Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas songs/hymns

Options
  • 18-12-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I like "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". In contrast to many Christmas carols with stupid lyrics, it is full of good doctrine!

As for secular songs, I used to really like Lynyrd Synyrd's "Santa's Messin' With the Kid" - but unfortunately that song title carries a whole new set of connotations in Ireland today! :eek:

For those unfamiliar with the music we wrinklies used to listen to, the song was about a husband (the 'Kid' of the title) who ran Santa out of town for trying it on with his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Plowman wrote: »

My favourite has always been "Away in a manger". A lovely innocent song.

Happy Christmas Plowman!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

One of my favourite religious ones is "Gaudete".
    My favourite popular one is 'Stop the Cavalry' by Joha Lewie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

its a shame your post did not receive more posts and interest, people would much rather argue about christianity as opposed to enjoying it.

I like them all, as long as their lyrics dont contradict my Catholic Doctrine.

I love silent night and that little drummer boy song. to name just two.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's still a few days to go (and I don't want to get carried away), but I'm kinda in a funny mood at the moment.

Songs of Praise, did an EXCELLENT rendition of this a few years ago (last year?) where an entire Cathedral was singing in unison. I can't find it on youtube though:(, but this version is pretty good.

RTE showed that, I think, last Christmas (or the year before?:confused:)

Happy Christmas!! :D

• Advertisement

Not a hymn, but this song is more of a Christmas nostalgia one for me.
    (The first movie theme I learned:)).

Still brings a smile.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Malty_T wrote: »
    There's still a few days to go (and I don't want to get carried away), but I'm kinda in a funny mood at the moment.

Songs of Praise, did an EXCELLENT rendition of this a few years ago (last year?) where an entire Cathedral was singing in unison. I can't find it on youtube though:(, but this version is pretty good.

RTE showed that, I think, last Christmas (or the year before?:confused:)

Happy Christmas!! :D

hahhaa the violinist looks like geri hallawell ( sp? ) LOL

anyhoo, the song is great and the voices are great, I'd much rather watch a busker on grafton street in all his poverty belt that tune out, it would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Mary's Boy Child, without a doubt! It gets straight to the point of Christmas!

Mary's Boy Child, without a doubt! It gets straight to the point of Christmas!

As long as anyone doesn't play the Boney M version in a public place.;)

The original and still the best.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'm a fan of 'O Come All Ye Faithful', although 'O Holy Night' also gives me chills. I think they're both so powerful, especially when many voices of a choir are singing.

I love the Barenaked Ladies' rendition of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.'

And Tori Amos' version of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.'

And the Jackson Five's 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.'

Mmmmm, Christmas songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

'O Holy Night' would probably be my favourite religious one, although there are probably a few I'm forgetting about about.

My favourite secular one is 'Fairytale of New York'. Great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

'O Holy Night' would probably be my favourite religious one, although there are probably a few I'm forgetting about about.

My favourite secular one is 'Fairytale of New York'. Great song.

Ditto for this too. 'O Holy Night' tells the true Christian story and 'Fairytale of New York' is a sad secular version of what Christmas is for many of the less fortunate of us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

SeekUp wrote: »
    I love the Barenaked Ladies' rendition of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.'

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I really like 'Joy to the World'..
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hark the Herald Angels Sing and We Three Kings Of Orient Are would be up there in my favourites.

Myself and a few hardy souls from my church went door to door singing carols last night, most people thought we were collecting for charity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

When it comes to Christmas songs, if it's not about Jesus then I don't want to know about them. Mary's Boy Child is one of my favourites but Silent Night is my No.1. It's just how I want my Christmas to be, a silent night.

Advertisement