Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evolution of God.. moved from the Debate thread...

Options
  • 18-12-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

Moved from here
    Wicknight wrote: »
    I would be happy to discuss this further in another thread

OK then lets do just that :D
    If supernatural concepts are the product of the evolution of the human mind, and all humans are very closely related to each other (100,000 years ago there were only 4,000 to 15,000 humans alive on Earth), why would they have developed varying and differing concepts?

Well yeah, that is sort of the point.

These are universal concepts, produce by the human brain. We can study them as such. Christians don't have a brain vastly different to Hindus or Native Americans.

We know in fact left to their own devices children will produce "gods" from their own imaginations and assign the same properties to them that are common throughout world religions, if the concepts are not implanted in them first by parents.

Because we are all human and humans are very closely related to each other. These concepts are the product of the human mind, and the human mind is pretty much the same across the species.

It is the same as language, different world languages may be structurally different but the vast majority of them work on the same basic principles because the vast majority of humans have evolved the same basic mental processes for structuring language.

If all that is true then that goes completely against the view posited by Robert Wright in his book: The Evolution of God. He posits the idea that monotheism was something that came late in the day after many meanderings from sun Gods, to star gods, to wind gods to thunder gods and so on. Do you side with Wright on this one or Richardson? Did the idea of a Supreme God evolve over time? If so, then how come, according to Richardson, so many disparate and geographically unconnected cultures evolved the same idea very early on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If all that is true then that goes completely against the view posited by Robert Wright in his book: The Evolution of God. He posits the idea that monotheism was something that came late in the day after many meanderings from sun Gods, to star gods, to wind gods to thunder gods and so on.

Well I can't say I've read either of the books you mentioned, but that doesn't go completely against this view either.

"Sun" gods star gods wind gods your god are all basically the same thing, the human mind applying agency to nature. We have evolved to believe that there are human like agents at work in nature doing things. These are our "gods"
    Do you side with Wright on this one or Richardson?
    They are not mutually exclusive. A monotheistic god responsible for everything is not particularly different to a set of gods who are responsible for different things. The principle is again the same, human like agents who operate in nature. This is how our brain has evolved to view the world around us.
    Did the idea of a Supreme God evolve over time?
    It seems to have, the earliest monotheistic-style religions seems to have been branches of the polytheistic religions such as in Egypt, which possibly inspired Judaism (if Wikipedia is to be believed)

Monotheism seems to have developed in parallel with the idea of a king or supreme tribal ruler.
    If so, then how come, according to Richardson, so many disparate and geographically unconnected cultures evolved the same idea very early on?

Again haven't read his work, you will have to clarify what you mean by "very early on"? Is Richardson saying that monotheism developed first? That would be counter to my understanding, that monotheism grew out of polytheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

If this is gonna get all sciency and let's quote people from various books written in the last so many years...then I don't really see the point tbh.

lmaopml wrote: »
    If this is gonna get all sciency and let's quote people from various books written in the last so many years...then I don't really see the point tbh.

Getting "sciency" is the point, see the original post in the thread that this was moved from

This thread is about the evidence that gods and other supernatural elements are the product of the human mind and the way it evolved. Possibly it belongs in the A&A forum but by the grace of the mods it stays here for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

Getting "sciency" is the point, see the original post in the thread that this was moved from

This thread is about the evidence that gods and other supernatural elements are the product of the human mind and the way it evolved. Possibly it belongs in the A&A forum but by the grace of the mods it stays here for the time being.
    Nice.

Another point I was thinking about on the train was that even monotheistic religions such as Christianity and Judaism have multiple supernatural entities that take on different roles (ie are used to explain different aspects of nature).

The Abrahamic religions have only one "god", but have concepts such as angels, demons and Satan as forces in nature. God and his angels explain the "good" things and Satan and demons explain the "bad" things.

This is not really that different from the polytheistic religions, where different gods were responsible for different aspects of nature.

It comes down to semantics and theology more than anything, whether you think Satan is an angel or Loki is a "god", they fulfill the a similar purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

You might be interested in the website below.

http://evolution-of-religion.com/publications/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Surely "The Evolution of God" is the original oxymoron?

