Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Broken - Need Help!

Options
  • 17-12-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guys the worst occured! :( My PlayStation 3 died on me... a week before Christmas no less! I tried to turn it on and it beeped, a yellow light appeared, then it started flashing the red light.

I'm just wondering what my options are right now. I think my PS3 is out of warranty (it's two years old). My dad picked it up in HMV before Christmas 07. It's a 40 GB model.

Would I be pushing my luck in trying to go back to HMV and exchanging for a slim or even a second hand console? I understand that Sony will ask you to pay for repairs and I most likely won't get it back before Christmas! *cries*

i really would like it back ASAP so any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Try your hand at looking through the troubleshooting here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361006

Plenty of threads done on this really

If in doubt give these guys a shout:

consolerepairsireland.ie

They fix most problems

• Registered Users Posts: 33 colliehandy

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Try your hand at looking through the troubleshooting here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361006

Plenty of threads done on this really

If in doubt give these guys a shout:

consolerepairsireland.ie

They fix most problems
    thanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

hey if you need ur ps3 fixed fast contact the guy who runs this site, i brought my ps3 to him, and he fixed it in like an hour consolerepairsireland.ie

it cost me 80 euro, i think my blu ray drive was broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is it just me or is it not time for a sticky on " Is your PS3 broken? (YLOD)" , explaining all options :
    -warranty Yes/No
    -suggested D.I.Y fix
    -suggested Professional fix
    -contact details
    -estimated costs
    etc
    etc

M
    p.s
    don't ask I ain't got the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 emmethay

THIS IS FOR ANYBODY WITH A PS3 (3-4 YEARS OLD) THAT HAS EXPIERENCED THE "YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH" OR ANY OTHER FAULTS NOT CAUSED BY YOU..

This is the ONLY SOLUTION and this is proof it works.
    Nothing dodgy or illegal here, just your rights as a consumer.
    :D

I recieved a 160gb model ps3 for christmas last year and this year I encountered the yellow light problem like so many of you out there. I eventually found the reciept only to find it was 1 month past the warranty date. I, again like everyone else assumed i was screwed and so brought it to "Lawless Bros" in Kinsealy (recommended by a friend. Paid them €30 consultation charge and then a week later got a call to say the ps3 motherboard or something was fried, Options according to them was to trade in for reconditioned model or buy a new model..

(I brought PS3 160gb(€450 when new) back to HMV. I left with NEW slimline 120gb model ..(had option of 250gb). I also recieved an additional game as it was a bundle deal and ALSO €130 on a HMV store card to make up the price difference)

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!

I rang Consumer affairs and visited consumerconnect.ie and enquired about this problem and this is what i was told. A one or two year warranty from a store (e.g HMV) is only an additional "guarantee" for parts etc blah blah
    However when you buy from ANY shop you enter into a buyer / seller "contract" with the shop and NOT the manufacturer of the product.
    SO:

1: Bring product (PS 3) back to the shop and DO NOT send it back to Sony.

This brings the situation on to the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act (found on consumerconnect.ie).
    Any goods bought MUST BE of:
    • Merchantable Quality
    • Fit for purpose
    • As Described

In this case with a PS 3 and the yellow light etc, the issue is, the expected life span of the product. In this case probably 4-5 years.(EST)

So if ps 3 breaks / malfunctions within that time frame you are entitled to by LAW ,THE THREE R's, a repair /replacement/ or Refund from the seller, in this case HMV.

N.B:: If you and the seller agree to a repair , which the seller is entitled to do, the product has to be fixed within "reasonable time" and be permanently repaired, If the product breaks again , you are entitled to one of the other options, replacement or refund.

Also if (eg ps3 costs €450 when bought and same model its replaced with is now only 300€, you are entitled to the €150 cash back.

Any Q's emmethayde@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

My 80 gig PS3 died with YLOD in early December. Bought it in Belfast at the end of Jan.

Since it was still under warranty, but bought in the UK, and I wouldn't be in Belfast until after xmas, I phoned the Sony customer support line and asked them what I needed to do. They said to bring it back to the retailer (HMV) and they'd do a swap for me - no need for reference number etc. Seemed grand.

