Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

configure router to connect to broadband connection

Options
  • 17-12-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I need to set up a small office. I got a broadband connection today & want to connect this to a 2821 router. The router will connect to a switch which will in turn connect all pcs etc to the LAN. The ISP provided me with a single ip address, subnet mask, default gateway & dns addresses. I have an idea of what I need to do but cant get it working. I know I will have to use natting so all pcs can conect to the internet using the one ip address the ISP gave me. However, none of the pcs can ping this ip address. Should my wan interface be configured with the ip address the ISP gave me or the default gateway the ISP provided?

Any help would be much appreciated. currently the switch acts as a dhcp server. All pcs get an address in the range 192.168.0.0 network. The interface on the router that connects to the switch has also been configured with an address from the 192.168.0.0 network. A pc can ping the switch & the interface on the router that connects to the switch but not the interface connecting to the broadband connection & the pc cannot access the internet. Ping response when pinging the wan interface is 'destination host unreachable'

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Tell your Office router to point too the ISP router. On the ISP router, use the address range, it breaks down the WAN address for you.

Router#config t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Router(config)#int fa0/0
    Router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.3
    % Incomplete command.
    Router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0
    Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Router(config)#ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0
    Router(config)#

Very tired just in from work, above is a guide. Subnetting is all over the place too. Just get you going, if you don't have an answer tomorrow. I'll throw up a full config.

Also whats you LAN address giving by the ISP router including the mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

Hi Deirdra,

Happy Christmas.

Tbh you are short on relevant information to post an acurate response. Answer the following question and we should be able to help you out.

Are you connecting to eircom dsl or some other service/provider.

Does the router have a dsl wic card or are you using a provided modem in bridged mode in front of the router.

What version of IOS is on your router , this affects the pppoe configuration.

Also as the config for this can be a bit of a pain in the arse , you can also use the Cisco SDM Gui to complete the task.

Anywho let us know and well get back to you.

Kevn...

Advertisement