SW what happened man? I got all my ducks in a row ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

SW what happened man? I got all my ducks in a row ....

Ooops sorry, I do forget some posts :pac:

OK, from what you posted above:
    Well I can't say I've read either of the books you mentioned, but that doesn't go completely against this view either.

"Sun" gods star gods wind gods your god are all basically the same thing, the human mind applying agency to nature. We have evolved to believe that there are human like agents at work in nature doing things. These are our "gods"

But why would we evolve agency to nature in the first place? How did we evolve to a point where we would self imposed the need for agency in nature onto ourselves?
    They are not mutually exclusive. A monotheistic god responsible for everything is not particularly different to a set of gods who are responsible for different things. The principle is again the same, human like agents who operate in nature. This is how our brain has evolved to view the world around us.

If monotheism grew out of polytheism then that means that we believed in many different God's before we started to believe in one God. If that's not true then polytheism must have come out of monotheism. I believe that this is the case based on Richardson's research. He found that throughout the world hundreds of civilizations started off in monotheism. My original question was: How can so many diverse cultures separated geographically evolve the same concept?

It seems to have, the earliest monotheistic-style religions seems to have been branches of the polytheistic religions such as in Egypt, which possibly inspired Judaism (if Wikipedia is to be believed)

That is not what Richardson found though. He found that the most ancient of cultures were monotheistic.
    Monotheism seems to have developed in parallel with the idea of a king or supreme tribal ruler.

OR the idea of a supreme ruler started because of a beleif in a supreme God.
    Again haven't read his work, you will have to clarify what you mean by "very early on"? Is Richardson saying that monotheism developed first? That would be counter to my understanding, that monotheism grew out of polytheism.

Yes that is what he is saying. The following comments on the book from Amazon says it best:

"The study of religious anthropology is a sociological field dominated by evolutionary thought. As the "just so" story goes, humanity first developed brands of animism and polytheism to plead to gods of specific animals, seasons, and natural forces to aid in their daily lives. From there, polytheism turns to henotheism and brands of theism. And, the tale sometimes goes, theism will evolve to atheism which will be the pinnacle of sociological evolution. As Huxley put it, we will then have all the benefits of Christianity without any of the drawbacks.

The strength of Richardson's book is the powerful and well-documented refutation of this tale. His primary goal is to present the case that God placed himself as the only Creator God in the hearts of humans, and that the most "ancient" peoples among us still "remember" that truth. In other words, monotheism is the most ancient religious preference of the human race."

But why would we evolve agency to nature in the first place? How did we evolve to a point where we would self imposed the need for agency in nature onto ourselves?

The most supported theory is that viewing agency in nature originated as a survival method. It helps to see the trees moving or a sound in the bushes not as nature but as a something coming to get you because it might actually be something coming to get you.

Another theory I've come across that sort of ties into that is that it was too much work and hassle to evolve two ways of viewing the world, viewing the world of people and human interaction and viewing the world of purposeless nature. Instead to save brain power we used different bit, the bits that work out a tree is about to fall are similar to the bits that work out that a person is about to jump of a bridge, and thus there is criss cross between the two (the tree is about to fall because of this human like reason ie the tree god commands it)

If monotheism grew out of polytheism then that means that we believed in many different God's before we started to believe in one God. If that's not true then polytheism must have come out of monotheism. I believe that this is the case based on Richardson's research. He found that throughout the world hundreds of civilizations started off in monotheism. My original question was: How can so many diverse cultures separated geographically evolve the same concept?
    My own understanding, and I'm not familiar with Richardson's book, is that the earliest known religions were polythestic. But that doesn't matter so much for your question, how can diverse cultures evolve the same concept. The answer to that is easy, because we are all human and humans are quite similar.

We all have the same brains, brains that have evolved to view the world in a certain way. These diverse cultures are much newer than the brains that produced them.
    That is not what Richardson found though. He found that the most ancient of cultures were monotheistic.

Well I haven't read Richardson's research. From Googling I think Richardson was trying to say that all world religions start off with a concept of not only a monotheistic god but the Hebrew God and that this was embedded in them from the start (he seems pretty popular on Creationist websites probably because of this theory).

