Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is religion losing it's grip?

Options
  • 19-12-2009 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Does anybody feel uncomfortable with the level of involvement of religion in every day life - such as politics, media and education?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

We live in a secular society. This is expected, but not always comfortable to those who actually still have a true belief in God.
    There is nothing "religion" can do about it, other than providing alternatives in the areas of media and education. Then the problem becomes funding. People have to care enough to support it, which becomes less likely when the secular world becomes more distracting and attractive.

Just my half-asleep 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

herbiemcc wrote: »
    Does anybody feel uncomfortable with the level of involvement of religion in every day life - such as politics, media and education?

What involvement? Look around Ireland today and what do you see? Rampant licentiousness, anti-social behaviour, public drunkenness, prostitutes on every street corner, half the babies born to unmarried mothers, half of all marriages breaking down, criminals running riot, a murder every day, people been murdered in their own homes, corrupt politicians and business men. The list goes on and one. The RCC may have nominal control over most primary and secondary schools but there is absolutely no evidence that any Christian values are being taught to pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What involvement? Look around Ireland today and what do you see? Rampant licentiousness, anti-social behaviour, public drunkenness, prostitutes on every street corner, half the babies born to unmarried mothers, half of all marriages breaking down, criminals running riot, a murder every day, people been murdered in their own homes, corrupt politicians and business men. The list goes on and one. The RCC may have nominal control over most primary and secondary schools but there is absolutely no evidence that any Christian values are being taught to pupils.
    And let's not forget the child rape, the discrimination against children because they don't believe in a specific god or the right club, the descimination against teachers that don't have the right beliefs, and also the meddling in peoples personal afairs for religious reasons.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

MrPudding wrote: »
    And let's not forget the child rape, the discrimination against children because they don't believe in a specific god or the right club, the descimination against teachers that don't have the right beliefs, and also the meddling in peoples personal afairs for religious reasons.

MrP

Secular schools won't stop child rape. Parents who want to send their children to faith schools should not be discriminated against. We don't want a secular dictatorship meddling in our beliefs.

Read all about Vanessa George.

http://to-catch-a-female-predator.blogspot.com/2009/12/paedophile-vanessa-george-and-evil-that.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I personally think secularism when it is done right is best for Christianity. The only problem is that too many people have ulterior motives when speaking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

To answer the thread title, I think religion is loosing it's grip as people become more and more disillusioned with the hierarchy of the organised religions and start to question the relevance of ancient beliefs when it comes to governing a modern society.

To say the increase in crime rates and decline of conservative society is in direct proportion to the fall in popularity of religion is greatly simplifying the history of the society and religion, not to mention turning a blind eye to all crime committed during more religious times and those heinous crimes committed by the guardians of said religion.

I think somewhat ironically, religions themselves are responsible for their own decline. The obnoxious self-righteousness and oft contradictory faces of public piety and personal sin have done more to damage reputations and sow disaffection than anything modern society has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Secular schools won't stop child rape. Parents who want to send their children to faith schools should not be discriminated against. We don't want a secular dictatorship meddling in our beliefs.

Parents who want to send their children to schools that wish to be able to discriminate against other children shouldn't be sending their children to state schools. The argument isn't against faith schools, it's about asking the general public to fund schools that not all in the general public can attend.

What about all the people that don't want non-secular dictatorships meddling in the education system, do they not have the same rights as you?

I think you'll find Vanessa George worked in a private nursery, not a secular school. If you can link to report stating that child abuse is endemic in state run schools and has been covered up by the education authorities by moving teachers from school to school, you would have a more realistic comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Secular schools won't stop child rape.
    They might not stop it, but I would doubt very much they would cover it up. Child rape is a heinous crime to me, when it is perpetrated by men of god and then cover up by other men of god it just seems more nasty. Call me old fashioned.
    Parents who want to send their children to faith schools should not be discriminated against. We don't want a secular dictatorship meddling in our beliefs.
    No one is talking about discriminating against people of faith. It is about making thing equal for all. At the moment the school system discriminates against pretty much everyone except catholics. You are apparently happy with this, so I assume you are a catholic.

A secular government or school system does does meddle with you beliefs, it does not care about your beliefs, it only cares about giving everyone the same access to services, like education, irrespective of religion.

I should be the opposite of meddling, it should recognise that a person's faith is their own business and they should be free, so long as they do not impact other people, to be free to exercise their beliefs.
    We all know that people from other walks of life rape children. I have to say, I know little about this case, just the basic details. Did her boss, or indeed someone higher like the CEO or MD systematically hide her abuse? Did they tell the police not to worry about it that they would deal with it internally and decide themselves if there was a crime to answer for? Did they move her from nursery to nursery giving her access to fresh children to abuse with no thought for the children whose lives were being ruined, caring only about the reputation of the company? Like I said, I only know a little about the case, I am sure that is all in there somewhere.

MrP

Advertisement