Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial arts classes for young kids (5 year olds)

Options
  • 17-12-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Are there any martial arts/self defense classes in Dublin 15, ideally Castleknock Or blanchardstown?
    I'd like to sign my little fella up for classes any suggestions would be welcomed, I don't have any particular preference to the type of skill just as long as he enjoys it and gets plenty of excercise.
    Thanks in advance for you help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There was a thread on this some time ago, hopefully that might be of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Hi Victor,

Check out Judo up at Coolmine.

Great trainer, excellent club, fun and friendly atmosphere and it will be a great source of exercise for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Hi again Victor, I saw your posts in the Martial Arts forum.

A couple of things.

My son is in the Coolmine Judo club, he's 7, but small, he loves it.
    There are some kids there that are 6 and they can handle it.

If your son is nearly 6 and he is big for his age go back to the club in a couple of months and say he's 7. That seems to be what a lot of the parents do.
    I did it by the book though and went back down when he turned 7.

Personally I think Judo is the style for kids, as its how kids play and fight, they grab and wrestle without hitting, well, mostly.
    If your son did Judo and someone picked on him, he could easily take him to the ground and make him submit without actually hurting the other kid and therefore get away with it. But if your son did Karate and he was attacked by a bully, if your son kicked the other boy, even in self defence he would be in serious trouble.

Wait a while and go back to the Judo club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

suey71 wrote: »
    Hi again Victor, I saw your posts in the Martial Arts forum.

A couple of things.

My son is in the Coolmine Judo club, he's 7, but small, he loves it.
    There are some kids there that are 6 and they can handle it.

If your son is nearly 6 and he is big for his age go back to the club in a couple of months and say he's 7. That seems to be what a lot of the parents do.
    I did it by the book though and went back down when he turned 7.

Personally I think Judo is the style for kids, as its how kids play and fight, they grab and wrestle without hitting, well, mostly.
    If your son did Judo and someone picked on him, he could easily take him to the ground and make him submit without actually hurting the other kid and therefore get away with it. But if your son did Karate and he was attacked by a bully, if your son kicked the other boy, even in self defence he would be in serious trouble.

Wait a while and go back to the Judo club.

Great advice, than you!
    I may bring him along to the Karate for the next 12 months as he's only just turned 5, more so for the exercise and discipline, and transition into the Judo, as it sounds like a great compromise between fun/exercise and confidence building.
    Thanks again, you're advice was really helpful.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

theres karate in Castleknock Community Centre also. linky to timetable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

7 to 8 is a bit on the late side for a 5~6 yr old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There are also Kickboxing classes in the community centre in Castleknock Village. I'm not sure of times but I'll ask my little brother later as he attends classes there on a Saturday. :)

There are also Kickboxing classes in the community centre in Castleknock Village. I'm not sure of times but I'll ask my little brother later as he attends classes there on a Saturday. :)

Saturday nights at 5:30 in the Parish Hall. They will need to be 5 and up though.
    Under 5 is a very young age to start sports at martial arts in particular can be hard on the joints. The instructors there are great with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Saturday nights at 5:30 in the Parish Hall. They will need to be 5 and up though.
    Under 5 is a very young age to start sports at martial arts in particular can be hard on the joints. The instructors there are great with kids.

Seems he just answered without me asking him, thanks dojojoe

Seems he just answered without me asking him, thanks dojojoe

I lurk.
    You have a PM too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement