Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing Belt Snapped with 10,000 mls on it.

Options
  • 16-12-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi, Can anyone tell me who is responsable for my cars engine rebuild.

I got the Timingbelt & pump plus a full service back in March in my usual garage at 103,000 a few short of what was needed.Last Friday the car started shuddering etc and broke down.Got it to the garage and they have stripped it right back , a new engine is probably needed at this stage.I was told the belt had snapped.

My Question is ,Who is liable ? Garage or The Maker of the Belt

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nor, cars and parts break all the time.

Your contract is with the garage, they should be your first port of call for money. but really, you need to talk to a solicitor and an independent mechanic / engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

I am in negotiations with the garage insofar as they say the part is to be returned to the manufacturer . Is a solicitor needed ? Sale of goods act etc etc anything there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

I am in negotiations with the garage insofar as they say the part is to be returned to the manufacturer . Is a solicitor needed ? Sale of goods act etc etc anything there?

Garages are quite skilled at heading off these sorts of complaints. Have the garage said how much it will take in parts and labour to repair the car? And, if so, have you discussed with them who is paying for it?

If so, and you are happy with whatever you have agreed, then no solicitor is needed, although its probably wise to agree in writing with the garage to avoid any misunderstanding.

If not, then you need to make attempts to agree something, and in the event that you can't then you will need to consult a solicitor to find out where you stand legally, before deciding how you want to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Auerillo,Thanks for that.I was thinking that .I will keep you all posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soxxbox

I seem to find myself in a similar situation to the stated above, what was the outcome???

• Advertisement
Advertisement