Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAB vs BBA Certification

Options
  • 17-12-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a question about certification of products or services. I am looking at building a 200mm cavity and am concerned about the cold bridge caused by ss wall ties. Basalt wall ties would appear to address this issue and I see that the TeploTie was recently accredited by the BBA. While I recognise that this only covers construction in the UK, would it be realistic to suggest that standards of construction here are so different that these wall ties would not be suitable? Is there any means by which using a BBA certified product would be acceptable here?

http://www.magmatech.co.uk/downloads/TeploTie_BBA_Cert.pdf

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is covered under TGD D materials and workmanship

In this Part,
    “proper materials” means materials which are fit for the use for which
    they are intended and for the conditions in which they are to be used,
    and includes materials which:
    (a) bear a CE Marking in accordance with the provisions of the
    Construction Products Directive; or
    (b) comply with an appropriate harmonized standard, European
    technical approval or national technical specification as defined
    in article 4(2) of the Construction Products Directive; or
    (c) comply with an appropriate Irish Standard or Irish Agrément
    Board Certificate or with an alternative national technical
    specification of any State which is a contracting party to the
    Agreement on the European Economic Area,
    which provides in
    use an equivalent level of safety and suitability.
    “Agreement on the European Economic Area” means the Agreement
    on the European Economic Area between the European Communities,
    their Member States and the Republic of Austria, the Republic of
    Finland, the Republic of Iceland, the Principality of Liechtenstein, the
    Kingdom of Norway, the Kingdom of Sweden and the Swiss
    Confederation, as published in the Official Journal of the European
    Communities (OJ L1/9 of 3rd January, 1994).

My interpretation of the bolded part is that BBA certificates are to be considered comparable to IAB certs....

there are many materials out there that do not have IAB certs,but do have BBA certs... these are competely acceptable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

textbook :D as always Syd
    I doubt anyone here disagrees, even with out the above extract from the TGD, i'd still be perfectedly happen with BBA (essentially the IAB's big brother)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

With specific reference to those ties . About 4 months ago I asked 3 different engineers ( each of whom i have high regard for ) if they would be satisfied to certify large cavity walls ( >= 110mm ) using these ties .

Each said no - not without product certification .

I asked again after the BBA cert was published - each then said yes .

In the meantime this self builder in the UK used them last year - http://www.tonyshouse.info/photosgroundfloor.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Splinter Cell

Thank you all, appreciate you posting the relevant guideline Syd.

Had best of intentions 4-5 months ago when PP was granted but got sidetracked at work. Must get my a## in gear over Christmas and get this thing designed and started! Have to say though that 200mm full fill cavity with these ties looks like a better thermal performance than my original plan, i.e. 100mm partial fill.

Anybody with experience of wide cavities have any tips or concerns that I should consider? Cavity closers, window mounting, wall plate for 1.5 story, etc? Thanks, SC.

Advertisement