Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - is it needed for insurance?

Options
  • 17-12-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't search for nct (too small), and didn't find anything after searching for test or insurance :(

A discussion has grown in another category, regarding the NCT test.
    Apart from it being a stand alone legal requirement, is a valid NCT required for car insurance, or tax for that matter?

Personally, I've never been asked any NCT details when renewing either my insurance or tax.

Someone mentioned that the insurance companies would cancel any claims, if the car didn't have an NCT. Is this true?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If a car isn't roadworthy it can't be insured.

Insurance is protecting you in the event of an accident, and you don't want that accident to be caused by a car not roadworthy eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I had a look at my insurance policy, and there is no mention of a NCT cert.
    It does say something about maintaining the car in a safe and functional manner, but doesn't require proof of NCT.

So back to my questions:

Is a NCT cert actually required for insurance or motor tax?
    If the car didn't have a NCT cert, (perhaps waiting for a test date), would insurance companies cancel any claims?

Well to get a car on the road it has to be roadworthy, to be able to drive it on the road it has to be insured, so yes, indirectly it is needed...which I've already said, but in a different way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

if there is a crash and the car has no nct does that mean the driver cant claim so?

if there is a crash and the car has no nct does that mean the driver cant claim so?
    If it's insured then he can, if it isn't he can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rafo802

Hi,

I checked this out lately myself with an insurance company and the tax office.

I was interested in buying a car with no NCT.

The insurance company told me that, yes they could insure me on the car even though it had no NCT, however if the car was then in an accident they may be reluctant to pay out.

Yes, you can tax a car with no NCT.

Regards.

Well to get a car on the road it has to be roadworthy, to be able to drive it on the road it has to be insured, so yes, indirectly it is needed...which I've already said, but in a different way.

You still haven't answered either question :confused:
    What do you mean by indirectly? It's either directly needed or it isn't.

The car has to be roadworthy, agreed.
    The car has to be insured, agreed.
    The NCT cert only certifies the condition of the car, on the day of the test.
    I have never been asked for an NCT cert by any insurance company, or motor tax office.

rafo802 wrote: »
    The insurance company told me that, yes they could insure me on the car even though it had no NCT, however if the car was then in an accident they may be reluctant to pay out.

Yes, you can tax a car with no NCT.

Thanks rafo802

mrmac wrote: »
    You still haven't answered either question :confused:
    What do you mean by indirectly? It's either directly needed or it isn't.

The car has to be roadworthy, agreed.
    The car has to be insured, agreed.
    The NCT cert only certifies the condition of the car, on the day of the test.
    I have never been asked for an NCT cert by any insurance company, or motor tax office.
    What I mean is, when you're insured you need the car on the road yeah, so if it has no NCT it's not roadworthy, so you can't take it on the road. Get me now?

I'll try condense it more. You NEED to be legal on the road in two ways (Let's leave tax out for the sake of an argument), NCT and insurance. Without one you can't have the other because to be totally legal you need both, get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I work for a large insurance broker.

Most insurance companies will insure a car with no NCT, but will exclude claims caused by the fault for which the car failed NCT. That is, say you take your car in and it has a dodgy handbrake. If you don't fixed it as soon as is reasonably possible, park your car on a hill, get out, and the handbrake gives and the car rolls down the hill hitting other cars/property/people, they'll refuse to pay out. They may have to pay for the 3rd party damage, as per the road traffic act, but any damage to your property (i.e. the car) will not be covered. And they will be fully within their right to pursue you for any monies they have paid out to 3rd parties involved.

Again, this might vary with the company you're with. If you're buying a car that has no NCT i'm sure you could negotiate a period of grace to get the car NCT'd. It can also depend on the reason the car has no NCT. If it failed on emissions, its not going to be a big problem with an insurer, where as the example I mentioned above may affect their decision to offer cover.

Though this will only be a temporary measure, as it is a legal obligation that you have an NCT cert if your car is eligible for testing (i.e. over 4 yrs old, not a classic etc.)

Edit: Some insureres will request a copy of an NCT cert when effecting a policy with a car over a certain age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'll try condense it more. You NEED to be legal on the road in two ways (Let's leave tax out for the sake of an argument), NCT and insurance. Without one you can't have the other because to be totally legal you need both, get me?

You dont need insurance to have a valid NCT....

jackncoke wrote: »
    You dont need insurance to have a valid NCT....
    My main point was to be legal on the road, so please read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

My main point was to be legal on the road, so please read it again.
    Yea but he didn't ask that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Without one you can't have the other

Thats what you said,which is totally incorrect

hunter164 wrote: »
    Yea but he didn't ask that.
    Think about it, if you're gonna insure a car but not go on the road then what's the point of insuring it.
    If you NCT it and don't drive it, what was the point in the NCT.

Don't see how that wasn't relevant tbh.

I see where you're coming from but he didn't ask that.

I see where you're coming from but he didn't ask that.
    I read the original post as a more open question rather than it specifically pointing in one way.

So I gave my two cents.

I totally see your point and it wouldn't make sense to insure a car without it being NCT'd but his question didn't ask that.

I totally see your point and it wouldn't make sense to insure a car without it being NCT'd but his question didn't ask that.
    Again, I read it as an open question, not one that specifically asked anything, just something to do with insurance + NCT.

Declaring myself out of this thread to prevent further off topic posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As for road tax, yes you can tax the car without they asking you for the NCT.

As for insurance, every one is different !!!

FDB will not insure a car that doesn't have a valid NCT at the time you take out the insurance.

Quinn or 123.ie will happily insure you with or without NCT, HOWEVER !!!! if you have an accident and they reckon, the accident was caused because your car wasn't road worthy, they will not pay out, at least on the fully comp.

I think, that they are forced to pay out for damage to third party, but they might come back and get it off you in that case.

So in any case, make sure your car is road worthy at any given time, if you intend to drive it on public roads, NCT or not.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement