Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Scientist becomes Paysite

Options
  • 18-12-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

Check it out lads.
    Access to newscientist.com is now restricted to 10 free views a month.

Focus: How shi*ty is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well there's 1/10 wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I'm new. Would you care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try going thru a series of proxy servers, or see if Google etc caches it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You can still view the article for a few seconds before it locks up right? How fast can you take notes.;)
    Eitherway, it doesn't bother me. Get more comfort out of reading the magazine. Are videos restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You might try going thru a series of proxy servers, or see if Google etc caches it

Or get a subscription!

Was it not always only open to subscribers though - any descent-length articles you had to log in to view?

• Advertisement

eightyfish wrote: »
    Or get a subscription!

Was it not always only open to subscribers though - any descent-length articles you had to log in to view?
    Yeah, but there appears to be unlimited access now to all articles from everywhere in the magazine just that you're restricted to 15 a month.

Just checked it there.
    You get a short flash applet welcoming you to the site and informing that you've now viewed six articles. Register online now to view 15 per month.
    http://www.newscientist.com/video?bcpid=25196461001&bclid=1904732932&bctid=64831925001
    Doesn't seem to be any restriction on video.
    Near as I can tell everything else bar the blogs are counted as an article.

As Eighty said, get a subscription it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yeah, but there appears to be unlimited access now to all articles from everywhere in the magazine just that you're restricted to 15 a month.

So that's... better, no? No access to full articles vs 15 a month.

eightyfish wrote: »
    So that's... better, no? No access to full articles vs 15 a month.

Yeah. I'd say it's actually better but then again you have to weigh that up with those 3 paragraph bits of news item that you click costing the same. If the user's not careful they'll have 15 used up in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

If you have a slow connection or a quick finger hitting Stop on your browser just after the text has appeared but before the page finishes loading stops the warning from coming up.

This is probably because they arent fully set up yet but has been working a charm for me so far.

Advertisement