Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubridy's Questioning on Late Late of 3 Priests

Options
  • 18-12-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Did anyone else find Ryan Tubridy's line of questioning very direct and harsh on the Late Late tonight??

Three newly ordained priests, and Tibridy asks them

1. If they agree on sex before marraige
    2. If they agree on contraception
    3. If they agree that priests should be married

and seemed to bully them.

I'm a catholic who does not believe that going to mass is the only way to priase God.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi,

I feel they are questions you can ask anyone, weather they are priests or not.

Regards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The 3 lads would not give their real opinions but gave the party line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Hi,

I feel they are questions you can ask anyone, weather they are priests or not.

Regards.

I felt Tubridy, despite pleading otherwise, was looking for shock headlines.

"New priests say Yes to pre-marital sex" etc.

I know older priests (60+) who are liberal in their views - Tubs was trying to paint these guys either as

a. Super cool, Fr. Damo type priests
    or
    b. Radical loose canons (no pun intended)

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Beeker wrote: »
    The 3 lads would not give their real opinions but gave the party line.

SO is "the party line" that sex is OK before marraige and that priests should be allowed to Marry?

S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Yeah just seen that. Their hesitation in answering some of the questions says a lot. I sensed that they would have answered yes to all of them (well probably not number 2) in a private conversation but when it's on the Late Late you better watch what you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

Of course the questions were direct and a little harsh, but these are the questions that HAVE to be asked. No point beating about the bush anymore.

These priests should have seen these questions coming and should have been prepared for them instead of splutterin' and stumblin' and trying to keep both the clergy and lay community happy at the same time by giving ambiguous and non-committal answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

slumped wrote: »
    Hi All,

Did anyone else find Ryan Tubridy's line of questioning very direct and harsh on the Late Late tonight??

I'm a catholic who does not believe that going to mass is the only way to priase God.

I didn't see the late late tonight...but still, I think it's lovely, and I wish the very best of luck to the newly ordained priests...

I hope they 'live' and 'learn' and rise above the times..I'm confident they will too..

God bless them...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

Enigma' wrote: »
    These priests should have seen these questions coming and should have been prepared for them instead of splutterin' and stumblin' and trying to keep both the clergy and lay community happy at the same time by giving ambiguous and non-committal answers.

I totally agree. They should have answered no to each question. Any RCC priest that does not fully endorse core Catholic beliefs should get another job. Turbidy should have questioned them about Canon Law as well. If the RCC Bishops had obeyed Canon law then there would have been no Child sex abuse cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If you go on the media to be interviewed then you should be ready to expect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

He started off all nicey-nicey and the 3 priests got comfortable and then BAM Ryan just turned on them.
    Fair enough these questions have to be asked. I'd say the only reason he was going hard on them was to please alot of the angry public out there.

I didn't like Fr.Tony the third one at the end (dark red shirt) very much. The way he answered was very defensive and not as open as the other two.

The way the audience laughed when Ryan asked them if they had ever had girlfriends or boyfriends was bloody childish. Least Ryan said nothing about all this is a laughing matter.

They are new priests of course they don't want to maybe loose their job over some view they personally have. They did agree that priests should be allowed to marry and Fr. Tony did point out that priests not being allowed to marry is a man made rule. A very stupid man made rule in my view.

As for the angry woman in the audience getting her view across, she sure as hell did make a good point about the Catholic Churchs treatment of women. Why women are not good enough to be priests in the Churchs eyes, I don't know and that's a whole other dicussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

all religion is man made. why do people keep saying 'not being allowed to marry' is man made. every single thing in that book is man made.

i mean if you don't adhere to the basic beliefs of a religion how can you claim to be catholic? going to mass would seem like a basic part of that religion.

all religion is man made. why do people keep saying 'not being allowed to marry' is man made. every single thing in that book is man made.

i mean if you don't adhere to the basic beliefs of a religion how can you claim to be catholic? going to mass would seem like a basic part of that religion.

Going to mass is not a basic part of religion.
    Personally I believed from a very young age that mass was only a money making scheme and where the locals could dress up in their finest clothes and look down on anyone who wasn't dressed nicely.
    Don't think God cares what you are wearing love!
    You can worship whatever god you want from your toilet seat if you wanted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

I've never actually watched the Late Show, but I do remember a lot of complaining about Tubridy's interviewing of Richard Dawkins. Sounds to me like he's being tough on everyone - which is probably his job.

If both sides (atheistsd and churchgoers) are complaining about him that would indicate he could be fairly balanced.

Well I'm not a churchgoer or an atheist and I still thought he didn't do a good job of the interviewing.