Given that Richardson (according to Wikipedia) is not an historian or archeologist, rather a Christian missionary, and given that his work seems (from what I've read) to be based on interpretations of the stories of East Asian tribes within the context of Christianity, I would be some what skeptical of his claims. Again I'm only reading the other side, I haven't read his book I wouldn't want to completely dismiss what he wrote without ever reading it but at the moment I don't see his work as having over turned the generally held historical view that religions start off as polythestic.
    OR the idea of a supreme ruler started because of a beleif in a supreme God.
    Possibly.
    "The study of religious anthropology is a sociological field dominated by evolutionary thought. As the "just so" story goes, humanity first developed brands of animism and polytheism to plead to gods of specific animals, seasons, and natural forces to aid in their daily lives. From there, polytheism turns to henotheism and brands of theism. And, the tale sometimes goes, theism will evolve to atheism which will be the pinnacle of sociological evolution. As Huxley put it, we will then have all the benefits of Christianity without any of the drawbacks.

I appreciate that this is not your words, but I think it needs some clarification.

The historical idea that this is how religion developed is not "just so". It is the most supported historical theory. It wasn't just made up by atheists as the author of that comment seems to imply.

Also viewing the progression from polytheism to monotheism as progress is some what short sighted. Monotheism is not consider to reflect a more advanced form of religion. After all while the Hebrews were running around the desert the Greeks and Romans were taking over the world. Polytheisms didn't seem to do them much harm and polytheistic religions still survive and are very popular to this day.
    The strength of Richardson's book is the powerful and well-documented refutation of this tale. His primary goal is to present the case that God placed himself as the only Creator God in the hearts of humans, and that the most "ancient" peoples among us still "remember" that truth. In other words, monotheism is the most ancient religious preference of the human race."

Again from reading about Richardson's theory (rather than the theory itself) it seems some what lacking in support.

Also while I can say this was Richardson's motivation it does seem to have been grabbed up by those who feel the standard historical theory is counter to their religious beliefs, and the idea seems some what agenda driven.

So all that would make me skeptical of the idea. Is there anyone else who has confirmed Richardson's theory, using the standard ancient civilisations around the furtile cresant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

The most supported theory is that viewing agency in nature originated as a survival method. It helps to see the trees moving or a sound in the bushes not as nature but as a something coming to get you because it might actually be something coming to get you.

Another theory I've come across that sort of ties into that is that it was too much work and hassle to evolve two ways of viewing the world, viewing the world of people and human interaction and viewing the world of purposeless nature. Instead to save brain power we used different bit, the bits that work out a tree is about to fall are similar to the bits that work out that a person is about to jump of a bridge, and thus there is criss cross between the two (the tree is about to fall because of this human like reason ie the tree god commands it)

Not sure I buy that. It assumes a lot and relies heavily on a lot of faith in order to accept it fully. But theoretically it is quite plausible I suppose.
    My own understanding, and I'm not familiar with Richardson's book, is that the earliest known religions were polythestic. But that doesn't matter so much for your question, how can diverse cultures evolve the same concept. The answer to that is easy, because we are all human and humans are quite similar.

That is a good answer but if we all started out with say; many different God's and then some cultures evolved or devolved to worship just one God but yet we still have religions that have many God's, probably more than religions which are monotheistic, then why this side road into monotheism when polytheism worked quite well? I think the best explanation is that God actually exists and the Bible record is this God's clear record of Him and our part in His story, and that from the very beginning our memory traces of Him splintered off into many different aspect of His nature and resulted in the many polytheistic world views we see today.

