Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membrane sweep

Options
  • 17-12-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I had a sweep today... not the most pleasant thing in the world but I asked for it!

Has anyone has any experience of having one and then going into labour soon after? I'm trying everything to have this baby and be home for Christmas! Probably wishful thinking tho!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I had one with the twins at 38 weeks, then again at 38+4, but nothing happened. Hope you have better luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I had a sweep today... not the most pleasant thing in the world but I asked for it!

Has anyone has any experience of having one and then going into labour soon after? I'm trying everything to have this baby and be home for Christmas! Probably wishful thinking tho!

Hot curry hot bath hot sex. So I was told anyway. That and some raspberry leaf
    tea and clary sage oil and baby arrived in a hurry a few hours later. Probably coincidence though as I was 6 days overdue. Worth a try!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Castor Oil.. My friend had a spoonfull and her little one arrive that night.. I must add that she was a week overdue already..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Be aware that Castor Oil can make you very sick (both directions) and if you do go into labour you could be so tired out from this that you'd be a lot more likely to have an intervention in the birth.

Personally I'll be using my birthing ball and sex (not at the same time!) and probably some nipple stimulation. All the nice things!

TMI sorry! LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jesus we tried everything on the last one and she still came 2 weeks late. I wonder how effective all these measures really are (the bouncing, sex, etc.). I have heard good things about the sweep alright but I can't remember if my mrs got one last time or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Not in labour yet anyway!

In fairness I've still a week to go, but I definately won't be going down the hot curry or castor oil route! Last thing I was is to go into labour with the runs!

My grandma suggested gin and tonic! Tis the season to be jolly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think sex is the best option, you should discuss it with your partner, he might be willing to help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Are you the partner in question? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Funny ticker coincidence if not! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That so cute :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Be aware that Castor Oil can make you very sick (both directions) and if you do go into labour you could be so tired out from this that you'd be a lot more likely to have an intervention in the birth.

Personally I'll be using my birthing ball and sex (not at the same time!) and probably some nipple stimulation. All the nice things!

TMI sorry! LOL

lol I don't think there is TMI with pregnancy! Although I read a study the other dya saying that they have found a strong link between nipple stimulation and the start of labour! I think i too will be trying this one! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Only thing with the nipple stimulation is you have to do it for ages! I'm talking hours before you have any effect. Wouldn't be the best start for Breastfeeding either! Would highly recommend the sex though and (tmi I know) try do it before you go to sleep and leave the em...stuff...in there over night. Will bring you back to those days when you were ttc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Darthhoob

have to agree the man milk works! last time i was pregnant me and the OH had sex about 2amish...8.30am i woke up with pains....by midday baby was here lol!

They say to 'do it' twice in an hour to try bring on labour.

Being pregnant has just shown me that all my midwifery knowledge is text book... I don't feel like doing it twice a week let alone twice in an hour!

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I think sex is the best option, you should discuss it with your partner, he might be willing to help.

Please see previous post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

I hope you have some movement by now. Just to let you know that I requested a sweep at 39 + 5 and had a show that day which progressed to early labour...took the little messer another 2 days to show her face but it definitely worked for me.

Not what you want to hear but baby will come when s/he's good and ready. Use this time to put your feet up and have people wait on you - it's the last time in your life that you'll be the centre of attention. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Havent been on boards in ages!
    I had a sweep done 2 days before I went into labour...so it could have worked:cool:
    That raspberry leaf tea is lethal:eek: I was drinking gallons of it from 36 weeks as its meant to tone your uterus but the only thing it seemed to do was make my contractions come on top of each other but didnt make the baby come out any quicker:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

xzanti wrote: »
    Castor Oil.. My friend had a spoonfull and her little one arrive that night.. I must add that she was a week overdue already..

Don't use the Castor Oil! Believe me it's so not worth it. Intervention up the wasoo is the only thing you'll get from that! Besides apparently it's very hard to get hold of in Ireland these days (took me three days to find it). After I gave birth my partner went home and promptly poured the rest of the bottle down the sink!!

Still waiting :mad:

I had a show the day after the sweep, and then another 2 days later but still no baby.

Sex didn't work either :rolleyes:

No doubt it'll start just as lunch is being served tomorrow!

Advertisement