Surprised he didn't get onto Miley Cyrus about those half naked photos of her that went all about the web!

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Surprised he didn't get onto Miley Cyrus about those half naked photos of her that went all about the web!

Probably didn't want to admit that he'd been looking at them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

PDN wrote: »
    I've never actually watched the Late Show, but I do remember a lot of complaining about Tubridy's interviewing of Richard Dawkins. Sounds to me like he's being tough on everyone - which is probably his job.

If both sides (atheistsd and churchgoers) are complaining about him that would indicate he could be fairly balanced.

Actually it's more the fact that he's a rubbish interviewer and gives the impression that he hasn't done any research and is only making up the questions as he goes along and he seems to leave out what others would regard as very important questions and asks what many would regard as very "basic" or trivial questions and many of his interviews seemed to be just stringed along like this poorly overstretched post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This is a duplicate thread of this one:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055774316

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kevinmcinerney

lamb dressed as mutton..They thought they could win our hearts in plain cloths..pah......they never even loed a real person...Tiberdy has backbone...well done sir....He woulodnt let children be abused under his nose...more like him..

And they did Fr Damo all by themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Hi All,

S

They were very fair questions, but one of them seemed a bit uncomfortable answering them.

• Advertisement

I felt Tubridy, despite pleading otherwise, was looking for shock headlines.

"New priests say Yes to pre-marital sex" etc.

I know older priests (60+) who are liberal in their views - Tubs was trying to paint these guys either as

a. Super cool, Fr. Damo type priests
    or
    b. Radical loose canons (no pun intended)

S

As i said, I think the questions were ok to be asked, but you could be right in what you are saying in the reaction that was tried to be provoked.

Any RCC priest that does not fully endorse core Catholic beliefs should get another job.

Why should they. Catholic Priests are human and intitled to a personal view and should be freely allowed to express it.

For too long people in Ireland expected the priest to say and do something just for the sake of it. These days should be well and truly behind us, and if they are not in some places, they should.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I didn't like Fr.Tony the third one at the end (dark red shirt) very much. The way he answered was very defensive and not as open as the other two.

He did come across defensive on the Late Late, but you can find interviews they did on TV3 on you tube (in six parts, it was the midday show) recently and he came across grand, possibly the nicest of the three. Maybe he was brought up as a strick catholic with strict catholic views and possibly believe the traditional values. I would not put him down for been defensive. May in another interview with a different person carrying out the interview he would appear to be totally different.

PDN wrote: »

Ryan is fairly fair with the questions he asks on the LAte Late. All his guests get the few easy questions and the tough ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Malty_T wrote: »
    Actually it's more the fact that he's a rubbish interviewer and gives the impression that he hasn't done any research and is only making up the questions as he goes along and he seems to leave out what others would regard as very important questions and asks what many would regard as very "basic" or trivial questions and many of his interviews seemed to be just stringed along like this poorly overstretched post.

complete bs,why do people not like Tubridy just because he's a bit smug,i think as interviewers go esp rte he's very good,name a better one,don't say Parkinson,he was good when he was younger he was living on his name for years,
    Pat K: Couldn't hold a decent conversation with any good lookin women or anyone showing a bit of cleavage
    Gaybo: Condesending beyond belief,also was in love with both Bono and Sinead o Connor
    He's the best of those 3 anyway

heavyballs wrote: »
    complete bs,why do people not like Tubridy just because he's a bit smug,i think as interviewers go esp rte he's very good,name a better one,don't say Parkinson,he was good when he was younger he was living on his name for years,
    Pat K: Couldn't hold a decent conversation with any good lookin women or anyone showing a bit of cleavage
    Gaybo: Condesending beyond belief,also was in love with both Bono and Sinead o Connor
    He's the best of those 3 anyway

And hes a million times better than Gerry Ryan.

Ryan and Miriam O'Callaghan are as good as we have in this country and maybe even in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Deise Tom wrote: »
    And hes a million times better than Gerry Ryan.

Ryan and Miriam O'Callaghan are as good as we have in this country and maybe even in Britain.

Gerry on the radio i like but not on the box,
    Miriam is good apart from being very scary at times with those big......................eyes.They're a bit goggoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lamb dressed as mutton..

Miley Cyrus?

Deise Tom wrote: »
    May in another interview with a different person carrying out the interview he would appear to be totally different.
    This is possible.
    don't say Parkinson,he was good when he was younger he was living on his name for years,

Can't say I agree with you there.

• Advertisement

Gerry on the radio i like but not on the box,
    Miriam is good apart from being very scary at times with those big......................eyes.They're a bit goggoly.

Dont have to be looking at her eyes. I am sure most fellows look at something else.

Advertisement