I know, coming from a Christian that sounds like a very biased position to take but it also makes quite a lot of sense. I mean evolution usually adds on things over time, as in the case of simple celled organisms evolving into more complex life forms and then from this more complex form to growing limbs, organs and so on. They usually start out simple (i.e. monotheism) and end up very complicated organisms (i.e. polytheism). For me it simply doesn't make sense even looking at it from a natural evolutionary perspective, that we would start out with many Gods and over time evolve a simpler worldview eventually morphing into monotheism and then eventually atheism :D If I were an atheist and expressed this view I would be viewed as being very biased toward my worldview in drawing that conclusion. But the simple fact remains, evolutionary theory always starts with the simple and branches out into the more complicated, so if religion did evolve then even if God doesn't exist it naturally follows that monotheism came first. I might be wrong but I think what I've said has a lot going for it from a just from a common sensical point of view.
    Well I haven't read Richardson's research. From Googling I think Richardson was trying to say that all world religions start off with a concept of not only a monotheistic god but the Hebrew God and that this was embedded in them from the start (he seems pretty popular on Creationist websites probably because of this theory).

Well I suppose he was trying to show the merits of Christianity and that it wasn't simply an offshoot of one of the polytheistic religions, as some have claimed. Maybe he was trying to balance the books. But even if he was wrong about the those religions having Hebraic attributes they still display monotheistic attributes, be they Hebraic or not. The conclusion I draw (and I know this is biased on my part) is that the reason they were monotheistic is because of their memory traces from their ancestors from the garden on wards. But even if that is false it makes more sense to assume that we started out monotheistic and added on more God's as time went by.
    Given that Richardson (according to Wikipedia) is not an historian or archeologist, rather a Christian missionary, and given that his work seems (from what I've read) to be based on interpretations of the stories of East Asian tribes within the context of Christianity, I would be some what skeptical of his claims. Again I'm only reading the other side, I haven't read his book I wouldn't want to completely dismiss what he wrote without ever reading it but at the moment I don't see his work as having over turned the generally held historical view that religions start off as polythestic.

Well it's not just him who's saying it, Anthropologists Dr. Wilhelm Schmidt, The Origin and Growth of Religion also expounds on this idea. Plus the Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics concurs.

Excerp from an artilce on Probe.org - full article here

Examples of Original Monotheism

Here are just a few examples. The Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics states that the Chinese culture before Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism, 2600 years before Christ, worshipped Shang Ti. They understood Him to be the creator and law-giver. They believed that He was never to be represented by an idol. When the Zhou Dynasty controlled China during the years 1066-770 B.C., the worship of Shang Ti was replaced by the worship of heaven itself, and eventually three other religions were spawned in China.

In a region north of Calcutta, India, there lived the Santal people. They were found worshipping elements of nature. However, before these practices developed, they worshipped Thakur Jiu, the genuine God who created all things. Although they knew Thakur Jiu was the true God, the tribe forsook worshipping Him and began entering into spiritism and the worship of lesser gods who ruled over some aspect of creation.

In Ethiopia, the Gedeo people number in the millions and live in different tribes. These people sacrifice to evil spirits out of fear. However, behind this practice is an older belief in Magano, the one omnipotent creator.

The Incas in South America also have this same belief. Alfred Metraux, author of History of the Incas, discovered the Inca's originally worshipped Viracocha, the Lord, the omnipotent creator of all things. Worship of Inti, the Sun God, and other gods are only recent departures from this monotheistic belief.

These examples follow Paul's description in Romans 1 where he states that men departed from worship of the creator to the worship of the creation."

I appreciate that this is not your words, but I think it needs some clarification. The historical idea that this is how religion developed is not "just so". It is the most supported historical theory. It wasn't just made up by atheists as the author of that comment seems to imply.

But wouldn't you agree that the view that religion and the one supreme God idea simply evolved from man's mind is as biased a position to take for an atheist (because it fits in with the atheistic worldview) as what you seem to be suggesting might be the case for Don Richardson's view (as it fits in with the monotheistic worldview) above. I understand your hang ups, but it works both ways doesn't it?
    Also viewing the progression from polytheism to monotheism as progress is some what short sighted. Monotheism is not consider to reflect a more advanced form of religion. After all while the Hebrews were running around the desert the Greeks and Romans were taking over the world. Polytheisms didn't seem to do them much harm and polytheistic religions still survive and are very popular to this day.

Well that is precisely my point. I don't hold to the view that monotheism is a progressive outgrowth from polytheism at all. I believe the opposite view is most likely the case, that the more advanced polytheism came from the more primitive monotheism, a position that is in agreement with general evolutionary theory.
    Again from reading about Richardson's theory (rather than the theory itself) it seems some what lacking in support.

