Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punto head gasket gone

Options
  • 17-12-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Brothers car has the usual Punto (01) head gasket failure, rough running and over heating. So the head needs to be skimmed, gasket replaced, etc.

Has anybody had this done in a garage in south Dublin/Wicklow (preferable) and what did you pay? It is the 8V engine.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Have seen a few people getting it done ,and have done a few myself. would expect to pay about 550 euro's for the job to be done right. that would include
    Head set(head gasket,valve seals,rocker gasket etc..)
    New head bolt(special stretch bolts only to be used once)
    Timing belt kit (new belt and tensioner)
    Water pump
    thermostat
    coolant
    oil and filter change(where did all the water go?? usually in with the oil!!!)
    Spark plugs
    Head to be skimmed
    Now you can get it done for less but in my experience it's a false economy.
    Sorry I don't know any garages on the southside to recommend but most garages would be familiar with the punto's!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

***Punto head gasket gone***

that has to be the most common thread title in the motor forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Had a smililar problem with a slightly older punto.

Got the work carried out with O'Sullivans Garage Dromina, Charleville (just outside Charleville).

I got all the same work carried out for a hell of a lot less that the figure quoted above of €550. If I'm right it was more like €350 . Car still going strong after 30K miles and not a problem.

I'd advise to shop around but stick to the list that beachlife quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

fryup wrote: »
    ***Punto head gasket gone***

that has to be the most common thread title in the motor forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=9623123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Out of curiosity, was any work done on the cooling system of this car in the last few years that he knows of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Shires wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, was any work done on the cooling system of this car in the last few years that he knows of?

Timing belt and water pump were done just over a year ago.

Advertisement