aren't any alloys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Jap imports... well, make sure you get the original auction sheet, otherwise be content with a fictitious odometer reading.

Honda autos are reliable only if the fluid is changed on schedule, which is around every 50k miles. If you do buy one without a service history make sure this is the first job you get done. It will only cost about 30 euro extra if done as part of a service.

+1 on the ATF. forgot to mention that. amazing how Irish garages completely ignore doing this job.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    +1 on the ATF. forgot to mention that. amazing how Irish garages completely ignore doing this job.

There's a mistaken assumption that as the manuals never need an oil change (which IMHO is not true) that the autos don't either. This was confirmed to me by a Honda/Peugeot mechanic in a dealer in Carlow who said to me "nah we wouldn't bother changing the gearbox oil in Hondas as they don't give trouble. Peugeot on the other hand... pure sh*t... blah blah"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

My wife has a 99 civic auto for the last 3 years with no problems, it has passed two nct tests without doing any work first. I service it with castrol oil and keep an eye on the ATF, the oil never turns black.
    Id buy another one without thinking twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

It's a basic enough box and the engine isn't that powerful. Make sure they fit a proper stereo and an immobiliser (if one isn't fitted)
    Don't take the mileage seriously if they don't have the auction sheet from Japan (which they probably won't) Insist on a new timing belt and aux belts and 4 new tyres as the ones from Japan will be in shoite and are prob winter tyres seeing as there aren't any alloys.

Its a 1.5 cc engine, so I am happy with that.
    It has a stereo already fitted.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the auction sheet, immobiliser,timimg belt, 4 new tyres etc etc

Its a 1.5 cc engine, so I am happy with that.
    It has a stereo already fitted.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the auction sheet, immobiliser,timimg belt, 4 new tyres etc etc

All I'll say is ATF ATF ATF

the stereo on it is a Japanese market one and won't have RDS or Alternative Frequency so it'll be a pain to live with , also the frequencies will all be wrong as Japanese FM band is different to ours - it runs from 76 to 88 whereas we broadcast from 87 to 108. this means that the only station you can get is Radio 1.

A solution to this is to fit a band expander to the aeriel, this means for example that 88.8 would appear as 76.1, 98.0 could appear as 79.9, 104.4 could be 87.4
    As there's no RDS, you won't know what station you're listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€6K is crazy money for an almost 8 year old Civic auto.

Here is an Irish one that is 2 years younger for similar money:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195596737

bazz26 wrote: »
    €6K is crazy money for an almost 8 year old Civic auto.

Here is an Irish one that is 2 years younger for similar money:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195596737

Fair enough but as I am living in Dublin I do not want to travel to Wexford.

I will try and negiotate a deal with the Sales guy in Clontarf Auto's.

But thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

I think that's ridiculous. To buy an older Jap model with no history over a newer Irish model (where getting parts etc is no problem)
    It's not as if it's in another country. It's only Wexford and the car is much less of a risk.

What would you do for example if you needed to get a gearbox or even a headlight for the import?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think that's ridiculous. To buy an older Jap model with no history over a newer Irish model (where getting parts etc is no problem)
    It's not as if it's in another country. It's only Wexford and the car is much less of a risk.

What would you do for example if you needed to get a gearbox or even a headlight for the import?

+1

I'd be prepared to do a little bit of travelling rather than get fleeced.

Getting parts for the Jap import won't be any harder, but I agree. Wexford may have a lot of Dubs who sold their council houses, people with quare accents and members of the travelling community, but it's not that far away. For the sake of a much better deal it's worth travelling, or even paying someone to do it.

How many Japanese model EP3 Civic hatchbacks in automatic do you reckon there are in the country? I doubt there are many. Theoretically you can get any part from a Honda dealer. but as you know yourself these can be very expensive. Then take into account simple things like getting it serviced, air and oil filter, brake pads, shocks, exhaust. I doubt these are all shared with the European model.
    Do they use the same engine ECU and gearbox ECU software as the European model? Can a Honda dealer actually use their computer on a JDM Civic? What happens if an airbag light comes on?

From my experience with Toyota, it's possible to get parts from Japan, but they're a lot more expensive and delivery takes longer. also ECUs etc aren't compatible.