Also while I can say this was Richardson's motivation it does seem to have been grabbed up by those who feel the standard historical theory is counter to their religious beliefs, and the idea seems some what agenda driven.

So all that would make me skeptical of the idea. Is there anyone else who has confirmed Richardson's theory, using the standard ancient civilisations around the furtile cresant

Well in the absence of any refutation of his findings I don't see why we should not accept them. Plus I have given you other sources which do support his findings and one of them was the Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics. But even without all these books, I personally cannot reconcile what we have come to accept from general evolutionary theory which always starts with the simple and progresses to the more advanced, to then turn around and accept the complete opposite when it comes to religion. It's very move-the-goal-posty if you ask me.

Not sure I buy that. It assumes a lot and relies heavily on a lot of faith in order to accept it fully. But theoretically it is quite plausible I suppose.
    It doesn't rely on any faith (though given how we all seem to define those types of words different I'm not sure :pac:) in the sense that it is based on scientific research. It is certainly not conclusive yet, but it seems a reasonably well supported theory.

That is a good answer but if we all started out with say; many different God's and then some cultures evolved or devolved to worship just one God but yet we still have religions that have many God's, probably more than religions which are monotheistic, then why this side road into monotheism when polytheism worked quite well?
    Why do some cultures play football and others play Rugby? There are a lot of different ideas about how monotheism came about. It was most likely cultural shifts.

An important point is that this is cultural evolution, not biological evolution. The brains that produce polytheistic religions are pretty much the same as the ones that produce monotheistic religions.
    I think the best explanation is that God actually exists and the Bible record is this God's clear record of Him and our part in His story, and that from the very beginning our memory traces of Him splintered off into many different aspect of His nature and resulted in the many polytheistic world views we see today.

Well yeah but isn't that all faith (something you criticised only a few minutes ago).

For example can you demonstrate we actually have a "memory trace" of him to begin with? What is the science behind that?

Can you explain why both polytheistic and monotheistic religions appeared before Moses (ie the first written record of the Hebrew God). Where were the Egyptians getting their religion from, given that it is quite different in structure to the Hebrew religion.

I mean "God did it" can be used to explain anything and everything if you are prepared to just start speculating as to what you think God did. A person could just as easily say that all world religions are explained by the Greek gods and then start speculating as to what they did to bring these religions about.

The whole point of taking a more measured critical look at this is that you don't start wildly speculating using a supernatural deity, because you can basically make up any explanation for anything and you have no idea if you are correct or not.
    I mean evolution usually adds on things over time, as in the case of simple celled organisms evolving into more complex life forms and then from this more complex form to growing limbs, organs and so on. They usually start out simple (i.e. monotheism) and end up very complicated organisms (i.e. polytheism).
    Not really, with either biological evolution (Darwinism) or cultural evolution. When it comes to the evolution of cultural ideas things can easily go the other way, start of complex and get similar. For example one theory of how monotheism caught on was that it was becoming more difficult to explain religions as people moved around (eg. slavery), and as such the religions themselves became less complicated and more stream lined as people simply stopped including the more complicated details.
    For me it simply doesn't make sense even looking at it from a natural evolutionary perspective, that we would start out with many Gods and over time evolve a simpler worldview eventually morphing into monotheism and then eventually atheism :D If I were an atheist and expressed this view I would be viewed as being very biased toward my worldview in drawing that conclusion.
    Well thankfully that is a bit of a straw man position. The mistake the Amazon poster was making was viewing evolution as a progression, that monotheism is "better" than polytheism.

This is the same mistake people make with biological evolution, thinking that a human is some how "more evolved" or "better evolved" than a bacteria. That doesn't hold.

There is nothing objectively "better" about monotheism over polytheism, in the same way there is nothing objectively better about soccer than rugby.
    But the simple fact remains, evolutionary theory always starts with the simple and branches out into the more complicated
    No, not true. Evolution will often make things less complicated and more steam lined (in a couple of thousand years you probably won't have your little toe)

But also need to be clarified, that is biological evolution (Neo-Darwinian evolution). That explains the evolution of the brain to the point of humans creating religion.

