Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itinerary and Budget for South East Asia in Summer

Options
  • 16-12-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi there!

I know there are a lot of other posts on this but would be so grateful if someone could help me a little more!

Right so myself and two others are thinking of doing the SEA route of Thailand, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam in summer 2010. We are planning to leave in July and go for 6 weeks but don't think this will be enough to see everything so maybe 8 weeks.....?

We will want to spend most of the time in Thailand on the Islands and the first/last 3 weeks travelling around between mainland Thailand, up to Loas across Cambodia and into Vietnam. Does anyone have advice on the best route to take?

Wondering as well if anybody has advice on budget per day in each place as no doubt they vary. We are students so we are planning on drinking a lot and eating much less and sleeping anywhere with shelter! :D What are prices for accommodation like?

Also price of flights/buses/trains/boats between the countries/islands once we get over there.

And if there are any places you would recommend to visit/stay away from that would be really helpful!

I have probably left something out but if anyone has any contributions to make it would be much obliged! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭bungaro

hey smash,
    you're dead right to give yourselves at least 8 weeks coz theres so much to do and see around se asia. i know you said you wanted to spend all bar 3 weeks in the islands but if i were you i would do it the opposite way, spend the last 2/3 weeks in the islands and the rest travelling. theres loads of partying to be done in the other countries too! two things i would def recommend are angkor wat in cambodia, unbelievable, and also the cu chi tunnels outside ho chi minh city in vietnam.
    get yourself a lonely planet book for more details but accommodation-wise you can get a decent guesthouse for $5-$10 a night. and if you eat locally you'll spend feck all too. as for prices of travelling it depends where you want to go but just be warned that we were shown pics of luxury buses and ended up getting on a minivan for 12 hours with no air-con or suspension! always ask to see things if you can. also if getting a taxi or tuk tuk don't believe the driver if he says that the place you want to go to is closed, they just want to bring you somewhere they'll get commission!
    you'll have a great time but just remember not to act like stupid tourists and keep your wits about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Definitely doing your timing the other way around. If you think you can be entertained on the islands for 3 weeks your wrong. It's all great but wears off after week and a half. All the other countries have lots to offer and and plenty of partying too.
    If it is partying you want here are few musts

Pai - Northern Thailand

2 day slow boat on the Mekong in Laos

Tubing in Vang Vieng

Saigon - HCMC in Vietnam

Hanoi - Vietnam- although 12am curfew

Koh san road - Bangkok

Koh Pha-Ngan - Thai Island

Dont regret spending most of your time on beaches when you look back on your time in SE Asia in years to come!;)

Bangkok - Chaing Mai - north Laos - south Laos - Cambodia - South Vietnam - North Vietnam - fly to Bangkok and again to Islands

An overnight train journey in thailand is all part of the experience.

If you plan your route and stick to it you will get flights with www.airasia.com for less than €10. Buses can be a real pain in the ass. The only problem is you have to stick to it.

Advertisement