Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting from scratch

Options
  • 16-12-2009 5:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have finally almost finished my house so am putting together the final touches,of course this means my cinema! Over the last few years i ahve been picking up bits and pieces as i go but i have never put them together so that is why i am here. I suppose i just need guidance where to start ( i am a complete beginer)
    Ill list out the gear that i have, i know some will be no good or not required so i will listen to all advice
    Receiver : Yamaha RX V 357 ( about 3 years old)
    Philips FR 980/001 ( about 9 years old)
    CD Player : Marantz
    DVD PLayer : Basic philips
    Projector : In Focus P720
    Speakers : Wharftdale Opal 100 (4 no)
    Wharfdale centre speaker
    Yamaha NX E130 (4 no)
    Yamaha NX C130
    Yamaha Sub Woofter (5W 130)
    I have got some good speaker cable ( the thick double copper cable) and i think i have most of the cable.
    I suppose i am wonder what is my best set up, where do all the units feed into each other.
    The room will be approx 6m wide x 7m long ( with an additional area behind for a bar!)
    If i need to provide more info i would be glad to do so
    I would be looking to add in a media centre to control/play the music and movies and apart from a basic laptop and 1TB harddrive i open to suggestions here also
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sounds like you have a reasonable collection of equipment there. How had you got it connected up before?

If it were me, I'd just connect it all up and see how you like it. With separates, the nice thing is that you can upgrade individual components over time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

i never had the projector and yamaha gear working ( got them second hand recently) so it was just the philips and the whaftdale speakers ( which are monsters, would nearly lift the roof is half up)
    I guess ill have some fun playing with it over the holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ludermor wrote: »
    i never had the projector and yamaha gear working ...

Cool.

The basic idea is that you connect all your sources (CD, DVD etc) into the AVR (yamaha 357) and run the video output from the AVR to the screen(s).

That way audio is pushed to the speakers, and video (where applicable) is pushed to the screen(s).

This means that you can switch between sources on your AVR (eg flick from DVD to CD to Games) and the appropriate video is displayed and the corresponding audio is heard. The Benefit of this is that you only have to run one cable to each display instead of hooking up each source to a separate input.

Post back any questions regarding setup, but you are correct in stating that you will be best off just having a bash at it over the Holidays.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Cheers for that nereid, no doubt ill be back in the new year with queries!

Advertisement