The differences between monotheism and polytheism have happened in a blink of an eye in terms of biological evolution so it is very difficult to say that this occurred because of biological changes in humans.

It most likely occurred due to cultural changes, and as such Darwinian evolution becomes less relevant (unless you want to get into the topic of memes, which I don't think is necessary)

So even if that idea that evolution always makes things more complicated (it doesn't) that would actually be some what irrelevant.

Just wanted to clarify that point.
    The conclusion I draw (and I know this is biased on my part) is that the reason they were monotheistic is because of their memory traces from their ancestors from the garden on wards.

Well you can draw any conclusion you want, the question is though can you support that conclusion? Otherwise someone else from another religion could draw a similar conclusion back to their creation myth. It means nothing ultimately if you can't start verifying if you are in any way correct?

This is an issue atheists face all the time. You may think its great that your religion fits and explains this, but that is because you only seriously consider your religion and it's explanation, because you're a Christian.

Myself though I've no reason to consider your religion's explanation as any more true an explanation than any other religion and I have to consider all of them.

So it is only when you get into verifying and testing can you actually start saying you have an accurate explanation. Otherwise you are just picking arbitarily, and explanation.

The links you have linked to are interesting, when I've studied them I'll reply more.
    But wouldn't you agree that the view that religion and the one supreme God idea simply evolved from man's mind is as biased a position to take for an atheist (because it fits in with the atheistic worldview) as what you seem to be suggesting might be the case for Don Richardson's view (as it fits in with the monotheistic worldview) above.

Not really, since the idea that religion is the product of human evolution is a theory that can be studied and tested, where as saying something like that God implanted a memory in all of us really can't (as far as I can tell).

I've seen a lot of scientific research showing how humans produce religious like behavior due to how our brains have evolved for survival and hunting. I mean people aren't just making this stuff up.

Another important point is that from a scientific point of view we start with a blank slate, a "we don't know what causes this behavior" position. We don't start with a position that it was God until we demonstrate otherwise. In science you don't assume that a phenomena like religious behavior is cause by the things people believe in until demonstated otherwise.

"God did it" is just another competing theory, one that no one can come up with tests or models. As such it is a very weak theory with very little support. If other theories that can be tested and can be verified are also explaining the phenomena of religious behavior then these are naturally going to be consider better theories.

The purpose of science is to explain the phenomena (religious behavior), not to demonstrate that it isn't what religion X claims it is. If someone wants to try and show that religion X's claim is accurate go ahead. But they have to do so to the same standard as everyone else.

At the moment what ever its faults the idea that religious behavior is the product of how the brain evolved is miles ahead of religious idea simply by virtue that it is a proper scientific theory that can be studied and tested and modeled and verified.

Well that is precisely my point. I don't hold to the view that monotheism is a progressive outgrowth from polytheism at all. I believe the opposite view is most likely the case, that the more advanced polytheism came from the more primitive monotheism, a position that is in agreement with general evolutionary theory.

Well in the absence of any refutation of his findings I don't see why we should not accept them.

That isn't really how it works. It is up to the person putting forward the idea to have it confirmed by others in order to be accepted, rather than accepted as is until it is refuted.

The reason for this should be obvious, the fact that no one has refuted it doesn't mean it is a good theory it just means no one has refuted it for what ever reason. For example, if I publish on my personal website my theory on how the moon was formed by a space ship hitting Mars the fact that no one has bothered to refute that means nothing for the accurate of the theory. What would mean something with regard to the accuracy of the theory would be if someone else verified my results.

So I'm not really interested in the absence of refutation, I'm interested in the abundance of confirmation. Though you have linked in your previous post that I'm going to study.
    But even without all these books, I personally cannot reconcile what we have come to accept from general evolutionary theory which always starts with the simple and progresses to the more advanced

Leaving aside that Darwinian evolution doesn't really apply with regard to the change from poly to monotheism, that isn't even what Darwinian evolution says.

Things do not get more advanced or less advanced. They get more adapted. Getting more adapted can be getting similar or getting more complex.

Advertisement