Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a jazz CD for Xmas. New releases, best of's etc etc.

Options
  • 17-12-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My father in law really likes his jazz, I usually get him a sweet new release CD.

However this year I haven't had a chance to see whats new or if there are any best ofs etc etc.

He's a big fan of Stevie Wonder, Ramsey Lewis.

Any sugguestions.

Thanks in advance Folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You could check out names like Joe Lovano, our own Ritchie Buckley, Bob Berg, Dave Holland, Michael Brecker, Stan Getz, another home grown artist..Louis Stewart, Dave Brubeck, and Rick Margitza (this might be hard to find in Dublin).

If he is a big jazz fan like you say, then he probably already has albums by the "giants" such as... Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, "Cannonball" Adderley, Bud Powell, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus etc.

Never really liked "best of's".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

oldscoil wrote: »
    He's a big fan of Stevie Wonder

He might like this then ->

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Tribute-Stevie-Tribute-Wonder/dp/B000025FCG

Might be difficult to find in a music shop though - I imagine Tower records would be your best best.

You'll definitely find this one in Tower though:

http://www.amazon.com/Gershwins-World-Herbie-Hancock/dp/B00000DBYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261060308&sr=1-1

It's Herbie Hancock's tribute to George Gershwin. Stevie Wonder makes a guest appearance on the album. I have it and it's great.

Hope that helps,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Bodysmart wrote: »
    He might like this then ->

You'll definitely find this one in Tower though:

http://www.amazon.com/Gershwins-World-Herbie-Hancock/dp/B00000DBYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261060308&sr=1-1

It's Herbie Hancock's tribute to George Gershwin. Stevie Wonder makes a guest appearance on the album. I have it and it's great.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Thanks for that Paul,

The Herbie Hancock would be bang on and would actually keep in the theme of the Joni Mitchell Letters I got him last year :P

I rang Tower in Wicklow St and they said Easons branch has it on the shelves :eek: :D ...but when I rang the Eason branch they said they didn't :(

Thanks anyway Paul...... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

You're very welcome oldscoil.

You really can't go wrong with Herbie Hancock :cool:

Advertisement