How many Japanese model EP3 Civic hatchbacks in automatic do you reckon there are in the country?
    Fsck all (I was agreeing with you).
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Then take into account simple things like getting it serviced, air and oil filter, brake pads, shocks, exhaust. I doubt these are all shared with the European model.
    There would be no problem getting any of these. For example with the DA6 Integra all the brake components, from (and including) the master cylinder down to the pads and discs were shared with the older Prelude and Accord. The oil filter is the same on every Honda except the S2000 and the only odd part was the air filter which the motor factors had but would take 6 weeks to get from Honda.

But I agree. A newer Irish model of the same spec for the same money is obviously a better buy.

From having Japanese model cars myself I know it's not as straightforward as just droppping it in for a service :) At least I have owners clubs to get part numbers, diagnostic procedures and used parts from. For your average punter buying a family hatch it's a pain.

From having Japanese model cars myself I know it's not as straightforward as just droppping it in for a service :) At least I have owners clubs to get part numbers, diagnostic procedures and used parts from. For your average punter buying a family hatch it's a pain.

I think with a Honda it's not so bad, as the parts seem to be re-used down through the generations as the smaller cars get bigger. Eg, speaking of brakes, the Jazz has the same discs and pads as the VTI, as the DA6, as the '88 Prelude. The new Civic has 5-stud wheels and associated hardware which have come for the older Accord. My Accord coupe had the brakes (twin pot calipers, woohoo!) from the older Legend. As stated the oil filters are the same on them all....

JHMEG wrote: »
    Getting parts for the Jap import won't be any harder, but I agree. Wexford may have a lot of Dubs who sold their council houses, people with quare accents and members of the travelling community, but it's not that far away. For the sake of a much better deal it's worth travelling, or even paying someone to do it.

Okay fair enough, might be worth a look, the N11 is a good road now.

I am no car mechanic guys , just an average Joe , so go easy on me.

I did not know that sourcing parts for a Jap import would be a problem so I have reservations now about making an offer to Clontarf Auto's in the new year.

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

To be fair the difference in the parts for a Jap import and an Irish model are minimum, its VERY easy to find parts for jap cars over here, the jap will come with better features as standard compared the the standard irish versions so i would pick up a jap if the price was reasonable.

Dont let the thoughts of " You wont find parts for a jap import here" sway your decision.

I wouldn't be so sure about either of those statements.

A Civic SE model will have front and rear electric windows, electric heated mirrors, front and side airbags, remote locking with double locking and an immobiliser, a factory fitted CD player with RDS and AF, ISOFIX mountings for child seats, air conditioning and a leather steering wheel.
    The Jap model doesn't have all this spec.

Also, if you had to get a used ECU or a gearbox for a Japanese model Civic, how many places do you know of that actually have one in stock? (Apart from a Honda dealer who will order a new one.)

I'm all for Japanese model cars if they're better than the European equivelant or if they weren't on sale outside of Japan. but when there's a European model 2 years newer with more spec for €500 more, then why bother with the risk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

JHMEG wrote: »
    Jap imports... well, make sure you get the original auction sheet, otherwise be content with a fictitious odometer reading.

Honda autos are reliable only if the fluid is changed on schedule, which is around every 50k miles. If you do buy one without a service history make sure this is the first job you get done. It will only cost about 30 euro extra if done as part of a service.

just reading your post bout the ATF fluid changing... if my memory serves me correctly in my honda manual it says about 8 years is the schedule on fluid changing..

i have 44,000 miles on my car now.... do you think i should change the ATF at the next service?

8 years seems like a long time...

one last point -- service costs in the north are way way cheaper in main Honda dealers. saved over 70% on my last service. ( against best price quoted by irish dealer )

Honda08 wrote: »
    just reading your post bout the ATF fluid changing... if my memory serves me correctly in my honda manual it says about 8 years is the schedule on fluid changing..

i have 44,000 miles on my car now.... do you think i should change the ATF at the next service?

8 years seems like a long time...

one last point -- service costs in the north are way way cheaper in main Honda dealers. saved over 70% on my last service. ( against best price quoted by irish dealer )

Check your manual, but it's usually around 50k miles or probably 5 or 6 years. I would do it with the next service anyway, if it's been that long.

Re your last point, no-one, not even a mechanic in Northern Ireland beats the prices I charge myself! :)

but when there's a European model 2 years newer with more spec for €500 more, then why bother with the risk?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

but when there's a European model 2 years newer with more spec for €500 more, then why bother with the risk?

Fair enough in this case with a higher spec European model, in most of the cars ive seen the Japanese imports have all been of a higher spec then the European counterparts of the same years.

Advertisement