Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Glow off Mayo Coast Tonight

Options
  • 17-12-2009 12:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I have lived in Achill all my life and I saw something tonight which I cannot explain. There was an orange glow on the ocean and in the air above it which was many miles long. It looked like when you are driving into a town from the countryside and you see the lights of large towns boucing off the low clouds above. But there was no cloud out there tonight as I could see the stars right down to the horizon and no towns either.

It was so erie and spooky. My father, brothers and uncles all fishermen and I called them to tell them about it and the had a look and were just as amazed.

It was not the Northern Lights as this was to the South East and I have see the aurora from Achill many times.

This lasted about 20 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

No pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Massive c.m.e. due according to nasa, you may have seen the northern lights! They are sometimes (rarely) visible from parts of ireland under ideal conditions. Any photos?? Lucky :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

efla wrote: »
    Massive c.m.e. due according to nasa, you may have seen the northern lights! They are sometimes (rarely) visible from parts of ireland under ideal conditions. Any photos?? Lucky :)

Was not the Northern Lights. Have seen them many times. This was emanating from the sea.

6th wrote: »
    No pictures?

Tried but it was faint and miles out.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just wondering.. Arent there phosphorescent algae or plankton that glow? And what time did this happen and for how long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

It was faint extending up for miles? Did it move or was it straight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Try again tomorow night with a video camera?... Nice experience to see that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I have seen these before (I live close enough to Achill when at home). In the right conditions you could be treated to a show a few hours long (as I was at the time) though it was a distinctive blue-green "wave" across the sky to the north behind the mountains, not out at sea and definitely not orange.

They do look otherwordly and very spooky if you didn't know what they were though. Did you check with coast guards for any offshore activity in the area?

Just kinda hung there in the same position and then vanished very slowly. What was strange was that as the light left the surrounding air, the sea light reamined just as bright and then is slowly went out as well as if it were sinking to lower depths.

There was also a strange smell in the air like freon or ozone. Like you get from the output of air conditioning units.

Just a band stationary for miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Work on the gas field?

Victor wrote: »
    Work on the gas field?

That's what my uncle thought. Being a fisher man he was rightly concered by pollution from the Shell field. No, it was not that. My grandmother said she has seen this golden mist before but not since the 1960's. It was in the same place too and one time moved inland and all the clothes in the washing line had that same freon type smell.

Advertisement