Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplying references in support of application

Options
  • 17-12-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    One of the colleges I want to apply to asks for a minimum of two written references to be supplied, ideally from people working in the field to support my application. I have a few references from volenteering over the years, but the one that I have from a Dr, is from a Dr who's emmigrating in 3 weeks so he won't be a readily available by phone reference, if you get me? I'm currently volenteering in 2 hospitals for the last few months, and I could ask, but I think none of the doctors there would know me well enough for a character reference. I could ask the family doctor, but in fairness I wouldn't have attended her in over 4 years, or my own doctor, but again that may be putting him in an awkward position. I have various references from work/volenteer supervisors which I could include, but they're not really in the field of medicine. So my question is who do I include?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hey Jessibelle,

It's for UCD right? I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they check the references. Has the doctor already written you a reference? If you are pleased with it I would go with this doctor and once there is an email address supplied, I'm sure that will be fine.

You could always ask the doctors at your work placement for references too. No harm.

I think I actually stuck in four references/letters of recommendations! Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Ta kindly Larianne, aye it's for UCD alright, thought I was being subtle like ;)
    Grand stuff so, will just stick em all in and let them sort themselves out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I am going to hijack this thread somewhat (sorry jess) as covers issue I have.
    So I am contemplating applying for 2010. I already graduated with an honours degree in computer apps at DCU in 2008 but fair to say that's not the path I want to go on with my life. I knew that near the end which is 1 of the reasons I only got a 3.1.

My income since I graduated has been derived from poker hence for all intense and purposes I am self employed. Previous job was in US in 2007 but they don't give out references and before that work experience in 2006.

All this means I am struggling for referees that are suitable. I doubt anyone from the staff in my old course will really remember me as I didn't really stand out and anyway it not exactly going to be glowing as I wouldn't deserve it. I'm not sure who else I could ask. I made a lot of mistakes throughout my time and firmly believe that I am much more likely excel this time round but my record my suggest differently.

So who am I supposed to ask?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

cooker3 wrote: »
    I am going to hijack this thread somewhat (sorry jess) as covers issue I have.
    So I am contemplating applying for 2010. I already graduated with an honours degree in computer apps at DCU in 2008 but fair to say that's not the path I want to go on with my life. I knew that near the end which is 1 of the reasons I only got a 3.1.

My income since I graduated has been derived from poker hence for all intense and purposes I am self employed. Previous job was in US in 2007 but they don't give out references and before that work experience in 2006.

All this means I am struggling for referees that are suitable. I doubt anyone from the staff in my old course will really remember me as I didn't really stand out and anyway it not exactly going to be glowing as I wouldn't deserve it. I'm not sure who else I could ask. I made a lot of mistakes throughout my time and firmly believe that I am much more likely excel this time round but my record my suggest differently.

So who am I supposed to ask?

Thanks
    Start doing some work with a special needs group or doing some kind of volunteer work and you can get quite good character referees from that

Advertisement