Brought in back to HMV on High St. in Belfast on Thursday. Told them it had been bought there and failed under warranty. Produced PS3, controller, power cord and usb lead in bag. "We can't take that - you need the original packaging". Point out to them that it's nearly a year old, packaging is long gone, and there's no requirement to retain packaging for a failure under warranty. Get bumped up a notch in the pecking order in-store.

Same guff from the new bloke re the packaging. After I refuse to play ball on the need for original packaging he says I need to talk to Sony customer support, and they'll courier collect and replace. Point out that I've already spoken to Sony and they directed me to the retailer. Get into a whole debate about who's problem this should now be. No joy in that regard.

Next up - "have you the sale receipt?"

"Nope - but here's the visa statement for the sale"

"That's not proof of purchase"

"I'll think you'll find that it is"

End of that particular angle.

HMV bloke looks in bag.

"It's missing leads. We can't take it back without all the original leads"

(I've never used the scart stuff - it was ditched in favour of my own HDMI lead from day one)

Me - "Would it help if I bought a scart lead and put it in the bag right now? - it doesn't really change the fact that I'm returning a failed product that needs replacing"

HMV bloke - "No, it needs to be Sony original leads"

Me - "now you're just being willfully obstructive"

HMV bloke - "what model PS3 is it?"

Me - "It's an 80 gig version"

Him - "Ah well - we aren't allowed swap them for 120 gig versions - you'll need to talk to Sony"

Me - "I spoke to Sony - they sent me here"

Him - "We can't swap 80 gig PS3's for 120gig ones. Sony won't allow us"

Me - "I think we both know that's not true. I personally know one person who did just that with HMV in Belfast"

In the heel of the hunt, and after throwing a serious of misinformed/strategic spanners in the customer support works, HMV refused to play ball. I left with the guy's name and their customer help number.

Phoned Sony again and told them my tale of woe. Turns out that they'd sold me a pup with the first set of instructions. Supposed to be having a courier call around to replace PS3 with refurb on Monday. Thanks Sony for sending me on a wild goose chase, and HMV for trying to renege on their obligations regarding terms of warranty. I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future thanks to the pile of bull**** served up regarding my consumer rights by the games section staff.

Hmmm, seems Sony sent me on a second wild goose chase.

I'd phoned the Sony helpline from Belfast and asked for instructions given that I was normally Dublin-based and wouldn't be in the UK. They said that the same courier refurb swap deal operated in Dublin and we agreed to yesterday as swap day at my Dublin address.

Nothing happened.

Got back on to them earlier (from Dublin) and it, unsurprisingly, turns out that there's a different arrangement for the Republic. I've had to resubmit my case details and am waiting for an email from Sony or their courier to let me know the arrangements.

Grrrrr!

No follow-up email yesterday or today, and now the customer support line number is just ringing twice and disconnecting.

Finally got through to Sony via email.

Sending the dead PS3 off for replacement with refurb tomorrow (Nightlink couriers collecting). Sony will accept a visa statement as proof of purchase/warranty - I checked. Ironically I found the reciept today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

alastair wrote: »
    Finally got through to Sony via email.

Sending the dead PS3 off for replacement with refurb tomorrow (Nightlink couriers collecting). Sony will accept a visa statement as proof of purchase/warranty - I checked. Ironically I found the reciept today.

Its good that you are getting sorted out, even if they did send you on a wild goose chase.....

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its good that you are getting sorted out, even if they did send you on a wild goose chase.....

I'll breath a sigh of relief if/when a working replacement arrives. But yep - it's looking positive now.

No courier collected today. Can't say I'm surprised.

Maybe tomorrow will be different.

Broken PS3 finally made it back to Sony. Expecting a refurb this week.

I'll probably trade it in for a new PS3 slim sharpish. The fresh warranty seems like a sensible move, given the lottery that is YLOD with the fat consoles.

Refurb arrived last Weds. Traded it in for a 120 gig slim and a game on Friday.

Figured that the investment of the price that Sony charge for an out-of-warranty repair was better spent on a new one-year warranty and a console that might not suffer from YLOD to the same degree.

Advertisement