Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming CME

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Not unless you have a telescope and a solar filter I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

If its a big one, and it hits us at night. We might get some northern lights. Be nice to see again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

chem wrote: »
    If its a big one, and it hits us at night. We might get some northern lights. Be nice to see again!
    Really?! I think I might be confused what a CME is. What's it stand for?

Northern lights around now would be excellent, there's a New Moon. :D

thanks for the replys, sure Ill have a look upwartds anyways :) its due on the 18th according to spaceweather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

jumpguy wrote: »
    Really?! I think I might be confused what a CME is. What's it stand for?

Northern lights around now would be excellent, there's a New Moon. :D

Impact of a CME
    When the ejection reaches the Earth as an ICME (Interplanetary CME), it may disrupt the Earth's magnetosphere, compressing it on the day side and extending the night-side magnetic tail. When the magnetosphere reconnects on the nightside, it creates trillions of watts of power which is directed back toward the Earth's upper atmosphere. This process can cause particularly strong aurora also known as the Northern Lights, or aurora borealis (in the Northern Hemisphere), and the Southern Lights, or aurora australis (in the Southern Hemisphere). CME events, along with solar flares, can disrupt radio transmissions, cause power outages (blackouts), and cause damage to satellites and electrical transmission lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Possible sighting mentioned on paranormal forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Stargate wrote: »

Nice. Thanks for that :)

Advertisement